Puppeteer

Author Topic: The Dopey things I do!  (Read 4700 times)

guest22972

The Dopey things I do!
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:22:03 AM »

Went out today to play with the little china Diesel.

Looked at the exhaust and saw the bit of gasket that had blown last time I used it. Remembering the noise and fumes going everywhere I thought best I fix it.
Didn't have another one but I have had good success with aluminium Kitchen foil so I found the wifes stash and headed out.

Folded it over a good many times to get a nice thickness and using the manifold and a drill bit, Pierced some neat holes and bolted it in place. Looked a good job.
One of the bolts is frozen so the stud comes out of the head but it bolted up good and tight and all was well.
Till I went to start the thing.

I could barely wind it over even with the compression release open. On top of that the thing didn't sound right.  I loosened off the alt belt, checked the oil level wasn't over full and pulled the injector wondering if the cylinder was filled with fuel or water or something. Undid the crank breather, still the same.
I wondered if I did the exhaust stud too tight and had bound something up or wharped something in the head. Far fetched but I was out of logical possibilities by this time.
I did manage to crank the thing fast enough to fire but a couple of puffs and it died.

The sound wasn't right and it looked like it was trying to exhaust through the aircleaner.
I backed off the manifold again and the thing was turning as it should again. Wound it up, let the compression release go and off she went... with bits of aluminium chaff hitting me in the leg.

OH ohh, Lightbulb moment.
I forgot to make a hole for the exhaust in that wizz bang gasket didn't I?
Didn't make a gasket, made a blocking plate!

With the thing still running I retightened the manifold nuts, gave it a couple of big hits on the injector pump linkage, blew out some more foil and all was good.
Been purring away for a few hours now. The foil gasket is holding nicely and it's quiet ( as a horizontal diesel can be) and no escaping fumes.

So, If you make your own gaskets, don't forget the opening where the exhaust/ water/ oil/ air is supposed to pass as well as the mounting holes.

In my experience, it will save a lot of trouble.
  :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: The Dopey things I do!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »
Confession:

: a written or spoken statement in which you say that you have done something wrong or committed a crime

: the act of telling people something that makes you embarrassed, ashamed, etc.

: the act of telling your sins to God or to a priest

\kən-ˈfe-shən\

Casey

Me?  I don't cop to nothing!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
Senior moment perhaps? ;)

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »
That's Funny ! I think it's good to confess, it let's the rest of us know we are not the only ones that do stupid shit! I mean have senior moments