Author Topic: Rebuilding an ST2 with Kohler head  (Read 4028 times)

dkeav04

• View Profile
Rebuilding an ST2 with Kohler head
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
I've got an ST2 I nabbed for reasonable given its condition, engine is non running and I plan to give it a teardown/overhaul.  The genhead is a Kohler 7.5kw and is basically shot.  From what I have gleaned the Kohler head isn't worth messing with anyways.  The issue I'm wondering about is, this appears to have been a start-o-matic unit using the genhead to start.  I have not pulled the access panel yet to see if there is a ring gear on the flywheel to convert to a automotive starter, if there isn't can these be sourced considering it is a reverse rotation unit?  Also it appears the Kohler set up may not be a standard SAE housing but something custom, how difficult is it to couple a newer style brushless head like from Yanan to this unit?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Rebuilding an ST2 with Kohler head
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
If your machine lacks the ring gear, a standard ACW flywheel with gear is easy enough to get. Shipping from central Kansas. Kohler really cut the corners when they specified these engines without the ring gear installed. Delco starters and spacers are readily available. The Kohler housing and drive is a custom unit. You can get Lister adapters to allow any of the standardized SAE generator heads to fit your ST2. We stock all these parts and do the conversions all the time. gsj@gci.net

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

dkeav04

• View Profile
Re: Rebuilding an ST2 with Kohler head
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:36 PM »
Dieselgman

That is good news, I think I'll start with the engine first and get a parts list together.  I plan on a little trip out west later in the spring that passes through Kansas so I suppose I could give you a list in advance and just stop on my way.