Author Topic: Wood Base for 6/1 Engines  (Read 4927 times)

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
Wood Base for 6/1 Engines
« on: June 27, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
Given some of the questions lately about engine mounts I thought I would put up some pictures of a temporary base I setup for my 6/1 so that I could use it to run the air conditioner while we still have some heat.  The engine shed I am building keeps growing and is taking longer then I had hoped. :)

The engine is bolted to some 4 foot 4x4s which are bolted to some 8 foot 4x6 skids all hardwood.  The weights on the ends consist of a solid concrete block two flywheels from John Deere hay bailers and four weights from the old style Bobcat skid steer loaders.  Without the weights it wanted to move around some but is solid with them in place.

If I were to build a more permanent wood base I would make something more like this.  It would be all made from white oak or substitute any locally available rot resistant hardwood.  For weight on the ends just set a 55 gallon barrel on each end and fill with water.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 03:38:31 PM by Andre Blanchard »

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Wood Base for 6/1 Engines
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:52:18 PM »
Andre'--

Good set-up!

My engine is sitting on  6x6 framework.  The only change I'd make if I did it over is to put a sheetmetal guard over all the wood as an oil barrier.  I've got a Mini-Petter set up on wood with a metal cap and it's just perfect.

What program did you use for the drawings?  I've been looking for something like that.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:07:00 PM »
Andre'--

Good set-up!

My engine is sitting on  6x6 framework.  The only change I'd make if I did it over is to put a sheetmetal guard over all the wood as an oil barrier.  I've got a Mini-Petter set up on wood with a metal cap and it's just perfect.

What program did you use for the drawings?  I've been looking for something like that.

I use CadKey / KeyCreator at work.  Back when it was just CadKey it was a good system but since they sold out and became KeyCreator it has become a real PITA.  We are currently looking at moving to Solidworks.  I could not justify the cost of the license for either just for myself at home.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 04:48:43 AM »
When those John Deere flywheels are finished holding down your Listeroid.......I'll be needing those!
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 01:18:31 PM »
When those John Deere flywheels are finished holding down your Listeroid.......I'll be needing those!

Got some plans of my own. :)

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »
Andre'--

Good set-up!

I tried AutoCAD, but, could never get the time to learn it well.  I then got AutoSketch which has turned out to be more to my needs.  It uses same file and drawing types as AutoCAD and can read and write AutoCAD files and symbols.  It's meant as an Engineers sketchpad that will work with AutoCAD.       Amazon .com has it for $109.xx
  You can draw your own symbols or use AutoCAD ones, you can save stuff as various file types (including AutoCAD).  You can do precicion drawings and zoom in to get details right because it uses vector type drawing not bitmap.  They also have AutoDesk Inventor at $50.xx, but, that appears to be limited to a set type of task, plumbing or electronic or IC or etc.  Each package costs $50.00. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).