Puppeteer

Author Topic: Solenoid To Cutoff Listeroid Powerline 10/1  (Read 6028 times)

Listerational

• View Profile
Solenoid To Cutoff Listeroid Powerline 10/1
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
Happy New Year,

May you enjoy a year free of Obamacare, the NSA and the IRS.

Can someone recommend a device that I can use to cutoff my generator automatically? I just ordered a smoke detector with a set of dry contacts. Now all I need is something to pull up the lever at the governor when the smoke detector closes its contacts.

Thank You,

Jim

millman56

• View Profile
Re: Solenoid To Cutoff Listeroid Powerline 10/1
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
Jim,   google "syncro start solenoid", there should be something available in 12/24 Volts  with the required movement to accomplish your shutdown,   it`s better to have it configured energise to run and de-energise to stop, this makes for a failsafe system.   If you wire the solenoid feed through a switch in series with the normally closed contacts (if it has them) in the smoke detector,  you would then have an engine run/ stop switch plus auto shutdown.

Mark.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 02:05:39 AM »
Obamacare! 

You're my first contact this year.  I might as well watch the Obamacare station tonight now that you've broken the magic.  Let's see that's channel 111 on Oceanic.  I've always thought 666 would be more appropriate.   ;D

I like the "having to keep energized to keep running" concept too.  So I just hook a solenoid up to the emergency shut down pin (I have to insert it every time I start it) and Barry's my uncle.  Nice.

push the momentary switch and the pin pushes out.  When the circuit is interrupted  the pin pulls out and the unit shuts down still primed and ready to go next time.

Cheers,

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

puterboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:08:56 AM »
Perhaps there would be an actuator you could use on the site below. Some of the actuators claim 300 pound strength. They are kind of expensive, but if you can't find anything else, maybe something on that site may work for you. I was thinking of using a 300 pound pull actuator to operate my 4 wheeler snow plow. This site seems to be the cheapest I can find for high powered actuators.

http://firgelliauto.com/default.php

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Great prices on your link for linear actuators, puterboy. Their $100 4 inch mini actuator would be perfect for a rack closer. 

I use compressed air for my simultaneously operated rack closer and decompression actuators, since my Listeroid is also my air compressor. They are cheap and very powerful, controlled with 12V solenoid valves by my homebrew Picaxe engine controller.

Murphy makes a nice electric rack closer, though not cheap.  Electric linear actuators are plentiful on ebay, for a diy rack closer and/or valve lifter.  Extending a block under the exhaust tappet lip, ala the manual lifter or SOM would not take much force, and could be solenoid or RC servo driven.  My pnematic lifter does in fact lift the valve, unlike the SOM.  It really only needs to be used for starting or emergency shut downs if the rack closer fails.

Prior to automating my 6/1, I experimented with emergency shut down methods.  One that failed was using a fuel valve solenoid.  The suction of the IP made it leak, the engine would keep struggling along at idle.  The Murphy brand solenoid valve will hold against the IP suction and will work as a shut down, as reported here by someone else.

For an emergency rack closer, I tried and tested using a brass wire to hold the governor spring end, the brass wire held by two screws of a terminal strip. 12V applied through the brass wire would pop the wire like a fuse, and releasing the spring causes the governor to close the throttle.  Works fine but only appropriate for emergency shut downs. A retracting solenoid pin could also release the governor spring with similar effect.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:25:17 PM by BruceM »

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »
These are all excellent suggestions that I will certainly heed.
Thank you,
Jim

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:36 PM »
I rigged mine up to a temp switch that activated a solonoid used on car powered door locks. Worked great I have some photos if youre interested.

richardhula

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »

12 or 24 volt versions available.

bschwartz

• View Profile
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?