Puppeteer

Author Topic: Snowmageddon 2014  (Read 8952 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Snowmageddon 2014
« on: February 08, 2014, 01:37:17 PM »
So how is everyone doing?  We had a power outage here in Ottawa for a few hours, and the old Lister started right up no issues.

This spring I am going to do a full service on her, change the antifreeze, change the oil

Wife is still happy that I bought the engine, and so is my new nieghbour who runs a few extension cords over to keep his fridge working and put a TV on... luckly he has a wood stove so no worries about the cold
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Snowmageddon 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
Last Sat, Drought Watch. This Sat, Flood Watch.   Been 4 days of clouds & rain, about 6" so far.  Just did the oil change on the 6/1  a couple weeks ago, and tightened up, and replaced some mounting bolts on the frame.  Been running couple hours a day for a couple days now, seems OK, and keeps the batteries charged, using the backup gen now, the water tank is close to boiling.

And the rain is not going to break our drought in Northern California.  We need 5 or 6 more storms like this one to refill the reservoirs.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:08:45 PM »
Here in the PNW, it has been uncharacteristically sunny. Listeroid is getting a break from its charging duties, as the solar panels are cooking. We should be getting lots of water from sky, but even up here we are experiencing a lot of dry cold. Yesterday it was -15C. We're a couple of hundred meters from the sea, and it is still very cold.
Change is coming, It has been a dry winter, not much rain and even less snow. Ski hills are S.O.L.
Maybe snow tomorrow though! Prefer rain, I hate to shovel.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »
Lots of rain here too! The Listeroid did a nice 10 hour run yesterday with nary a hiccup. My tank was only luke warm, but the back bedroom was up to 73F with nice toasty warm floors.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:47:17 AM »
Hugh?

What PNW are you from that folks talk in celsius and meters?

Casey

I'd post what our weather is doing but most of you are tired of hearing about paradise.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 05:04:10 AM »
That would be the Northern PNW:...  Here in the southern PNW, we use F and FT:)  Clear and cold here also, but it is starting to snow, which we need in the mountains for water this summer.  Havn't had to place the generator on line since early last year.  She has had to get by on test runs only, and I think she is getting a little bored:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 05:24:22 AM »
Here in the PNW of Oregon near Salem it started snowing last Thursday. We have about a 12 in accumulation. We have been getting freezing rain through the day. If that keeps up it will be Lister time. I have been seeing blue glowing flashes in the night skies from transfomers or trees falling on power lines tonight. Hope the power lasts till morning.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
Lots of rain here too! The Listeroid did a nice 10 hour run yesterday with nary a hiccup. My tank was only luke warm, but the back bedroom was up to 73F with nice toasty warm floors.
Was the heat just secondary to battery charging, or just running the engine to heat the hydronic floors ?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »
The tank is used as a reservoir for the hydronic system and to temper the 195f water from the engine. So it gets a little bit of heat during a run. The nice thing is that with a flip of a switch no heat goes to the house and it just heats up the tank of water.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:12:31 PM »
Oh, I'm in Oz and we go by celcius here.

Oz, eh? I hear the place is on fire again...

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
Hugh?

What PNW are you from that folks talk in celsius and meters?

Casey

I'd post what our weather is doing but most of you are tired of hearing about paradise.

Casey
Hi Casey, Canada is metric (officially anyway) and it is now snowing here too. Turning to freezing rain later today, rain for the rest of the week. My def of paradise includes palm trees :-)
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
there is no snow on my land in northern new mexico

please send any and all precip to New Mexico, what started off as a good winter has turned bad.

unless we get a good amount of late winter precip we are getting setup for another nasty fire season

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
Will you pay shipping ?   

Till we got 7" last week, I was looking at buying household water for the summer, in bulk tanker truck.

there is no snow on my land in northern new mexico

please send any and all precip to New Mexico, what started off as a good winter has turned bad.

unless we get a good amount of late winter precip we are getting setup for another nasty fire season

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Tanker truck on the mainland?

So now I understand why bottled water (no standards or guaranties) sells for more than refined gasoline at the gas station.  I wonder when a gallon of fresh water out of the ground will cost as much as a gallon of crude oil? 

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »
When you do start tapping it out of the ground and want to start spreading it round, try using this.....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry/irrigation-drainage/pumps/auction-697401820.htm