Author Topic: Black Oil Coming Out Of Exhaust Pipe Fittings on Listeroid 10/1  (Read 12542 times)

Listerational

• View Profile
Black Oil Coming Out Of Exhaust Pipe Fittings on Listeroid 10/1
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »
Hello,

I have my Powerline 10/1 exhaust manifold connected to a series of 2" nipples and threaded couplings before making it to the vertical muffler and then to a 10' piece of 2" vertical rigid. Is it normal for black oil to leak out of those fittings?

Thanks,

buickanddeere

• View Profile
Re: Black Oil Coming Out Of Exhaust Pipe Fittings on Listeroid 10/1
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
Running the engine hard to full load and 195F+ coolant temps ?

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:34 PM »
What Buickanddeere said.  That sounds like slobbering which is caused by not properly loading the engine or running it at too cool a temperature.  IF not above about 70% load, the rings do not seat properly and crankcase oil finds it's way into the combustion chamber and ultimately out the exhaust.  This is common on engines run too cool or started and run from new without applying a significant load to break the rings and cylinder in properly.

If it is on a generator, you need to put 5KW of electrical load on the generator, and get the coolant outlet temp up near 200F and run it this way for a few hours and it should clean up.  IF it is running with adequate load and temp, it could be you have a problem with the rings, or it never got completely broke in...   
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:53 AM »
Or there could be to much oil around the valves.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »
Oh yea, or possibly too much oil under the dipper causing too much oil to be splashed up on the cylinder walls. Or perhaps the dipper is striking the oil sideways like a paddle instead of a knife blade.  Forgot about those possible causes.  Seem to recall magicJack saying his would slobber if overfilled with oil untill it burn't the level down to it's happy place...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:29:10 AM »
What Buickanddeere said.  That sounds like slobbering which is caused by not properly loading the engine or running it at too cool a temperature.  IF not above about 70% load, the rings do not seat properly and crankcase oil finds it's way into the combustion chamber and ultimately out the exhaust.  This is common on engines run too cool or started and run from new without applying a significant load to break the rings and cylinder in properly.

If it is on a generator, you need to put 5KW of electrical load on the generator, and get the coolant outlet temp up near 200F and run it this way for a few hours and it should clean up.  IF it is running with adequate load and temp, it could be you have a problem with the rings, or it never got completely broke in...   

I will give it a good workout under a 5kw load. Thanks for the help.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »
Hello,

I've got the 7.5kw generator breaking in under a 3 - hour,  5,000watt load. Currently the small radiator overflow tank is filling up quickly (16 - ounces in about 20-minutes). Is it ok to shut the generator down before the three hours is up in order to drain the radiator overflow tank? Do I have to put the fluid back into the system or can it just wait until the three hours are up?

Thank you,

Jim

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:35:48 PM »
What kind of cooling system ? Any temperature gauge?

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
I too had slobbering through the exhaust fittings before break-in. Remedied by running a few hours at (in my case with 6/1) about 2.5KW load. Did not run with that load for more than a couple of hours at a time, just ran loaded as I had time to be nearby. I have 195 degree 'stat and cooling tank.
Cleared up slobber, no other problems at about 350 hours now.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:17 PM »
Hello,

I've got the 7.5kw generator breaking in under a 3 - hour,  5,000watt load. Currently the small radiator overflow tank is filling up quickly (16 - ounces in about 20-minutes). Is it ok to shut the generator down before the three hours is up in order to drain the radiator overflow tank? Do I have to put the fluid back into the system or can it just wait until the three hours are up?

Thank you,

Jim

Jim, got any pics of your cooling system?  How much fluid does it contain?  16oz sounds like a lot of coolant fluid expansion from ambient temp to 190-200F...  My 6/1 has a 1Qt expansion tank, and the level in the tank dosn't change more than about 1" at any time, but I am only running a little more than 2 gallons of coolant...  If you have a trapped air pocket anywhere, that air pocket expanding could push additional coolant.  A pic or two of your engine and cooling system might give us some idea to help explain the coolant overflow.  What temp are you reaching on the coolant outlet during these loaded runs?

Long loaded high temp runs are best, but it is not necessary to run an entire 3 hours.  You just want to start adding load as soon as the engine gets warmed up(120F+ On the cylinder head) and run it loaded every time you run.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »
Hello,

Thank you,

Jim

Jim, got any pics of your cooling system?  How much fluid does it contain?  16oz sounds like a lot of coolant fluid expansion from ambient temp to 190-200F...  My 6/1 has a 1Qt expansion tank, and the level in the tank dosn't change more than about 1" at any time, but I am only running a little more than 2 gallons of coolant...  If you have a trapped air pocket anywhere, that air pocket expanding could push additional coolant.  A pic or two of your engine and cooling system might give us some idea to help explain the coolant overflow.  What temp are you reaching on the coolant outlet during these loaded runs?

Long loaded high temp runs are best, but it is not necessary to run an entire 3 hours.  You just want to start adding load as soon as the engine gets warmed up(120F+ On the cylinder head) and run it loaded every time you run.

Ronmar, I do not have a thermostat on my generator. I would like to install one though. Is there a good place to install one that you could please recommend?
Thank you,
Jim