Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel filter bleed screws  (Read 6424 times)

Blue

• View Profile
Fuel filter bleed screws
« on: January 03, 2014, 06:11:19 PM »
I've about had it with the two bleed screws on the filter unit on my ST 1. Right now I have copper washers on them but they still leak a bit even after tightening with a vice grip. I have a new Lister gasket set for the whole engine but it seems the required washers 662-10450 are not included in that set !!! I have made some from various materials but they always weep a bit; especially when the tank is full. Anyone know what material they should be made from? I can't believe they would be sold separately..... they are tiny ! >:(
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Fuel filter bleed screws
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
The original seals are rubber o-ring material - tiny indeed. If the screws or threads have been compromised from over-tightening then replacement of the filter unit is the solution. At this point in time, finding OEM replacements for the O-rings is not too hopeful, but the filter assemblies are still in ready supply. You should be able to get some generic O-rings to fit those screws from the likes of McMaster Carr or other industrial suppliers.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:44:10 AM »
O rings I can get. So I guess I will have to bite the bullet and drain the fuel out to see what size and thickness I need. Still got slight weeping on the copper washers either side too even tho' I have put new ones on. Guess I will have to remove the filter and clean up the faces on it and the banjo bolts. I tried to get Dowty washers to fit in there but was unable to get the correct size. Oh well it is only leaking from there very slowly and I have an old plastic bucket that hangs nicely to catch any drips. I wonder why they don't supply the proper O rings for the bleed screws when they do provide the copper washers in the joint sets from Lister. Thanks Gary.
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »
Various OEM Lister contracted manufacturers took different paths regarding the very small (and supposedly minor) pieces like that over the years. There are a few others missing from the original kits that we always seem to have to source elsewhere while always finding leftover a handful of extras including quite a few copper washers that just don't fit anywhere. Go figure!

dieselgman

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:11:58 PM »
Drained the fuel, bought the O rings, replaced the four copper washers (I had used compression washers previously) on the in and out lines and rebuilt and refilled the tank. Waiting for my first drip but it's looking good so far  ;D I know what you mean about the 'extra bits' that come in kits. I have a humungus bag of copper washers of all sizes from previous rebuilds. The best kit I came across was for a Lister ERS8 which contained everything from cork door seal gaskets to copper injector seal rings to rubber explosion door seals. Cost a bomb especially as I was rebuilding two units. That was a hell of a lot of valve grinding.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:12:38 PM »
Blue if you find yourself short of the proper O-ring the Amish around here use the rubber washer from a tin siding nail for that and they seem to work well enough. I have been using the red colored seal washers and they work great as long as the surfaces are no dinged up.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »
Butch! Bubble gum and bailing wire? I guess that if it works then who is to complain! Really, using the correct grade and type of rubber is within our easy reach... we are not all Amish, nor all isolated farmers, and we have global resources at our fingertips these days.  :laugh:

dieselgman

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
The O rings are holding the drips ! (With the tank half full). I cleaned the mating surfaces and got an O ring that was tight an the screw. Screwed it down by hand, refilled the tank, opened the screws to bleed the filter (in & out),and finished with the bleed bolt on the fuel outlet to the pump line which I had also replaced the copper washer with an O ring. I hang a small collection bucket under the filter; so I emptied that after the bleeding, dried everywhere and retired. Great news is the bucket is still dry and no sign of wet on the filter bowl or fuel lines. Another success for the forum. I haven't run it again yet but hope they don't vibrate loose!!! Thanks guys, Blue