Author Topic: Scrapping a HR 2  (Read 4295 times)

Blue

• View Profile
Scrapping a HR 2
« on: December 17, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
Well, I couldn't find a home for the HR 2 attached to a very sad trailer and the guy said it had to go. So I went today with my tools and started taking bits off (it was already in the skip). I got the heads off and saw water had been sitting on top of one piston causing the seized status ! When I got the pipe wrench on the shaft extension and turned one piston moved in the cylinder and the seized one lifted the cylinder with it as expected. I reversed the pipe wrench and brought the cylinder back down hard and sure enough the piston freed up and continued on it's way down. I felt the ridge on the cylinder bore and it really wasn't too bad being as it had been out in the weather for many moons. Anyway it will shortly be on it's way to the scrap yard. The fuel pumps were of Italian make CIPA which I am unfamiliar with and are a bit tight but I have them in a bath of diesel and that will stop it getting any worse. I still have my eye on a HR 3 generator in lovely condition and will keep all the parts I now have as spares. The engine details... No. 2534HR2A23   H.P. 27.5   RPM 2000. A sad day.
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Scrapping a HR 2
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
Scrapping??? What location? That would be a shame to lose those original castings to a smelter!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 02:41:47 AM »
Scrapping??? What location? That would be a shame to lose those original castings to a smelter!

dieselgman
Looks like he is in Barbados.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Barbados sure enough.... hence the small market here. It's only idiots like me that try and keep them alive. I was impressed with the HR tho', much heavier engineering than my ST. Yeah it had wear in the rocker bushings but at least they are replaceable. Looks like they could suffer the same 'fuel in the oil' syndrome as the ST but looked good.
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
Yes, we favor the HR as a fairly bulletproof engine. Simple and effective, widely used throughout the world in all sorts of applications.
Save those castings if you can. No more are being produced. Spare wear parts are still in ready supply.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:56:45 AM »
Didn't manage to save any castings. I only had half a morning and it was in a skip. It also still had on it's original sheet metal cover with a door either side, so removing the heads was a challenge let alone any casings. Anyway I have a few bits, cylinder heads, valve covers, push rods, fuel pumps & injectors plus  a self priming fuel leak off pipe (which I have fitted to my ST 2 with a bit of bending), injector pipes, rocker gear and the fuel filter (complete. Also bound for the ST 2 with a new element fitted). So if I do ever get hold of one I will have a few bits kicking around. Most here are 3 cylinders running the oil pumps at the oil well sites and a lot are running on the gas from the well too. Keeping my fingers crossed one comes up soon.