Author Topic: WVO preheater  (Read 29999 times)

mikedell

• View Profile
WVO preheater
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
Hey all,

Was looking around the net for a decent priced wvo preheater and everything I found IMO was over priced. So I thought Id share a very simple design based on a $80.00 design I found on ebay. It may be crude, but it works very well, and can be built for roughly $30.00 fuel fittings included.

Items needed,

#1 Standard 1 inch T fitting
#2 5-6 inch piece of pipe coming from the T fitting
#3 Your preferred choice of a screw in flange heating element.

I personally went with a 1440 watt 120 volt element for my application, but at my local Ace they had quite a bit of selection.

I have attached some pics just for a quick reference point, to show the basic simplicity of the design. I'm taking ZERO credit for the design itself, the design is a copy of one selling on ebay for $80.00 plus shipping. The total cost of this design done yourself, shouldn't run more than $30.00 total.

I searched around on the forum and didn't see this exact design anywhere so I figured Id share it and hope someone finds some use for it.

I have this design in use on a small diesel engine and it is performing great. If anyone is intrested in details of the rest of my design Id be happy to share it.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:32:53 AM by mikedell »

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: WVO preheater
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:11:22 AM »
1400 watts !   At that value, I'd turn the element 90 degrees and heat the tank.  Otherwise, that much heat is going to boil the oil, as your engine sips it past the element.

mikedell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:15:54 AM »
Yeah after I took the picture of this new one Im building I realized uh oh lol, I picked up the wrong element.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 03:58:35 AM »
It's also a good idea to understand that pipe threads are tapered (USA) and water heater elements are not; hence the black rubber gasket.

I ran into this problem after I brazed a pipe coupling into a propane tank that is the foundation of my hot oil centrifugal filter project.  I now have to remove the NPT coupling and replace it with an EMT coupling.

Using AC to heat WVO seems contra-intuitive as well.  Most of the readings I seen want to start and stop on something like bio-diesel of petrol-diesel with the long haul being carried by WVO or a blend.

But this is all intellectual arm chair propaganda.  I'm always swayed by trustworthy empirical data.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:29:28 AM »
  Looks like an element selected for quick starts but needs to be controlled for continuous duty. As previously stated, is there coolant or exhaust heating planned after the engine reaches operating temperature ?

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:03:19 AM »
Maybe he's heating a 55 gal drum of WVO to dry it?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mikedell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 05:56:11 AM »
Just out of curiosity beings Ace hardware won't take this element back, does anyone know how hot this 1400 watt element would get the wvo up to?

My other one is built from a 200 watt element and gets the oil up to around 140 degrees, but as another user suggested, if I can't return this one, Im wondering about just hooking up a thermostat to this one, problem is that I'm having a issue finding something online that I can adapt to this type of setup that I'm trying to use.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 02:41:37 AM »
  If that 120V, 1400Watt heater was connected to a 12VDC nominal electrical charging/starting system. The heat output would be approx 16.5watt.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 03:43:35 AM »
Just out of curiosity beings Ace hardware won't take this element back, does anyone know how hot this 1400 watt element would get the wvo up to?

This same element or it's sister is used in 25 or so gallon hot water heaters.  That's why there's a thermostat in line with it that regards 140 as damn near scolding.  One of the ceremonies of the 65th year is turning the water heater down to 120 (that's usually all the way down).

The water heater thermostats shouldn't know the difference between WVO and water.

I think most water heaters have a thermal / pressure relief valve as well - mine do for sure.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 05:00:05 AM »
A small brazed flat plate heatex should work well for pre-heat after the engine is up to temp.  That 1400W element would heat the oil really fast:)  Depending on where this is placed in the system and how much fuel the pipe holds, it might work well for a quick preheat of enough fuel for startup/warmup where a coolant based preheater would take over...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
Heating elements for pre-heating crankcase oil are approx 4times larger than coolant heaters of the same wattage.

If a diode was put in series with the 120V 1400watt heater. Output would be dropped to 350watts.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »

If a diode was put in series with the 120V 1400watt heater. Output would be dropped to 350watts.

Interesting.
Please explain how the diode works to reduce the wattage output of the element.
and what is the math relationship to allow us to determin what the modified wattage rating will be?

For example..If I diode a 2000 watt element what is the resulting wattage?

Cheers
Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »
If a 120VAC 2000watt element  has a 20amp or larger diode in series with the supply . Wattage will drop to 500.
Allows a simple High-Low control with 500 or 2000Watts.
    A 240VAC 2000watt heater will produce 500watts on 120V. An even simpler High-Low power heater circuit.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »
I have some 480volt 10kW heaters around the shop that I was wondering about using with 240volt. No diodes required? Any other losses involved?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
 You'll need to check their schematic to make sure they aren't using 480V relays or time delayed relays requiring 480V.  If so, they'll have to be modified. 

Send me the schematic or post it and I'll take a look.