Author Topic: Building engines in India  (Read 10933 times)

fattywagonman

• View Profile
Building engines in India
« on: June 25, 2006, 03:10:05 PM »
Building an engine in india is different from here... companies like Briggs, or Techcumsen make or have their parts made to thier specifications...  remember in india everyone uses the same engine designs... (petter or lister) so parts are available from many differenct suppliers...If you are building engines in india you start  by getting parts from suppliers like this these...
http://www.brtechnocast.com/
http://www.aniljcmspares.com/
http://www.harshadengineering.com/auto.htm
http://www.anandenterprise.com/index.htm
http://www.dieselsparesindia.com/indprod.htm
then you assemble it all like this...

BTW I've noticed that for some reason folks in asia like to work close to the ground...
then when you're done it looks something like this
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 07:23:43 PM by fattywagonman »

ixtow

• View Profile
Re: Building engines in India
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 04:52:24 PM »
BTW I've noticed that for some reason folks in asia like to work close to the ground...

I often work on the ground as well.

1) If I drop something, it builds less inertia.
   a) It often does not damage itself upon impact with the ground.
   b) I don't have to look far to find it.
2) No need to buy/build a table/bench of sufficient strength.
   a) I'm broke.
   b) I'm young enough I can still get away with it.

I can see how many of these points may apply to our friends in India.

If we're rebuilding your Lister/Petter in-place, won't we all be doing the same?  I can't tear apart an Isuzu C223 on the ground.  Perhaps the main reason for it is; because they can.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 06:55:03 PM »
That is about how I am building my engine right now. It is on the frame, on the floor. Only a few inches higher than these guys.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Doug

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 02:40:11 AM »
I feel stabbing burning pain just looking at those poor chaps....

What is quite intersting is the Anand connection with the cylinder liners. I wonder if Mr. Damji Patel is a brother of cousin of Mr. Atual Patel. I also found one more Patel who manufactured castings but I lost the link.
When you think about it wouldn't it be nice to have a family buisness with related interest you could work with?

Doug

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 03:19:59 AM »
to be quite frank the methods of assy so close to the floor, may very well be the reason for poor quality.

think about it, aside from all the dirt and grit being kicked up.

you can't see what you are doing well, while it might be doable it is by far the worst method of assy for anything other than the
most rudimentary component.

quality of rebuild transmissions, engine etc. in this country built like this , on the floor, is sporadic at best, with higher failure rate.

hey India, build some friggin benchs!

or conveyors , roller benchs or whatever.

for god sakes get out of the stone age.

the only reason i would build on the floor was not having anyway to get it up to bench height. 

this looks like shade tree mechanics run amok!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 02:47:46 PM »
Hi Doug,
There's a lot of Patels in india... possibly millions... it's like Jones here or Chin in china...

Hi Bob,
The engines shown in the pics are my engines and the quality is very good.. yes the crankcase is not as clean as I would like but I have yet to find any casting sand in them.. While I agree that benches / lighting / cleaner facilities would improve quality here... For some reason folks in asia like to work on the ground... I don't think they would use a bench... it would be as foriegn as you working in the dirt.. I think it's a cultural thing... When I asked for pictures I noticed that all the men were provided with new shirts for the photo.. this shows they want to make a good impression and are image concious.. my favorite part is that they all wear flip flops... I wear my flip flops 365... yesterday I was torch cutting some steel in them.. no problem as long as you don't get a berry between your toes...   

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »
If you work on the ground, and you need a "third" hand, you've got it.   Just use your foot/feet.  Seen guys do it.

Finest regards,

troy

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 12:46:33 AM »
I'm sure the amount of dirt transferred to the engine from where they lay the tools is substantial.  There's a reason American factories have air tools suspended from above.

Wouldn't it be fun to take those engine assemblymen on a tour of NASCAR row in North Carolina.....
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 03:49:47 AM »
How about the Gulfstream jet factory in Savannah GA! I was just there. It sure is cool. Nearly everything is built by hand, save for a couple of HUGE automated skin riveters. Must be 100 feet long each! Those guys are so skilled. They build the very nicest jets. Funny thing, a factory is a factory. Good management really helps make the product good, skilled employees are put in the proper tasks and hacks are let go. Quality certainly does not happen by itself.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 03:01:04 PM »
1) If I drop something, it builds less inertia.
   a) It often does not damage itself upon impact with the ground.
   b) I don't have to look far to find it.
2) No need to buy/build a table/bench of sufficient strength.
   a) I'm broke.
   b) I'm young enough I can still get away with it.

Me too.

Thanks for the supplier recommendations FWM. That's the kind of info we need to be successful. I think we can get much further along if we find the right supplier. We know the quality is there.

The more I think about it the more it seems like our problem with quality is because the Indains do not prefer to deal with us for cultural reasons, rather than their inability to produce the quality we seek. Eventually one of the stateside dealers will find the right guy and establish the relationship necessary to deliver what we want.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »
There are two ways to build a quality product:  Fear and Pride.

Fear of getting fired and pride in what's accomplished.  Management is in charge of both of them.

I'd LOVE to see the Gulfstream plant!
Has anyone taken a tour of one of the yachet builders?  OR the Toyota plant in Ozark, Alamama?   WOW!!!
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 03:16:41 PM »
"Wouldn't it be fun to take those engine assemblymen on a tour of NASCAR row in North Carolina....."

yes it sure would, or perhaps a tour of the pits at summer nationals NHRA.

there as i am sure the nascar pits are conditions that the Indians could adopt easily.  NHRA pits don't assemble anything on the ground, it is either
built in the chassis, in the trailer on "BENCHES" or outside on yes you guessed it "BENCHES"

nothing elaborate when it comes to a BENCH, just a plain steel "BENCH"

i have a business partner that likes to build on the floor, it takes longer, q/c i non existant, he and the floor are a mess, and he
looks like a monkey doing the nasty to a foot ball.

the first job we worked on together, i told him i wanted a bench to tear down and overhaul a fuller 6 speed.
he ignored my request, until i blew a gskt. he capitulated and stated, wow, that is much easier and cleaner to work at
that height.

i rest my case, get a friggin bench!

anyone in INDIA reading this?  :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

lgsracer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »
There are two ways to build a quality product:  Fear and Pride.

Fear of getting fired and pride in what's accomplished.  Management is in charge of both of them.

I'd LOVE to see the Gulfstream plant!
Has anyone taken a tour of one of the yachet builders?  OR the Toyota plant in Ozark, Alamama?   WOW!!!

Hotater, I tour a boat builder all the time my brother-in-law owns Silverships http://www.silverships.com/ . . This is one his patrol boats:

44 ft Patrol Boat

At 44’ long and only a 10’ 4” beam this vessel had look and feel of a riverine patrol boat. The 40 knot maximum speed is attained by the twin 570 hp, Caterpillar 3196 engines and water jet drives. A large fuel tank provides an operating range of 435 nautical miles. The boat is equipped with a 6.5 KW generator and marine air conditioning for crew comfort. An automatic fire suppression system with engine shut down was installed as well as one M-60 light machine gun on the bow.

While not yatchs he builds several interesting products and is also currently rebuilding all the US Army's BEB (bridge erection boat) 

twombo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 03:55:22 PM »
"as well as one M-60 light machine gun on the bow"

Now, that is a way to get the point across in heavy traffic!!

T

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 04:31:08 PM »
lgsracer---

It's amazing how  information flows. 

I was just doing some research on the 1692 earthquake that sunk Port Royal Jamaica.   On Google Earth you can see the Jamaican Navy docks and a posting gives a link to the composition of the Jamaican Navy.  They have five of the Silver Ships as fast patrol boats!
http://www.jdfmil.org/equipment/ships/ships_home.htm#interceptor

...and this morning I talk to somebody that knows them!!!  What a thing the internet.