Puppeteer

Author Topic: 20 HP GM-90  (Read 6853 times)

38ac

• View Profile
20 HP GM-90
« on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
Mike Montieth (anyone hear of him lately?) imported some oversized GM-90 singles that were advertised as 20 HP at the time. I know he had at least one left over last he was on here. I had forgotten about them until I read a post on a diesel pickup truck forum about them. If anyone knows of one that might be purchased I am intested, new used, broken whatever. Please PM or email.
Thanks,
Butch
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
Re: 20 HP GM-90
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:29:24 AM »
Those are pretty neat engines. I used to have one and it was a pretty good runner. I recently spoke with the person I sold it to and he has no intentions of selling it. I told him if he ever changed his mind to call me. These engines are a true 20 hp diesel engine with a displacement of about 4.4 liters. They are MUCH more engine than these new "18/1" engines and weigh in at around a ton I'm told.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:09:03 AM »
Dose the term gm90 refer to a brand? How is the quality and are they still made?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
Dose the term gm90 refer to a brand? How is the quality and are they still made?

The GM-90 is another Indian modification of the CS. Satajeet sold a bunch of them here, I think that GM-90 is actually  their branding. I have seen a Lovson that is the same type engine I think they call them the LG series. Basically what they did was eliminate some of the height, or depth of the crankcase because it is not needed for a single sump system. They also modified the lubrication system for full pressure oil to the big end bearing. Most of the GM-90s were also rated at elevated RPMS. GM-90 Flywheels, although heavy are smaller diameter than a CS.
Somebody who actually owned one can probably add more details. Quality depends on the day of the week, angle of the sun, How much sand was blowing through the "factory" that day, how much hooch the assembler absorbed the night before,,,,
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:43:16 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
Very good points about quality control. We have seen both ends of the spectrum regardless of supposed branding and source... also quite irregular results even from reasonably reliable people we have dealt with for over a decade.
If there is interest, we will request a few of the big units in our next container shipment.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »
I'd bet you would get a lot of interest. I'd sure love to get one, but I won't have funding for a while. Any chance you could work on getting an estimated price?
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
We will pursue it and see if they can get us the accurate specifications first this time around... price estimates are fairly difficult to pin down prior to completing the import process and landing the container. The initial pricing quotes even if promised door-to-door are rarely accurate and complete, often not even close.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
From my perspective, the GM90 is a fairly good quality Listeroid.
I have had several of both types (GM90 and the standard full sized 6/1).
In my case I needed a smaller engine due to space limitations. The GM90 is approx. 30% smaller and 200# lighter.
Here's what the GM90's look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l562wUof59c

cheers,
veggie

CAVET: As with all products from that origin, the GM90s still need a thorough inspection and "going-over" prior to being put into service.
My engines did need some minor modifications to correct bad assembly practices.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:40:22 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)