Puppeteer

Author Topic: member etiquette and banning?  (Read 14803 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: member etiquette and banning?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:18:37 PM »
Who is that man behind the curtain ??? Black OPS ....here we go !!  There are tiimes when watching a man make a fool of himself can be quite entertaining.
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

guest18

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »
My $.02
Read Code of Conduct for this forum. Clearly, some of the posts in question far exceed the guidelines.

Warning prior to banning. Nearly everyone should get a chance to redeem themselves, and perhaps apologize for rude behavior.

Ban if necessary. This is a generally well mannered forum, much appreciated for the wealth of information and the predominately gentlemanly demeanor of its members. Great loss ensues if this evolved into another flame wars type of forum, I suspect many would leave.

Cujet said "I'm all for strict moderation, with multiple warnings, then the eventual ban. However, I do believe it must be done in a systematic and proper manner, with every chance given to make things right."

I also believe this  to be the correct course of action, though multiple warnings, IMHO, would mean no more than two.

With kind regards,
Hugh

JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 12:41:40 AM »
i think this guy has had enough warnings, and it looks as the the general consensus
is to give him the boot.

lets see if he can control himself and give him one final chance to play nice... failing that
i will pull his ticket.

while i might be entertained by this guys arrogance, i understand that others might not appreciate
my twisted sense of humor.

and yes i miss Guyfawkes!

he provided a lot of mental stimulation, and also was pretty good at providing some sort of evidence to support his claims, even if it was only anecdotal at times.

often times there is much to be learned from strong debate and vigorous argument, however sometimes it gets a bit too heated for some folks...

finding that balance is always the goal.

thanks guys

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

cgwymp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »
* but he sure said "bollocks" a lot.  Don't know what it means, but it sounds bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollocks

"Bollocks" /ˈbɒləks/ is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English and Hiberno-English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless". Similarly, the common phrases "Bollocks to this!" or "That's a load of old bollocks" generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion. Conversely, the word also figures in idiomatic phrases such as "the dog's bollocks", "top bollock(s)", or more simply "the bollocks" (as opposed to just "bollocks"), which will refer to something which is admired, approved of or well-respected.

Listeroid 8/1

injin man

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
Sort of interesting reading this as I seemed to have ruffled someone's feathers on SOMRAD about
using 'steam' and it got a little 'heated'. Banished, no warning- no nothing. I'm sure nothing I could contribute
would be worth reading anyway, right? You can't take yourself too seriously here on the innernet
or you'll get a headache.

I had several surgeries to repair 2 hernias/feet and working on 700 lb engines ground to a halt but I'm
back innovating again. Designing a flash steam- motor oil fired boiler! Got the prints to build a Stanley
type steam engine. Got the Crankcase tacked together for my Lister Clone, going to be a busy winter.
ZeroG and I have a small enterprise together these days and will be moving our shop in a month.

Happy Holidays to all!

injin man

injin man

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »
I'm sure I insulted the intelligence of a prominent member, and Bob gave me the ban hammer.
Steam doesn't have to 'dangerous' these days with the many monotube designs I've come across.
Induction heating adds a new twist to this system also. It's odd that with the world changfaing oops
changing almost at the speed of light we refuse to see said light. Things like Ultracapacitors are going
to revolutionize the energy field, no pun. The one area I saw some possibility was the 'small scale'
Fisher Tropsch  reactors to make your own custom biofuels from stuff like WMO. Staying in your
box only limits your ability to adapt to rapidly changing world. I work near a company that makes some
huge land drilling rigs, their top drives are going to be run with magnet powered direct drives, sound
familiar?

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 03:24:09 AM »
I would have liked to see if his porting efforts would have been reported as the miracle he clearly had his mind made up they would be

Yes, I'm disappointing not to have seen the efforts too. I had no doubt the beneficial effects would be hardly measurable, with a very real possibility of reduction in overall performance.

Sometimes a bit of patience and some quiet but reserved encouragement is all the deluded need to expend hours and hours of their own time and energy doing and documenting goofy stuff for the pure entertainment of critical bystanders like me. Youtube's full of the stuff! "Go ahead, sure you can jump over that car that's driving directly at you at 40MPH" (yeah, right).

It doesn't matter that outrageous claims of success would follow, nor that the laws of physics would need to be re-written. I'm smart enough to see through the BS, and I'm sure you all are too. Subtly sarcastic critique of process and results AFTER the fact can be equally amusing, and before long we've got a new thermodynamic cycle to consider, the "discoverer" is nominated for a Nobel, and the world's energy problems are solved. Hours of amusement I say, all from the comfort of your own desktop.

I propose the next time someone is intent on demonstrating something stupid DESPITE some polite refutation from those who actually do know, just let them. Don't wind them up or unnecessarily antagonise them until AFTER we've got something to kick the tires on. There's nothing to be gained by playing one-upmanship with psychotics who are anonymous to all except the NSA.

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
It's just really annoying having someone  tell you they know more than you do when clearly, they haven't the first clue!   Grin

The breaking point for me, when I stopped trying to help idiots, was when one of them asked for help to solve a pump problem. His newly installed pump took forever to dribble water from his collection tank to the header tank up the hill. His reasoning for the pump selection was based on the pump's nameplate Qmax and Pmax, but no way would he accept that you don't get both performance characteristics concurrently, and nor would he acknowledge the existence  or use of a pump curve. So I just shut up and listened to the rant, occasionally nodding until he then solved the problem by concluding that a bigger pump was necessary. At this point I stopped nodding and asked if that would fix the problem.

"Of course it will. I need a pump with a bigger flowrate" was the inevitable response.

So a couple of weeks later I stopped by to see how he got on, and guess what. He bought a bigger pump alright, nearly twice the Qmax but slightly less Pmax. His ranting was somewhat subdued from the previous visit, and when he asked me what I thought was wrong I simply asked if he thought the pump was big enough and should he have bought an even bigger one. I think he got the message, but he's never asked for my help again. And good riddance. There are plenty of others I enjoy helping because they have an open mind and will take on board the advice and suggestions of someone who does actually know more about some stuff than they do.

So, a big thank you to those of you on the Lister Engine Forum who are willing to share your expertise and experience with those of us who don't know as much as you about Listers, generators, engine balancing, anti-vibration mounting, fuel system trouble shooting, hard starting and all the other stuff that goes with owning, operating and maintaining these things.

BigGreen

• View Profile
    • Mach1Pony
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 03:47:29 PM »
This is the first I saw this...

Would someone please quote the offending message as I'm much too busy to do a search?
Same here, I have been away for some time and hate missing out on entertaining drama. I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

I truly miss Spencer, Guy not so much but he was quite knowledgeable and added valuable input.
Dave
More Power Ashwamegh 25/2 15kw

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
Take your pick. These are dead and buried so for your interest only. I'm not sure if anyone else wants to re-litigate these.....

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6965.0

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=184.0

BigGreen

• View Profile
    • Mach1Pony
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 01:47:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing.
What a potty mouth, I'm glad I missed it all.

Dave
Dave
More Power Ashwamegh 25/2 15kw