Puppeteer

Author Topic: Pant leg  (Read 12678 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Pant leg
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:44:26 AM »
Has anyone here ether had a keyed crank grab their pant leg or heard of someone that did. I may find a piece of hose or something else to push over the exposed shaft on my ST-1 now that I use an electric starter. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Pant leg
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:35:28 AM »
Almost all of them we deal with have a sheet-metal guard in place to avoid contact with that shaft. Problem solved.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:39 AM »
shaft collars
 clamp them on right up against the gib key.  prevents snags, keeps keys from working out. 
     (won't do a thing about a flywheel moving inward and off the key though)

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:13:05 AM »
Some 25 years ago my old TE-20 took my trouser leg and sock. Luckilly i kept my leg...........
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »
Is the moral to this thread not to wear pants when working on a Listeroid?
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Perhaps wear shorts, you wouldn't want something more precious than a pant leg wrapped around the shaft!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:02:32 AM »
So far I've met two people who have been caught by their Listers. One merely got his leg broken. The other was thrashed helplessly around in the generator shed like a rag doll and suffered severe injuries including brain damage.
My CS has covers over the gib keys and the flywheels are painted bright red.
1950 Lister CS 3 1/2 - 1

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 05:26:16 AM »
Shaft guards!!! No loose clothing or jewelry, extreme caution around rotating machinery - safety 101.

Worst that ever happened to me was a finger drawn into a revving cooling fan, that was enough to 'learn' me!   :o

These big old clunkers will obviously do a lot more damage than a broken finger!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
I should do an axle/hub cover for my 6/1 Listeroid, now that I never hand crank.  Even the end of the slotted axle could grab, I think.

I'll have to find a container just the right size.

It only takes a single "senior moment", and I have so many of those...

Aberdonion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 04:21:16 AM »
There was a reason that the UK gov't legislated covers to tractor PTO shafts back in the 1950's. Too many people being killed. The Lister shaft is not that much different, but the old Listers were made when it was presumed that people had common sense - they don't.

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of a shaft cover and how it is connected.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:09:39 PM »
Yes but I was lucky and it let go instead of wrapping me up in a ball.  I know better but my naughty was an unzipped hooded shirt. High on everyone's taboo list when working on or around engines should be loose clothing,  Every CS engine came with Gibb key guards,, well at least back to 1938 which is as early as I have had in the shop and that ought to tell us something? In an age when they guarded nothing, they guarded the Gibb keys. The covers would not be hard to reproduce but  one of the Indian short steps is the flywheel hubs are not machined for them.  After the near miss my working clones had the shaft and key head areas wrapped with several layers of heavy tape.  Looks like chit but I will be alive to take the harassment.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
My own near miss was not with a Lister but a Rolls Royce C8TFL.Same old story,unzipped cardigan.The fan was only guarded by 1 1/2 inch mesh.I can only remember sitting on the floor 12 feet away in a daze wondering where my shirt and cardy had gone!.Luckily nothing broken( except customers rad) but very sore and next day I was black from neck to waist.It gives me the creeps to even think about it now.
Back to Listers,the shaft guard on the smaller LD's etc was an open ended cylinder attached to the timing cover by three lugs,most of the genset ones where similar but where heavier and had a hinged lid over the end of the shaft.These should not be difficult to fabricate from a photo (anyone got one?).The shaft on a 6/1 is more difficult ,I did wonder if something could be made from the free wheeling bit of a PTO guard that could be pushed over the shaft collar once the engine is running.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
Simple DIY hub cover:

I just found  that the slip fitting for 4 '' PVC drain pipe is just slightly larger than the hub on my listeroid 6/1.
I had a leftover piece with a bell end, so I cut it down to 6 3/4 length to extend to the end of the shaft. 

The id of the pvc slip collars or bell end is 4.25" and the hub is 4.178".  Nine wraps of electrical tape on the degreased hub did the trick for a nice snug, drive it home fit.   I'll seal the hub end with a finger wipe of some silicone caulk to keep out oil.

Now as soon as I can pick up a 4" PVC drain cap and paint the cover Listeroid green I'll be all set.  With the cap on it, I should be able to drive it off without too much fuss should an emergency hand start be required.

Swarf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
I would like to contribute to this thread with a photo of my Lister CS 8/1 S.O.M. but could not find a way to attach a photo. (can anyone help?) I clicked on Insert an image but could not do it.
I have an engine house that is restricted in size and you have to squeeze between the wall and the flywheel and that protruding shaft.
So I felt it prudent to fit a guard.
A photo would show it all.  :o

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
go to General Discussion category near bottom of Forum Index, second posting.

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=5796.0