Puppeteer

Author Topic: the dreaded Listeroid squeeeel !!  (Read 8134 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
the dreaded Listeroid squeeeel !!
« on: November 10, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
Looks like after about 250 hours of running time my Metro 6/1 has developed a bearing noise. It sounds like it is in the left bearing. It is very faint and only for a few seconds at a time. I will open her up tomorrow and keep everyone up dated. It has roller bearings so if that is all there is it should be an easy fix.
Doc
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

honda lee

• View Profile
Re: the dreaded Listeroid squeeeel !!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
I thought the roller bearing was a so called improvement over original desine?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:22:28 AM »
Take a good look at camshaft bushings... lubrication is sometimes an issue for these splash systems.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:03:40 AM »
I discovered a squeak/groan the fuel cam/linkage/pump area in mine, and adding nice bio-diesel made it go away.  Still have a spare pump & lifter on hand though.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
My 1946 ex Post Office 6-1 had a squeak , emanating from and in time with the inj pump/oil pump tappet area, holding the oil pump lifter up temporarily silenced it and liberally oiling inside this area, using an extension pipe on an oil can,  through the crank-case door  permanently silenced it.     My suspicions were that it was dry due to being standing idle for decades.

Mark.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 11:31:58 PM »
Try lubing the exposed camshaft bushing. My friends 6/1 was making a squeak. I tried lubing the injection pump without success. However, when I lubed the camshaft bushing, the noise went away nearly instantly.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »
Had already done that to no avail...... still haven`t a clue what it was squeaking, my first thoughts were that it was the crank case breather reed valve.

Mark.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
If your left side is same as what I would call left side try dropping some oil on the cam bushing before you take anything apart. Right next to the exhaust lifter there is a plug that says "OIL" or 710 if upside down.  Not many people fool with it but Lister went to all that bother for a reason, little oil gets there and if the engine has been sitting the cam bearing on that side will be dry.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
Yesterday I pulled the pump and checked the roller, all was well. I guess I will pull the cover and look at least the cam bearing when I get time. The roller was pretty wet with oil so I don't think it that but better safe than sorry. I still think it is the roller main bearing. I did pull the key from the flywheel and that went well with no problems !!!!
My noise is a squeel not a squeak.....it seems about flywheel speed. It will last a few seconds the quiet for 5 or 10 minutes then the squeel for 5
3 to 5 seconds.....
I will keep you guys informed as I find more.
Doc
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
Cujet
You forgot I have the "METRO PRIEUM" (what a joke that is !) so the cam cover/bearing assembly has a nice metal cover over the end of the cam.Without beating it out I will have to pull the cover.....later in the week.
Looks like a new bronze gear will go in. I never tore this engine down so I think I have been lucky. I just gave away my last offset bushing
/bolt too. Some time at the lathe will be in order.
Doc
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:31:55 PM by 32 coupe »
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:25:10 AM »
We both have the same engine purchased around the same time from the same dealer, could even have been built during the same production run. I"ll watch with great interest as you explore the cause.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
After pullng the key and sliding the flywheel back I removed the IP and cam cover to find the cam bearing wet with oil. So put it back together and placed the flywheel just a little further from the bearing housing. After about 45 min. into a rerun session I got a slight squeel again. I shut it down and gave the seal a few drops of oil and on refire ran for 2 hours without a sound. Thanks glort for the suggestion ! If I get time I'll run for a few hours tomorrow and see if that is the cure. If that is it I will pull the flywheel at some point and install a new seal.

I was thinking about a new bronze idler. Man, last time I bought one it was about $75....looks like the are $119 now !!!

Doc
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:14:03 PM by 32 coupe »
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 06:48:11 PM »
I squeal with delight every time my runs the house for me :D  Not the same eh?
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...