Author Topic: Detroit 2-71  (Read 26239 times)

binnie

• View Profile
Re: Detroit 2-71
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 05:19:37 AM »
Hope your neighbours are at a distance.
binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 06:19:07 AM »
awe shucks guys,, wheres your balls

i am still waiting for one of ya, to step up to a 12v149

:)

you aint lived till you see one overfueled on a hydraulic dyno blowin fire 8 feet in the air.

oh yes, i love the smell of diesel in the morning

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 02:20:16 PM »
Hi Bob I had a 12v149T ... it had 4 turbos... what a noisy bastard...

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 03:32:06 PM »
yes but such sweet noise...  ;D

bob g

Julian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 08:43:51 PM »

you aint lived till you see one overfueled on a hydraulic dyno blowin fire 8 feet in the air.

bob g

Sorry to butt in with a first post in the middle of a thread, hello to all, but I've been lurking here for a while and own a genuine 6-1. I just remembered how we do trains in England. This is a V12 Paxman Valenta pulling away from a station, I'm sure it'll raise a smile or two.

Julian

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 07:11:15 AM »
our EPA would have a field day with that one,,,
funniest picture i have seen for a long time.
love it

bob g

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 02:53:12 PM »
The 2-71 units seen here are in Pocotello, Idaho and are coming from Union Pacific reefer cars.  Those were the first 'slow speed' gensets I investigated.   I used to sell material to the UP rebuild shop and know several guys over there.  They tell me to 'forget about it'.  These units were installed at the factory, plumbed to run off BIG fuel tanks, cranked and forgotten until they started to break down.      Most are being replaced by Yanmars.

A 'neighbor' has one of the 2-71s he got from a train wreck several years ago....he kept putting me off when I ask to hear it run.  When he finally torched it off  *I* nearly ran.  NO way to have one in a residential neighborhood that I can see!

Bye the way--- I run a Listeroid about 16 hours a day as a sole source of power.  You can expect to pay about $.35/Kw hour if you run red diesel .....and work on the engine will take up *some* time.
   Grid power is a BARGAIN!!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 07:37:03 AM »
I looked at those 1200 RPM, 2-71 Delco plants on ebay with interest a while back but besides being advised about the noise I am put way off by the poor fuel efficiency of them.  It works out to almost exactly double the consumption per kW hour than a vanilla 4 stroke diesel power plant at 1800 RPM.  My dream is a one cylinder diesel that will run off the smell of an oily rag.  The 2-71 Detroit ain't that engine, but it can be the source of the oily rag.  ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 04:00:17 AM »
why don't you consider a petteroid like this...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3798179569961011191

Doug

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 04:11:30 AM »
Is that an off the shelf Petter, I mean a standard TRB type, general purpose fly wheel B! governer?
How many RPM in this clip?
What is the bore and stroke of this engine and what is the assumed output at what you think is its best speed?

Doug

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 02:37:23 AM »
Hi Doug,
It is TRB and piston oil pump... 87.5 bore and 110 stroke.. I think 4 HP @ 1200 RPM is a reasonable expectation..  To make the governor work well @ the lower RPM I remove one of the springs... So far this seems to work really well... Seems to follow the load better... I also modify the piston for improved combustion... regrind the cam for longer injection duration... and use the smaller injector.. and increase the injection pressure slightly... 

MagnoliaJack

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 07:06:24 AM »
Ill trade a new listeroid to anyone who has a detroit 1-71 or 2-71.  I love noise!

I have an extra 2-71 genset that I would be willing to trade for a new 12/2 as long as it has iron pistons.  I'm in Houston, I'll unload the Listeroid, YOU load the deuce!  LOL.  By the way, the 2-71 has two speed settings, 800 and 1200 rpm.  This may make an improvement in your noise concern.

Actually, you really can't lose on the deal.  If you are not satisfied with the noise or performance of a DD 2-71, you can scrap the 300 pounds of copper wiring in the Delco generator head for $4/pound.  Keep the engine as a doorstop.

-Jack

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 07:40:09 AM »
I looked into the 2-71 for quite awhile.  Some units have a 12.5kW head and others are 20kW.  Oddly there is a persistent rumor that the 12.5 is simply a rebrand of the 20, but this is not true.  I checked with the company that made them originally; it's still in business, but they do reconditioning now http://www.emerson2-71gm.com/ .  The place with the largest selection of these gensets is Golden Valley something or other in Idaho.  They recently started selling on Ebay, though under a different name.  There's a couple of people who sell them as biodiesel or WVO engines.  The owner told me that some folks buy concrete septic tanks to house the gennys.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 07:44:10 AM »
Ill  you can scrap the 300 pounds of copper wiring in the Delco generator head for $4/pound. .

-Jack

I called the scrap dealer last Friday for a quote on copper.  He's only paying $2.00'lb.  He said that $3.50/lb price was for traders of new Cu on wall street.  I thinks I'm talking to the wrong dealer.

Jack, I'm looking for a delco generating alternator off a 2-71.  Want to sell me yours?  Actually I'm looking for any 6 pole (1200 RPM) ST type 2 bearing head rated at 20-30 kW for my wind turbine project.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »
If the scrap dealer is only paying 2 dollars CDN for scrap copper he's a crook you should be able to get 50-80 cents more for #1.

Doug

BTW BHB-P would apear to be heading for a strike at the worlds largest copper mine in Chile. I would hang on to any scrap and watch how ths plays....