Puppeteer

Author Topic: Gen Shed, Engine Mounting Advise Please  (Read 4880 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Gen Shed, Engine Mounting Advise Please
« on: June 23, 2006, 03:54:13 PM »
Main question: Does anyone think it will shake loose or shake the shed apart mounted on the planks. I can pull some boards and put it on beams or concrete in the dirt but would rather not.

Those planks are 3x14s sitting on 4x4s with a slight slope to the right.
The engine shimmies but is not a hopper.
I cut down some old truck tires and will use the tread in 6 places under the frame.
I plan to use 4, 3/8x6” wood screws on each side of the frame to secure it to the planks.
That’s my garage to the left, not the house.

I’m guessing most of you will say to mount it in the ground. Lets see.

Thanks, Geno

solarguy

• View Profile
Re: Gen Shed, Engine Mounting Advise Please
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 04:20:36 PM »
I would not trust wood screws to stand up to the vibration in the long term. They will get loose and then something bad will happen.

I want bolts to something.  I would prefer that something to be 4,000 pounds of cement, but I'm not the boss of you.

Keep us posted  how you make out.

troy

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »
From experience---

I mounted a 3.5HP Mini-Petter pump to a 40' bridge made of 120pound RR rail on 12" centers set in concrete and the entire structure supported by 16" I beams on piers with two crossed 16" I beams underneath and two layers of timbers on top.  Readymix concrete trucks used it to build this facility.

In an HOUR (!!) there were six inch long lag bolts holding the 3x14" runners to the 3x14" bridge planks that were bolted to the railroad rails....coming OUT of the bridge.  To stand on the bridge would blur vision and vibrate so bad the girls would grin and just stand around a while.....dirt fell in the creek and rocks would dance a jig.....It sounded like a stampede across a gymnasium floor.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/529368861/2208471550028237237GeHnaj

Try it!  Those boards will be a great sound intensifier, too.   :o :o

I would use a powered post hole digger (and some help) to set four or maybe six, 8 inch cardboard pier forms, two feet deep and pour them full of concrete with three sticks of 3/8" rebar and a LONG 1/2" mounting bolt in each one.   A sheet metal pan under the engine is a good idea, too.   Oil soaked wood doesn't last long under stress but sure burns well.

There WILL be oil....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:50:18 PM by hotater »
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »
Hey come on Hotater!

Indian engines don't LEAK oil, they perspire.  Don't you know that's part of the semi automatic oil replenishment system!

LOL

ps, there will be oil on the ground.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:37:26 PM by solarguy »

kyradawg

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:07:51 PM »
Hey come on Hotater!

Indian engines don't LEAK oil, they perspire. Don't you know that's part of the semi automatic oil replenishment system!

LOL

ps, there will be oil on the ground.

All the more reason to use this stuff http://www.renewablelube.com/

Peace&Love, Darren

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:17:35 PM »
As I was writing the post I was remembering other things I’ve read. Didn’t think about the dander of oil soaked wood though.

Mounting to the planks is a bad idea.

I’ll either pour concrete or make a substantial, pressure treated wood frame, which is buried in the ground, and the frame is bolted through.

Thanks, Geno

Later addition: It will be a lot of concrete for sure!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:45:50 PM by Geno »

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »
...I’ll either pour concrete...

That's the way to do it - as Lister intended.  Anything else is a compromise. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 03:00:11 AM »
I think the structural issue is the supporting 4x4s over dirt and their spacing, given that your Listeroid is not a hopper. The 4x4s will get pounded into the dirt until the floor boards start bridging and springing.

I'd be tempted to try filing the space below with the high density (burial type) Tiger Foam, and maybe it would work. ??? Tiger foam isn't cheap, but it would be easier than tearing up the floor and pouring concrete.  If the soil below isn't pretty hard and dry, all bets off.

Concrete is the safer route by far.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 03:02:18 AM by BruceM »

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 02:57:45 AM »
Try:
http://www.internalfire.com/albums/album36/pump1.sized.jpg
This is from the Internal Fire Museum. I wish I had built my engine foundation like this. Also an oil drip tray is a good idea, or shape the concrete to collect oil and direct it to a container.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's