Author Topic: Dublin NH old engine show  (Read 7150 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Dublin NH old engine show
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:53:47 AM »
They claim its the biggest old engine show in the northeast and nary one lister not even a roid,guess their rare iron up here.Did see a small witte verticle genny unit.Real shame WW2 scrap drives took out a lot of good old iron. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Dublin NH old engine show
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:41:26 AM »
I was at Coolspring Pennsylvania for the oil engine feature show in June and there was ONE Lister CS style engine, a Metro. I rarely see a Lister diesel at a show, especially a CS. When I got the 16 up on wheels I took it to several shows that summer-got a lot of attention.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
Glort,they used a lot of oilfield engines in the hills of pennsylvania and liked them loud so they could tell they were still running out in the woods.They had what was called rod houses with long steel rods extending out to pump oil from the many small wells.Prehaps all the listers are bolted down working instead of doing the show circuit.I agree about having engines gainfully employed at shows,my favorite was a one banger hooked to an antique rope twisting machine or shingle mill. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »
May favorite one was a JD hit-miiss connected to an ice cream freezer  ;D
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:33 AM »
Glort,they used a lot of oilfield engines in the hills of pennsylvania and liked them loud so they could tell they were still running out in the woods.They had what was called rod houses with long steel rods extending out to pump oil from the many small wells.Prehaps all the listers are bolted down working instead of doing the show circuit.I agree about having engines gainfully employed at shows,my favorite was a one banger hooked to an antique rope twisting machine or shingle mill. Frank C.

Frank,   

Were these  rods arranged radially on an eccentric rotating hub ? And did the exhausts have what they called  a barker fitted  to give each engine a distinctive signature exhaust note ?     Just reminded me of something I`ve seen somewhere.
 Where I lived in the 1960s, on every still morning and evening around 5.00 till 6.30 I could hear from a farm a mile and a half away the drone of an unsilenced vacuum pump and the steady pop- pop -pop of what must have been an unsilenced low speed single cyl engine driving it at milking times.
The dailly single phase power at my workshop is presently provided by a 1946 CS driving a modern alternator, the CS only recently replaced a 1933 CD, these old girls are far more pleasant to hear running than the modern (1950s on) 1500 rpm engines.

Mark.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »
Mark I don't know how the rods were set up,a friend of mine in the service came from their and just said rods were used to pump the wells.Mayby someone on this forum is from the oilfields and can explain it to us. Frank C.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:01:08 AM »
Mark I don't know how the rods were set up,a friend of mine in the service came from their and just said rods were used to pump the wells.Mayby someone on this forum is from the oilfields and can explain it to us. Frank C.

Frank,

If you imagine 6 or so rods radiating from a crank  much like a radial engine laid on its nose, then instead of pistons it has connecting rods up to 1/2 a mile long, these rods which are hung from trees  and support brackets then terminate at the wellheads and are attached to a bellcrank which turns the rods horizontal reciprocating motion into a vertical reciprocating motion which gives the pumping action.

Of course the whole caboodle rotates very slowly,  its crazy I can remember all the details but not where I saw them :-[.

Mark.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
Glort,pretty remote area and to thems that hears it $$$$$. Frank C.

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
I was at the Portland Indiana Tri-state gas engine show this year and didn't see any listers. I know they they call it the"gas engine show" but there is Oil Field Engines from 100 hp down, gas and diesels. I didnt' see one lister engine but a few small diesels, mostly GM and Fairbanks Morse.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:00:10 PM »
We have rows of listers  of every persuasion at engine shows here,  now if there could  be a few of Uncle Sams big old oilfield engines that would be something else.
What in the future will we call the shale gas exploration powerpacks in preservation?  Fracking engines? ;D

Mark.