Author Topic: Shipping from Ireland  (Read 5380 times)

MNbobcat

• View Profile
Shipping from Ireland
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:14 AM »
I'm heading to Ireland in a couple of weeks.  While I'm there I want to find an original Lister and take it to a shipper and have it shipped here to the U.S.

I'm wondering if you can give me some advice on what I would need for paperwork to get it into the U.S. and if you have any tips or suggestions of what to watch out for?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Shipping from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:42:23 AM »
Make arrangements with broker ahead of time. Be certain to file the ISF security filing ($5,000 fines are now enforced).  >:(
File an EPA exemption form for the engine just in case you get a zealous agent at the port.
The rest will amount to a bunch of port and customs formalities that your broker should handle with ease. Expect to pay a lot of asundry small charges and fees.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

MNbobcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »
What can a broker do that I can't do myself?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:53 AM »
If you are not at the port, the broker can make tricky and time sensitive things happen for you... highly recommended. If you have the time to spend at the port and are ambitious and patient then you can accomplish almost everything yourself. You may be blocked from entry to the port itself due to homeland security regulations, and you may be thrown any number of curve balls and costly time delays. The customs and border protection bureaucrats can be a real pain to deal with sometimes, and there are often paperwork and procedural issues to resolve that a well-connected broker can simplify for you.

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »
You will need a surety bond, and you will need a lot of exacting paperwork accurately and timely put in the right places and hands. You will need fees paid to several agencies and everything will have to managed like clockwork or you will face added costs for any delays. The broker will possibly save you time and money, not to mention a lot of frustration.

dieselgman

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
Hi
Contact this guy. He is in Cork Ireland and is an old Lister guy & Changfas     marksmbx(AT)yahoo.com

He may have a lister or two to sell.
He has a lot of lister parts bought from India.
He has shipping experience  and can advise about shipping from Ireland.

Engines coming into the US can be shipped as parts or used engines or display as antiques.

Call DHL before you leave for advise about rates etc. they can advise about customes..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:40:15 PM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

OneBarfly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »
Also, if shipping with any wood packaging, it must in compliance with wood packaging material (WPM) regulations.  Failure to comply will result in penalties and refusal of entry

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/720/~/import-and-export-requirements-for-wood-packaging-material-(wpm)-into-the-u.s.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:26:48 PM »
I have been looking into shipping an engine or two from Europe myself. Had much success with a local freight agent (Global Cargo Services) in shipping a fridge from Germany last year, so contacted him for info re engine shipping. When we did the fridge, we used the shipping agent as well as a broker to handle the import paperwork. We were surprised at how little it cost. As I recall, the import broker charged only about $75.00
Recent shipping quote for 2 engines on approved pallets was about $900.00, plus pallet cost. This is from a European location to a Vancouver freight depot here in Canada.
As they say, your mileage may vary, but this worked for me, and I will try it again.
Cheers,
Hugh
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:04:02 PM by Hugh Conway »
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project