Author Topic: Removing S195 flywheel  (Read 9817 times)

scumbum

• View Profile
Removing S195 flywheel
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:56:56 AM »
Hi folks, any tips on removing the flywheel off of a S195? I tried the tool that came with the engine (flywheel nut tool) as a puller and its not budging. The bolts are ready to twist off and the tool is flexing as Im tightning down.. gave it multiple whacks in the center of the tool with a sledgehammer while under tension with no luck. ??? Thanks for any tips.  :)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: Removing S195 flywheel
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »
On a 195, here's how you do it...

Place the hooks of a 3-jaw puller in the 3 holes of the flywheel.
There is a dimple in the end of the shaft to accept the screw of the puller.
When you have some tension on the puller, bang the outer face of the flywheel with a rubber mallet (not the outer parameter but front outer face).

Mine pops off every time with this technique.

HINT: The flywheel weighs 80 lbs so have a rolled up towel or some padding below it to protect the gears when it pops off and hits the floor.  ;)

cheers,
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

scumbum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Thanks veggie for that tip.. I tried it with a large 3 jaw puller and cranked down hard on it, smacked it with a big hammer against a 2x4 around the flywheel face. I did not budge at all, so I rigged up this puller with chains and a bottle jack, soaked it with penetrating oil for a day and tried it again...extended the jack as tight as I dared and whacked it from both sides. The chains were tight as hell but still no movement at all.  ???

I ended up messing up the dustcover thing for the built in alternator behind the flywheel from the chains pressing against it, so I admit defeat and will just straighten out the dustcover best I can and run the motor.. it has never ran before. I wanted to remove the flywheel so that it will be easier to carry the engine up a flight of stairs. I have another plan on how to get it up the stairs that involves a small 12v winch and to drag it up the stairs like on some sort of sled.  :-[

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
Don't give until you at least break a chain. Try placing a couple big steel bolts on the inside of the fly wheel near the dust cover. Think of a T. insert the chain through the flywheel hole, over the bolt or around the bolt and then back out the hole. I have had very good luck on stubborn object with the bottle jack and chain method, no failures yet, you shall succeed.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
We have made pullers for most of the Lister flywheels... heavy steel flat plates with holes for bolting to face of flywheel and a welded on nut in the center for a jack-bolt to push against crankshaft. After that, just pressure and vibration usually does the trick. Use of case-hardened fasteners helps make the tools last a bit longer. You can apply a lot of force where it is needed with this method.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
I'd buffer the chain/flywheel interface with a scrap of wood, so it does not become a material strength contest between chain and flywheel.

I'd thread a bit of clothesline along the chain to restrain it a bit, if it does let go.

Millwright

• Knuckle Dragger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:15 AM »
Try a little heat around the taper area of the flywheel.

Just a soft wash with a propane torch.

You would be surprised how much that will help sometimes.

I have the best luck pulling stuff with a good smack on the center bolt of the puller with a 5lb beater

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:00:15 AM by Millwright »

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:49:20 AM »
Hi, I have 20 ton 3 finger puller that will do it, if you pay for shipping I will let you use it. Please return in timely manner. Tony.