Author Topic: pulley for output shaft of lister ac1  (Read 5203 times)

moesoo

• View Profile
pulley for output shaft of lister ac1
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
i have an ac1.  need a small v-belt pulley to mount on output shaft to turn a generator or alternator. orrr-i understand there may be some type of adaptor available that would mount right on the shaft and then directly to generator or alternator. i live in u.s.a. any ideas guys???? thanks much. :o

millman56

• View Profile
Re: pulley for output shaft of lister ac1
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »
I think you mean a shaft coupling of which there are many types suitable for directly connecting an engine to a generator, the best and most expensive is probably a tyre type, a sub type of  these is where one part bolts directly to the flywheel and the centre of it has a taper lock type fitting which grips the generator shaft, these couplings allow closer positioning of the driving and driven parts and will cope with quite a bit of misalignment  but  with any job like this its always best to get it as close to true as possible.

Mark.

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:07 AM »
thank you for the brief education mark.  where would one be able to purchase these types of things in the u.s. however, does anyone know offhand the diameter of the output shaft of my old lister ac1, and where to find a pulley to fit?  thanks very much for your help! :D

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
The AC1 can have output shafts on the flywheel end of the crank or on the gearcase side, either crank or camshaft mounted,  these are detachable stub shafts and can be a variety of diameters/configurations.   
Not sure about US suppliers but Graingers sounds familiar and if my memory is correct a firm called Baldor Dodge makes couplings and taperlock  pulleys,   unsure if our Fenners Ltd have a presence in the US.

Mark.

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:30:50 PM »
hi mark:  you are a treasure trove of information.  i will look into the references you gave me. one of my ac1's i purchased my ac1 from a military auction years ago, the other i have in a remote place in the desert. never thought to look to see if shaft diameter off the gear end is same diameter.  seems to be some sort of gear reduction device by the output shaft, however i am not an expert.  thanks for the info.  i do not have a manual for the ac1, so don't know a lot other than to know they run real sweet.  jer  :)

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »
Mostly useless info  :embarassed:,  the hand start AC1s commonly use the camshaft to start and is normally fitted with a cast iron outrigger support and a helical dog  to engage with the crank handle, alternatively a speed increasing gear is fitted to the flywheel end for starting.
These engines were groundbreaking in their time, they are compact and very durable but I find they make an irritating metallic racket at usable speeds and are not too economical to run at 3000 Rpm, that being said they seem to be enjoying a bit of a renaissance over here,  possibly due to folks bad experiences with short life oriental hardware.

Mark.

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:17:05 AM »
thanks mark for the info again.  yes i have not heard any good things yet about those other diesels.  i can agree with you also about ac1 over 3000rpm lack of economy at times.  i use ear coverings when i have to get close to those listers  when they are running. jer

moesoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
got a pulley here in us.  thanks moese