Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cold Starting Aids/Enhancers/Adjuvants  (Read 27068 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Cold Starting Aids/Enhancers/Adjuvants
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
From your local CAV dealer....

Help me, I'm in kalifornia, and here CAV = Clean Air Vehicle.  My mind has been leftistised .

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
CAV = Villiers, fuel injection manufacturer.  ;)

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
Try tractor spares depts.,fitted to Massey Ferguson,IHC etc.Also most perkins engines on plant  and generators.Please be aware that they come in various thread sizes and flow rates,I think the one best suited to your needs are the type that were fed from a small resovoir kept topped op by fuel return/injector dribble.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »
RUG has a higher ignition temp than diesel but RUG with vapourize into combustible fumes where diesel oil is just a liquid. Tough to beat a glow plug in the combustion chamber or even an intake manifold heater if whole engine pre-heat is not practical. 

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »
  For winter starting I would worry less about ring seating and run 5W-30  Mobile 1 or Amsoil  anyways.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
  Really doesn't matter how cold it is. If there is a powerful enough cranking system that can obtain high enough rpms under compression. The engine will start.
i

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
    Never liked using ether as a starting assist although some people are believers. Then again they are the type where the  home ,shop, vehicles and equipment look rough and shortcuted. I've had some people tell me "why plug in the block heater if she will start with a snort of ether ???
   That ether knocking sound is high pressure shock waves pounding engine internals with pressure 2-3 times above peak pressure seen under normal full power. Then the ether user has to find an excuse for blown head gaskets, cracked pistons, broken rings, scored cylinder walls, bent rods and flattened rod bearings

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 12:15:07 AM »
Then the ether user has to find an excuse for blown head gaskets, cracked pistons, broken rings, scored cylinder walls, bent rods and flattened rod bearings

I have never used ether but I have heard the knocking sound a few times using petrol.
I have used it literally hundreds of times and never had any of the problems you mention.  I suppose the old internet parroted mantra thing comes into play yet again.
The difference between it actually happening in real life and the parroted mantra that it happens to every single person that uses it.

What I find is the gloom and doom warnings and theory always outnumbers the first hand accounts by about 5000%
NOT saying it can't, does not or won't happen, Just saying a lot of these times the actual accounts and verifiable examples of these things is completely disproportional to any first hand examples.

My Father-in-law's shop rebuilds engines for a living at a well known Ontario company. They give thanks each year for the blessed miracle of ether and how it sustains their paycheques.   

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 12:27:52 AM »
"IF I think of equipment in the antarctic that is always in good condition and the problems they can have, I spose powerful enough cranking becomes  the key issue.
If you had another motor to turn the one over you are trying to start then it may be ok."

Reminds me of my time in Manitoba.  I was stationed at CFB Shilo (home of the 3rd Royal Canadian Horse Artillery), and in the winter it was not uncommon to see below -40C.  The poor gunners would keep a couple of 5 ton trucks inside the gun hanger at night, and in the morning they would start the warm(ish) trucks up, take them outside to the frozen trucks parked in the compound, hook up the chains and drag the cold trucks up and down the road until the engines got warm enough to turn over.  Then all the running trucks would go back to the gun park, hook on to more trucks, up and down the road until the whole battery was a haze of barely burning diesel smoke.  Then they would start on the tracked vehicles.  Smudge pots under the blocks, slave cables to the batteries and crank.  The poor bast@rds did this dressed in parkas, mukluks, arctic mittens and every sort of battery operated heating piece of clothing imaginable, until every last vehicle was running under its own power.  Liters of oil tucked in the coats to keep them warm, fingers frozen from draining water from fuel filters, frostbitten noses and cheeks.  They would finally get them all running, fuel them up, do their first parade (daily vehicle inspection) then -yup, you guessed it- shut them all down, and park a couple of trucks back in the hanger and go home.  Ah the good old days  ;D
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 02:16:20 AM »

Nobody seems to want to bring it up !
Here goes....

What about Ether engine starting spray?

Now before everyone starts throwing connecting rods at me,... there are many arctic duty (very large) engines which are equipped with Ether spray systems for cold weather starting.
If used properly, it can give quite reliable ignition.
Used improperly it can send a connecting rod through the side of the engine block.

now ducking and running for cover  ;D

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
For what it is worth... caution is advised! From personal experience, sometimes via my own folly, but also learning from the mistakes of others! I can tell you that it is quite easy to do serious damage with starting ether. This is NOT repeating rumors, and this is known and proven fact. I have dealt with many engine repairs over the years (including some Lister diesel engines) where the rings were destroyed and at least one case I recall where the connecting rod was actually heavily bent by the forces created when ether pre-ignites in one of these engines. It is like taking a heavy sledge-hammer to your engine. We forbid the use of starting ether on all of our bush equipment spread across Alaska! This is not to say that some of the bigger machinery cannot be safely started in this way... Caterpillar and some of the OTR semi-trucks in the arctic have hard-wired starting aids that include an ether canister. Outside in 50 below zero weather, that may be the only practical way to get an engine fired up, but I can guarantee you that engine life expectancy takes a big hit as a result!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 12:39:40 PM »
           Use that devils breath as a last resort, and only introduce it to the intake once the motor is turning over freely. Apply just enough to get the motor firing enough to start gaining revs.   Do Not spray it into aircleaners or manifolds while stationary. You may as well  put a grenade in there.  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.