Puppeteer

Author Topic: Cold Starting Aids/Enhancers/Adjuvants  (Read 27151 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Starting Aids/Enhancers/Adjuvants
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »
“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

Is this like a guy that brings his sister in law into the house as a companion to his daughter and ends up having three children by her and refusing to acknowledge them as his?

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
I think that would be a concubine.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

scrapman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 04:34:17 AM »
Hello all
Ether and all other similar starting aids have down sides and over 45 year working life i have found hot air the best with least side effects ,mostly broken rings and stretched head bolts.
2 events of note first ,apprentice at training school reassembled 6 hp air cooled diesel and after a lot of cranking and no go half a can of aero start and launched cylinder head throw asbestos roof  teacher not happy, seconded ,engineer giving advice on starting decided to take over 420 ford backhoe at - 6 degrees centigrade removed air intake soaked cotton waste in petrol (gas) throttle wide open  and ht starter, pricedale result engine started went to full revs sucked cotton waste in engine jammed valves open which got beat up by pistones till it stopped, not very long, repairing saved block and crank oil pump replaced the rest with new parts .
Peter

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »
Heat sure sounds more civilized but I want it to start now!

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

scrapman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 07:25:34 AM »
LowGear
Starting engines now is ok, but some will take large amounts of either / fluid  with no apparent damage and others eg nissions 3 liter 6 cylinders 1 good heavy blast of areo start would stretch the head bolts 10 minutes running would blow head gasket for certain.
Use in moderation and in some known engines not at all ,3-5 liter mazda diesel small trucks had a electric heater block bolted in intake 30 seconds and start no problems with good battery in 12 volt or 24 volt versions.
Peter

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
I like the idea of a concubine to improve cold weather starting.  ;)

When rats chewed off the wires to my '85 MB 300D block heater one cold winter morning, I used a hair dryer in the intake, and it did the job in about 30 seconds.  It worked fine on my 120VDC so I didn't have to start the Listeroid for AC power.  I suspect there may be 12V "RV"hairdryers that would make a dandy off the shelf intake heater, if you're not keen on a propane torch.

scrapman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »
BruceM
Over the years i've used oxy /acetylene and oxy/propane torches ,burning rolled up newspaper, small 2kw electric fan heaters  (office ladies foot wamer ) jam tins 1/2 full of sand soaked in petrol and diesel ,methylated spirits with flame headed up to intake and under sumps to heat oil to get machinery running .
Concubines as a starting aid on cold morning i don't think would have worked very well for machinery ,starting me is another matter.
Peter

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 02:49:01 AM »
Dream on lads!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »
These work well. Flame heater fits in the inlet manifold fed with diesel from a pump or pressurized container. Creates a nice flame in the inlet manifold when the engine is turning over. available in 12 or 24 volt

mick
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:32:41 PM by listeroil »

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »
Gasoline has a higher ignition temperature than #2 diesel.
The reason why gasoline often lights and burns easier than diesel is the amount of combustionable vapours diesel doesn't have.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 01:44:47 AM »
The old WD-40 used to be a good starting aid but they messed it up and its now nonflamible.I use one of those cheap radiant propane heaters you mount on a 20 pounder.Aim it at  the head for a few minutes and off she goes. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »
Gasoline has a higher ignition temperature than #2 diesel.
The reason why gasoline often lights and burns easier than diesel is the amount of combustionable vapours diesel doesn't have.

Yes it seems to go against the notion that RUG due to higher volativity, helps with cold starting of a diesel engine.   Auto ignition temps,  diesel 410 F,   RUG 475- 536 F,  (wikipedia)  all it does is thin whatever fuel is being used and promote better atomisation of more viscous fuels but with the downside of raising the ignition temp proportionally.

Mark.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »
Well,   it needs a bit more research but purely from the empiricallly proven  auto ignition temp standpoint  it would seem that adding  RUG to a diesels fuel oil would make for more difficult starting and that its lowering of the viscosity of the fuel oil would be the main factor in helping cold starts.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               The high compresion ratio is employed in a diesel is to provide the heat to ignite the fuel,  petrol engines don`t need this as they have a high temperature spark to ignite the charge and without water injection or higher octane rated fuel, suffer serious detonation problems at higher compression ratios.                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Never used RUG blend and have only ever used 1 pint of veg oil in a diesel engine so I confess to being a theorist with regards to veg oil,  on the other hand I have a little bit of practical experience of using just about any type of mineral oil in quite a number of diesel engines from 25 cu inches to 1000 cu inches capacity and have come to the conclusion that above a certain viscosity,  around that of ATF,  it becomes difficult to start most diesels due to poor atomisation, this is borne out by the professionally designed vehicle veg oil systems having the facility to start on diesel then when the system is heated sufficiently  switch over to veg oil.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   The better starters on the more viscous mineral based oils seem to be smaller DI engines with glow plugs fitted or  250 cu inch or larger DI engines without,  IDI engines with glow plugs start OK, older IDI engines  without  glow plugs  don`t seem to.

Mark.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 04:36:11 AM »
Where do you get these heaters ?

These work well. Flame heater fits in the inlet manifold fed with diesel from a pump or pressurized container. Creates a nice flame in the inlet manifold when the engine is turning over. available in 12 or 24 volt

mick

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 10:11:05 AM »
From your local CAV dealer....
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L