Puppeteer

Author Topic: window shopping opportunity.....  (Read 7711 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: window shopping opportunity.....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:17:14 PM »
What a beauty!
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
It certainly has alot of unique features on it.

Clearly Listers had an electric start design for the CS way back in 1953, I would be slightly concerned however with having the starter ring gear teeth machined directly into the cast iron flywheel.

One thing I am puzzled by, is that there is no vee belt grooves machined into the flywheel, so how is the alternator driven?

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »
It certainly has alot of unique features on it.

Clearly Listers had an electric start design for the CS way back in 1953, I would be slightly concerned however with having the starter ring gear teeth machined directly into the cast iron flywheel.

One thing I am puzzled by, is that there is no vee belt grooves machined into the flywheel, so how is the alternator driven?

If you look closely at pic 8 you can see the groves in the flywheel for the v belts.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:23:07 AM »
Very Nice.  A real piece of British industrial History.

What a great find. 

Casey

Envy is a cruel mistress!

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:48:18 AM »
If you look closely at pic 8 you can see the groves in the flywheel for the v belts.

Looking at both pictures 1 and 8, all I can see is the feint mark left on the surface of the flywheel rim where the 3 Vee belts were running on the surface of the flywheel riml AKA flat belt fashion.

I would speculate that at some time in this engines history, that the original flywheel had worked loose on the crankshaft (this is quite a common occurence on single cyl Lister startomatic sets), hence on a twin cyl set its even more likely do to the greater load required by the alternator.

Further more, the seller states the set is rated at 7.5KVA. As the engine can only produce 10 HP the alternator is far too big for the engine. As a 6-1 startomatic would be rated at 3KVA and a 8-1 Startomatic rated at 4.5 KVA.

Hence this set should have a 5KVA alternator fitted to it.

Schwen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
The following comment was added to the auction listing by the seller, and seems to corroborate listard-jp2's observation that a 7.5Kw alternator is too big.

Seller Comment: Listing now updated with photos of control panel. Engine Serial number is 10921022 which matches the red and black plate on the cast base thus indicating the engine is the original unit. Plant No is 37301NA also from the red/black plate. Gen No is 8T40607 which says 6kw not 7.5kw as per alternator.

The reserve was NZD$5,800 (~USD$4,670). It eventually sold for NZD$6,800.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
Maybe lister went with the idea use a larger generator head to not max it out?
This would make a great Father's Day gift!
What is 6800nz in us?

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »
Maybe lister went with the idea use a larger generator head to not max it out?
This would make a great Father's Day gift!
What is 6800nz in us?

A generator thats over rated for the engine will bring said engine to its knees if you run the demand up.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 10:55:53 PM »
It is much better to overload your engine as opposed to overloading the generator head. The engine will begin smoking and slow down or stall when overloaded- immediately noticeable and reversible. If the generator head itself is overheated due to overload, the damage is generally permanent and you get no warning, just outright failure.

This is the primary reason to always oversize the generator head... at least slightly (10 or 15 percent).

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 07:17:06 AM »
Gary,     whilst on this topic could you kindly tell me what size head would usuually be fitted  to a TX3  @ 1500 RPM  ?  I`m thinking 20 KVA,  I have the option of a 22 KVA 2 pole 3000 RPM also,  no experience of TX s at this speed but my instincts say no.   

Mark.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
The TX3 at 1500 rpm makes 24.7hp (18kW) continuous rating - and maxes out at right around 40hp and 2500 rpm. Of course you will prefer running at 1500rpm for continuous duty.

The power curve flattens after 2500 rpm and fuel consumption spikes... but there is a 3000 rpm intermittent rating of 44.4bhp and 33.1kW for this model.

So, from the raw numbers above, the normal generator head sizing on a 1500rpm TX3 will be around 20kW... In 1800rpm North American sets it is normally 22 to 24kW.

dieselgman

ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
Thanks Gary,                                                                                                                                                                 

That makes it perfect for the 20 KVA/16 KW 4 pole head.

Mark.