Author Topic: aftermarket parts  (Read 3550 times)

offgridbuilder

• View Profile
aftermarket parts
« on: June 20, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
Hello, everyone. New member here. I'm in Williams Lake, B.C. Canada. I've just come into possession of an SR2 driven 7kW generator, badly damaged by water. It was left out in the weather for a couple of years. The damage is to the top end as the cylinders partly filled with water. I've dismantled it, dropped the cylinders off at a local machine shop and am waiting to hear just how much we'll need to bore oversize. I have two questions: first, what do you all think of the parts out there? DEV in India carries bearings, cylinders, pistons, rings etc., Sleeman and Hawkin in England carries most everything, Diesel Electric Services in Alaska carries most everything.....is any of it authentic Lister or is it all aftermarket? And aftermarket made in where? Anything wrong with the India-made parts? What should I stay far away from?

Second question: does anyone know where I can find an all-incusive service manual? I need to be able to set up my injector pumps, injectors, piston-head clearances, measure bearing clearances....I don't even know what the acceptable clearances are.

Thanks very much for your help, all!   Paul

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: aftermarket parts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »
Hi Paul, I'm Paul too. Dieselgman will be along shortly. He IS  Diesel-electric U.S. and will have all the original quality Lister parts you will likely need. Welcome and post pictures when you can !
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:51 AM »
+1 vote for dieselgman.  Awe inspiring support after sales we've seen here, substantial business with depth of stock, technically impressive.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 01:35:42 AM »
Paul,

Welcome to the forum!

If you don't mind paying a premium and doing a lot of searching, then "New Old Stocks" from OEM Lister stockists will be your best and most dependable source. That supply is very sketchy... especially for odd oversizes and such. There is a dependable British aftermarket for certain parts such as pistons, rings, valves and bearings - Vandervell, Federal Mogul, and Mayphil comes to mind.

We are a Lister/Petter dealership, but have found that many of the obsolete items are only available from aftermarket sources these days. Nothing wrong with going that direction as long as there is a solid warranty offered and you are very patient with your build (just in case something does not work out well). We handle these kinds of parts in large volumes and find most of it to be fine with just an occasional problem or two. We are also aware that Lister/Petter is once again in financial trouble and has lost some of its prime manufacturers... now we are finding that L/P is filling certain parts and some orders with lesser quality Indian product. They do not advertise this and it is troubling... (trade secrets and all), but we have found this to be apparently factual from first-hand experience. It is a sign of the times I guess.

We also have all documentation that Lister has published and made available for its dealers and its customers... the SR2 is not thoroughly covered with anything resembling a modern comprehensive service manual. We can offer all documents as reprints for a flat service fee. We use a number of different reference materials including some from Bryce to cover everything and certain fuel injection details are simply not at all thoroughly covered in any of the published materials we have at our disposal. We CAN find out just about any detail for you as well as provide the existing reference materials. This forum is an excellent resource in itself, lots of savvy and experienced hands-on people here.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:52:38 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

offgridbuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
Thanks, dieselgman and others. Once I've heard the bad news from the guy who will bore the cylinders for me, I will put together a shopping list. Great forum! By the way, I found quite a bit of good info on injection systems at oldengine.org    Paul