Puppeteer

Author Topic: LD1 and golf cart starter/generator  (Read 8923 times)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
LD1 and golf cart starter/generator
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:23:31 PM »

I have been eyeballing an LD1 and wondering if I could put a golf cart starter / generator to it and use it for light battery charging?

Could a golf cart starter / generator start an LD1 without using the compression release?

Does anyone know if the golf cart starter/generator require an outboard regulator / controller for the fields ? Or do they automatically switch from start to charge based on the rpm (field output) ?

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: LD1 and golf cart starter/generator
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »

I have been eyeballing an LD1 an wondering if I could put a golf cart starter / generator to it and use it for light battery charging?

Could a golf cart starter / generator start an LD1 without using the compression release?

Does anyone know if the golf cart starter/generator require an outboard regulator / controller for the fields ? Or do they automatically switch from start to charge based on the rpm (field output) ?

The answer is yes it can be fitted to an LD1. Will it work without the comp release....not sure.
Mine spins the Listeroid quite fast but I'm not sure it could overpower my LR1 (same engine as yours) past compression.
The problem is that the LR1/LD1 has a much smaller flywheel compared to the 20" and 23" wheels on the Listeroids.
You wont have the mechanical advantage over the compression stroke.

See my earlier post...
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6840.0

You do need a regulator.
You also need a "constant duty solenoid" which keeps the starter circuit energized while the engine is running.
Both the regulator and the solenoid are golf cart parts.

veggie
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:07:25 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Re: LD1 and golf cart starter/generator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »

Thanks for the info, this is such a great site for a newbie to learn from others !

I think I'll wait on that one, get my Listeroid up and running first then keep my eyes open for a new toy.