Author Topic: ST 7.5kw on a 6/1?  (Read 12798 times)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
ST 7.5kw on a 6/1?
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »

Finally uncrated my ST 5KW from Justliveoffgrid.com and turns out Jim shipped me a 7.5kw head,  will this even run on a 6/1? Or will it kill the engine if the load gets too high?

Can these ST heads spin either direction?

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: ST 7.5kw on a 6/1?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:08:03 AM »
IT should work OK, might be marginally less efficient(needs a little more field current to make rated voltage), but the ST5 and ST 7.5 are basically the same frame size I think.  What you do for load control is to use the appropriate sized circuit breakers, say 15A, to force the circuit to open before it pulls the RPM and voltage into an undervoltage/under frequency condition during an overload...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

johna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 05:39:30 AM »
ST heads can turn either direction.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »

Doesn't matter and nothing needs to be done, or is there a fan that needs to be reversed?

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »

Doesn't matter and nothing needs to be done, or is there a fan that needs to be reversed?

Nothing needs to be done.
It is a bi-Directrional alternator.

Veggi
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »

If you look into the pully end of the generator vents, you can see the fan.  They are straight, aligned perpendicular to the shaft so will move the same ammount of air regardless of which way it spins.  Going to make the same 4 recomendations associated with the ST series.
1. Check all the crimped connections throughly, especially down inside the main case.  Pull hard on them, better they come off in your hand then when the thing is spinning.
2. Get some small expanded metal wire mesh(used for putting up stucco, available at building supply stores) and make an air vent screen for the underside  of the generator casing on the driven end. I folded mine up over the ends and used the lower side vent screws to hold it in place  Mice love the inside for nesting, but it makes a real mess when you spin one up with a nest inside:)
3. Replace the stock diode bridge with a more robust solid state unit.  Not expensive, available at places liks surpluscenter.com.
4. IF you are going to run long hours on it, replace the bearings with better quality sealed units...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »

If you look into the pully end of the generator vents, you can see the fan.  They are straight, aligned perpendicular to the shaft so will move the same ammount of air regardless of which way it spins.  Going to make the same 4 recomendations associated with the ST series.
1. Check all the crimped connections throughly, especially down inside the main case.  Pull hard on them, better they come off in your hand then when the thing is spinning.
2. Get some small expanded metal wire mesh(used for putting up stucco, available at building supply stores) and make an air vent screen for the underside  of the generator casing on the driven end. I folded mine up over the ends and used the lower side vent screws to hold it in place  Mice love the inside for nesting, but it makes a real mess when you spin one up with a nest inside:)
3. Replace the stock diode bridge with a more robust solid state unit.  Not expensive, available at places liks surpluscenter.com.
4. IF you are going to run long hours on it, replace the bearings with better quality sealed units...

Anyone have the part number for good replacement bearings?

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »
Replacement bearings for ST: look here:
 http://stores.ebay.com/Central-Georgia-Generator/Bearings-/_i.html?_fsub=469367012&_sid=54603752&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
That's Central Georgia Generator.
Cheers,
Hugh

JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »
From Tom's posting:

•6307-2RS NDE Bearing ( Non Drive End Bearing ) 
•ID"     35mm (1.3780 ")
•OD:    80mm. (3.1496")
•width: 21mm. (.8268")

•6309-2RS DE   Bearing ( Drive End )                     
•ID:    45mm. ( 1.7716")   
•OD: 100mm ( 3.9370")
•Width:  25mm  (.9842")
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »
the only drawback on the 7.5, is that it has a larger than needed cooling fan, and so you will loose some fraction of HP to moving a bit of excess air.   
The great news is that the ratios needed to make it imbalanced and growl, will be quite high, maybe beyond your loading.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »

Thanks guys,  this is will be interesting as I go forward and see how this works. Chances are I will never load it harder than 4kw intentionally but having the 7.5kw for starting spikes will be nice.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »
That's a great point about the drag due to the larger fan.
I am running the ST10 on listeroid 8/1 and it works pretty good, if I draw to much on one leg it will growl . I wanted the larger gen head thinking I would likely get a larger engine and I now have a ashwamegh 25/2 in a creat for the next project so I have not regretted getting larger head.
Honda lee

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
Turbo intercooling and a larger element in the injection pump should get that Lister up to 12HP.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:19:03 PM »
Turbo intercooling and a larger element in the injection pump should get that Lister up to 12HP.

Funny guy, but it wouldn't surprise me to see somebody doing that....