Puppeteer

Author Topic: is this a good deal? ZS1130 for $850  (Read 20549 times)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
Re: is this a good deal? ZS1130 for $850
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

I'd sure like an engine like that and especially for that price!
You are getting a nice collection. Not going to be a power shortage at your place that's for sure!

I have one of these style engines and it's a real beauty. It's only the baby model but if the big one is anything like it, I'm sure you will be really pleased with it.
The flywheel does look pretty light on your one compared to my baby horizontal. The flywheel on mine isn't as large but much thicker.
Of course mine is tiny compared to yours but when I wind mine up and flip the decompression lever it will spin it through a couple of compressions.  That doesn't happen often admittedly, it usually fires right up even on straight WVO no matter how long it's been sitting round.

Dare I say it but I think so far that engine is my favourite even over the 'roid.
The only drawback to it is the thing is the noisiest engine I have by a good measure. Yours may be a lot quieter as mine is not water cooled like yours which should help a lot in the sound department. Then again that may not be important to you being on a farm and not having neighbours 30Ft away.

Looking forward to seeing pics of how you set it up and vids of it running.

The changfa clone is being built up as a back up / standby gen for my residence and I have neighbors within 30 feet on either side, but not behind me...that is all woods. I would have used a Listeroid but my wife is dead set on having AC during a power outage and I would need a monster 2cyl Listeroid to generate the minimum 15kw I need, a 30hp Changfa seemed like a better answer.

I see my plan is failing....I was masking my collection as useful equipment...and you saw right through it, wonder how fast the wife  catches on ....  ;D

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
It looks pretty nice from here!

Thanks, I will post video and photos as I go through the process of getting it running and turning it into a generator

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
That engine has features identical to the 1115 I purchased from Carroll Stream several years ago including the flywheel.  I cant hand crank the 1115 so its not hard to imagine that hand cranking that beast is a joke also.  When you tried the starter did you let it spin up on decompression? Mine will just barely start with a big battery and cables unless it is allowed to spin up. I dont even try to start it otherwise, seems like it would be very hard on the starter. Be sure to let us know how it runs, hint,, we (I) like videos!

Selling the wife ends the first hot or cold day or two or three without grid power. First long outage we had we not only ran our place like nothing we ran a cable to or neighbors and powered them up also, not fully but lights and well pump.   You will need to get rid of the hopper cooling and get a tank or radiator set up.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:29:26 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »

I see my plan is failing....I was masking my collection as useful equipment...and you saw right through it, wonder how fast the wife  catches on ....  ;D

As soon as the thing is up and running, Pull the breaker and tell her its a blackout and go down and fire up the genny.  Don't matter if she workes out there isn't a power shortage, you just look all innocent and say, oh, must have been the breaker that popped.
She will then look at your toys.... errr, useful equipment in a whole new light.

My wife was always at me about my collections of engines, generators and crap until we had a very rare blackout here one afternoon.  I wheeled out one of my home grown gennys, hooked up a couple of inverters and had the fridge and freezer working and the TV going and she was happy as. I offered to bring out another genny to run the washing machine that stopped in the middle of a load but she didn't want to bother me with that for some reason. Kind woman.

Only thing I get now when I look at gennys is asked if it will run the electric kettle because she didn't like boiling the billy on the camping stove.   ;D
Might make it a lot easier to get that 32 KVA unit I'm eyeing off on flea babe.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
Lets hope you did not fill they cylinder with diesel with all the priming of the injector.  That will make it bounce!   I suppose cranking a few revs decompressed and no fuel would blow a lot of excess out.

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
I have a 195 and the first time I tried to start it this spring I found I needed 3 hands, one to hold down the decompressor lever, the other 2 to crank over the engine.

Oh, yeah, the other thing to look for is make sure you have the rack open, not closed.  I know this from experience.   :-[

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 12:44:56 AM »
your going to have to have decent size cables and a good battery, mounted correctly and up close
i doubt you will ever get it to roll over with anything but really heavy duty cables and they best not be too long.

that engine will make 10kwe at 1500rpm without breaking a sweat

and i agree, i have no idea what the hand crank option is included for?  one would have to be a pissed off gorilla to manage to start that engine even in hot climates.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »

After reading these posts I am having an uh oh moment....The plan was for auto start on this project...I suppose I can rig up a solenoid to decompress to allow the starter to spin up automatically before the decompress closes...

Guess I need to find some short heavy duty battery cables. The ones I have are 5ft long, probably too long and not heavy enough, certainly better than the cheapo jumper cables I used. The battery is a 1000CCA that i purchased for cranking the Listeroid, which turns over like there is no compression, no spin up required.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »

If your jumper cables were heating up rapidly, that's a good sign they were under rated.  I love it when I see "100 amp" chinese crap cables in the department stores. The majority wouldn't go near 100A and even if they did, that's still not enough juice to start my motorcycle.

I just took some cables I added in out of my old truck. They came from a Mercedes Diesel I scrapped. They are about 4 Ft long and real good and heavy. They start the truck with no problems at all. I added a 2nd huge battery and directly wired to the originals on the engine and chassis. Either battery will start the vehicle fine with the other disconnected.

Any diesel truck cables from a wreckers should be fine and I wouldn't worry about length too much as long as you get heavy gauge. They are much cheaper than buying new cable and you often can find them with the terminals you want which is a saving.
I also use Subaru battery cables which aren't bad. Probably a bit light for a diesel but I just double them up and they are fine.
I keep a good supply of spare batt cables around because I always seem to be wanting some for some project I'm doing.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »
Yep, jumper cables won't do it.  Not because the cables are not up to the task, but because you are trying to pull all that current thru the little sheetmetal teeth tips on the alligator clamps.  I bet you were arc welding at those points:).  You need a hard bolted terminal lug or terminal battery connection with large surface area to transfer any ammount of current.  When I spin mine I hold the compression release and spin it up to full RPM before I drop the compression release. This saves wear on the starter as the stored momentum of the flywheel helps it pull thru. 

A couple of failed starts could indeed have it nearly hydraulicilly locked with excess fuel in the cylinder and there may even be some remnants of shipping/storage lube oil in the cylinder.  Next time you try, leave the fuel off, and spin it a little bit with the compression release open to try andd clear the cylinder before you try and start it...

After you get it running and broke in, you will probably be able to hand start it, but not very easilly when cold...   Mine is pretty tough when cold, but not so bad when at a reasonable temperature...

Also wear hearing protection, that thing will sound like a barrel half full of hammers rolling down a hill when running:)     
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 10:46:14 PM »
my bet is 2/0 or 00 cables, with eyelets (as ronmar suggests) 6ft long or shorter
coupled with a good battery (your 1000cca battery qualifies) and you will find it will
roll over and start without messing with the compression release.

that release is really meant to be used with handcranking and unnecessary with the electric
starter provided you have enough battery and heavy enough cables.

and after it is broken in you can hand crank that beast, you are a much bigger man than i am.

that engine is basically every bit as big as the redstone, but has only one flywheel so hand cranking would be something one would only do in a life and death situation in my opinion

bob g

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:22 AM »

I will have an update this weekend using heavy cables, should be interesting.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 03:14:43 AM »
when you make the connections, and if it still won't roll over without the compression release
then put a volt meter at the starter and measure the voltage getting to the starter terminals while cranking

if it drops below about 10volts you either have a bad or poorly charged battery or the cables and/or connectors are too light.

next check at the battery while cranking, if the voltage stays up above 10volts while cranking the battery is good enough in my opinion.

a good battery, heavy enough cables and connectors and you won't need to worry about the compression release in my opinion.

don't be fooled into thinking that because the voltage is dropping that you need to use the compression release to take the strain off the starter, low voltage kills more starters than just about anything other than over cranking/overheating. so get enough power to the starter and it will do what it was designed to do.

bob g

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »

Does anyone have suggestions for either a bolt on drive coupling or a source for a larger pulley for this beast ?

I have been searching for either a larger pulley, a serpentine or a direct coupling and have yet to find anything that would just bolt on. I would hate to have to go to a machine shop and get adapters made, but the stock v-belt pulley is small, less torque more slippage. I would like to be able to gear the RPM's down too via pulleys but will settle for a good direct connect coupling at 1800rpm just for reliability.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

This thread and not having the inclination to Muscle round the Roid to balance it, made me Dig out my little China Horizontal today.  As soon as I got it out I remembered the biggest drawback with the thing was that Damned Pulley.  I was thinking about trying to find some plate and get my brother in law to centre it up for me on his lathe so I can weld in a shaft and get him to put a 3/4 and 1" step in it.

I have some large faceplate like things off a lathe that I picked up from a scrap bin outside of a machine shop that are probably heavier then the original flywheel. I might talk to him about what these would need to bolt up to the flywheel and put the shaft on one of those.
Might be better to go somewhere and have them done, he's a fine machinist but I'd be lucky to get the things back by christmas....... next year.

I looked on some China engine sites and the only thing I found for those engines is the original flywheel and pulley. Not much good to you.
perhaps having a plate and shaft made to fit may be the easiest option for you?

While looking, I noted the starter motors on some slightly smaller machines.  They were .7 KW.
Seems that even if your starter is double that, it shouldn't pull massive amounts of Current.  The starter on my Merc was 3Kw and the one on my truck is only 2.7 and normal batteries and cables spin them up just fine.

Of course being a new engine everything is going to be tight so that may have an effect on the cranking effort.
My little engine hasn't got a great deal of hours on it but trying to turn it over today without the compression release was impossible no matter how slowly I tried to turn the flywheel and let the compression escape through the piston rings.
As I suspected might be the case, the injector pump was stuck, again, so I pulled that all apart, cleaned the gum out and got it firing again nicely. It was well and truly stuck this time and it proved hard to get apart especially the main plunger but all good now. Pressure pack $2 degreaser works great cleaning those pumps and gets everything moving again.

All part of the fun I suppose but I'll make sure to run the thing on engine or 2 stroke oil before I put it away again this time and drain the tank which is also gummed up.

Why do they put such useless fuel taps and tanks on Chinese engines?
 All my china engines fuel caps leak as do the taps where fitted.  I never fill the tanks as it gets shaken up and comes out to run all over the engine.
Pain in the Butt.