Puppeteer

Author Topic: is this a good deal? ZS1130 for $850  (Read 26190 times)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
is this a good deal? ZS1130 for $850
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
No brand
ZS1130 Single cylinder, horizontal, 4-strokes, water-cooled,Direct injection Max power:30HP/2200rpm Displacement:1.593L Fuel consumption rate(g/kw.h): ≤244.8 Starting System:Hand cranking and electric comes with tool kit and extra set of piston  rings  included 1 large flywheel

Buy it now for $850

Could I drive a 10kw head at 1500rpm with one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-diesel-30-hp-water-cooled-engine-good-for-pump-compressor-generator-head-/321035811570?pt=BI_Generators&hash=item4abf39baf2

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: is this a good deal? ZS1130 for $850
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »
You would want to get a real number for its horsepower rating at 1500rpm, but unless that particular power band is extremely steep for some reason, it seems that the engine in question should be ample horsepower for 10kW or somewhat better.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:57:08 AM »

I think I am going to pass on it for now, still getting the listeroid put together....apparently I am getting the fever....

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »
"apparently I am getting the fever...."

Welcome to the club!   :laugh:

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:40:22 AM »
Hard to say if a good deal or not? Depends on the quality, some are good, some are junk. I looked those over myself and tried to get some info from the seller but he was very uncooperative. $850 is getting "down there" however. The Cadillacs of that type engine in my opinion are the 1115 Laidongs which were brought in by John Ferguson who sold out to Jim at Just Live Off Grid.  Haven't seen a price posted since Jim took them over. I own one of them and it is a SWEETHEART! I need to find a job for it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:11:57 AM »
For direct drive it may make enough HP for 10KW of electricity at 1500 RPM.  Where are you at that you run 50HZ?  Since the engines are in Buffalo NY, I am guessing you will need 1800 RPM for 60HZ...  That makes it even more likley to be within the engines available HP at that RPM to make 10KW.  IF belt drive, I am sure you could arrange a pully relationship that gives you the necessary 20 HP to feed 10KW at your desired RPM. IF you don't have to ship it too far, $850 sounds pretty good to me...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 04:14:45 AM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
Hard to say if a good deal or not? Depends on the quality, some are good, some are junk. I looked those over myself and tried to get some info from the seller but he was very uncooperative. $850 is getting "down there" however. The Cadillacs of that type engine in my opinion are the 1115 Laidongs which were brought in by John Ferguson who sold out to Jim at Just Live Off Grid.  Haven't seen a price posted since Jim took them over. I own one of them and it is a SWEETHEART! I need to find a job for it.

I have been speaking with him via email, he appears cooperative but seems like either English is a second language or he is emailing from a cell phone, his responses to questions are all short and cryptic. I see in the feedback he has a couple happy buyers of this engine, I am thinking about purchasing two of them as they seem really hard to find now. I am considering building one into a backup generator for my house, (not the off grid property where the Listeroid is) with a 10kw or maybe a 15kw ST. I would like to set it up for autostart but have yet to see anyone do this with a Changfa style....

I don't believe this is rated at 30hp either, everything I can find on the 1130 engines is that they are rated to 22hp @ 2200 rpm....

Buffalo is roughly a 6hr ride for me if I cut through Canada,  I am thinking 7.5 hrs if I don't cut through Canada, I am thinking about driving out there to pick them up, would be a long day but probably far cheaper than shipping. I would cut through Canada on the way  there but not for the return trip as I don't need the hassle at the border trying to come back in with a pair of epa banned engines....

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:49:40 AM by DirtMMerchant »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
Good he is talking to you maybe he has learned a bit since putting those on Ebay a year ago, LOL.  I asked him for some pictures of the actual engines he is selling since the photos don't match the description and he got real chitty with me,,, sorry don't need to go on and on about it.
As for the HP ratings there seems to be no standards. The more upfront of Mfgs and retailers list a maximum rating and a continuous rating and the continuous rating is somewhere around 80% of the maximum which is surely what he is claiming in the ads. 1130 should be about 23-25 HP continuous at full RPM,a bit less at 1800 my guess.  I have one of the "economy" 1115s on my stand by set and it has about 70 hours on it now with just a couple very minor issues. I did circumvent a disaster by removing some covers and checking bolts as recommended on the sticky  at the top of this forum. Personally I would do the same with that engine if I was to buy one, please keep us informed if you pull the trigger on one  :).

Oops, guess that sticky is over on the other forum :o

Punch here http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?board=6.0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:15:28 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »

Pulled the trigger today, having it shipped to me rather than picking up, will be interesting to see how this goes.

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »

The Changfa clone arrived on Friday, took it to the farm and unpacked it on Saturday. it is a monstor, very big, very heavy. Did some cursory checks, oiled and fueled it up, attempted a hand crank start. Hand crank starting this engine is just stupid, after several attempts and one kick back, it seems like the flywheel is unable to carry over the compression stroke, I spin it as fast as I can, then drop the decompression valve and continue to crank, it hits compression and bounces back. It bounced back so hard that I pulled something in my wrist.

After several failed attempts to hand start it, I decided to hook up the electric start,  this does the same thing, gets to the compression stroke and stops the starter. I spin it as fast as the starter can go, the flip the decompression and it literally stops the starter. I am thinking the starter could be 24volts?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
ouch !

Do you get any smoke on the bounce back (at the intake) ?   Was the injector firing?

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
It looks pretty nice from here!

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:06:53 AM »
ouch !

Do you get any smoke on the bounce back (at the intake) ?   Was the injector firing?

No, no smoke on the bounce back and yes the injector was "creaking" on the decompressed strokes.

I contacted the seller to ask if it was a 12v or 24v starter, he asked if the starter was getting  enough current,  I have to admit I was using a cheap pair of jumper cables so it is possible there was not enough current for the starter to fully spool up, the jumper cables got to hot to touch fairly fast.

I will try it next weekend with some actual battery cables and see what I get....

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

I'd sure like an engine like that and especially for that price!
You are getting a nice collection. Not going to be a power shortage at your place that's for sure!

I have one of these style engines and it's a real beauty. It's only the baby model but if the big one is anything like it, I'm sure you will be really pleased with it.
The flywheel does look pretty light on your one compared to my baby horizontal. The flywheel on mine isn't as large but much thicker.
Of course mine is tiny compared to yours but when I wind mine up and flip the decompression lever it will spin it through a couple of compressions.  That doesn't happen often admittedly, it usually fires right up even on straight WVO no matter how long it's been sitting round.

Dare I say it but I think so far that engine is my favourite even over the 'roid.
The only drawback to it is the thing is the noisiest engine I have by a good measure. Yours may be a lot quieter as mine is not water cooled like yours which should help a lot in the sound department. Then again that may not be important to you being on a farm and not having neighbours 30Ft away.

Looking forward to seeing pics of how you set it up and vids of it running.

The changfa clone is being built up as a back up / standby gen for my residence and I have neighbors within 30 feet on either side, but not behind me...that is all woods. I would have used a Listeroid but my wife is dead set on having AC during a power outage and I would need a monster 2cyl Listeroid to generate the minimum 15kw I need, a 30hp Changfa seemed like a better answer.

I see my plan is failing....I was masking my collection as useful equipment...and you saw right through it, wonder how fast the wife  catches on ....  ;D

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
It looks pretty nice from here!

Thanks, I will post video and photos as I go through the process of getting it running and turning it into a generator