Puppeteer

Author Topic: 6/1 original Dursley with 5kW Marathon  (Read 4584 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
6/1 original Dursley with 5kW Marathon
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:56 AM »
The 6/1 Dursley unit has now been moved up to Placerville - (Sacramento) area. I will keep it there until I'm ready to travel back to the midwest in July unless someone takes it off my hands. Any interest in this beauty of a generator?

200 hours on original British Lister 6/1 mounted to steel skid with Marathon 5kW head. Ready to run, just add cooling tank. We also have an original British cooling tank (in Kansas) if desired.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:55:16 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Stan

Re: 6/1 original Dursley with 5kW Marathon
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
I've always been curious about mounting a Lister with the cast iron base onto a very solid and rigid frame such as this one.  I figure you have to be very careful that the frame is exactly straight and true otherwise you are stressing the cast iron base when you tighten it.  I guess the solution if you aren't sure your base is true, is to put rubber of some kind between the engine and the base.

Thoughts?
Stan

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
The originals are on cast iron bases and the mounting bosses are quite heavy... the key element in avoiding stress is the shim process when snugging up the mounting bolts. The process simply calls for thin shim stock to be placed under the mounting feet until equal contact is achieved all around.

The machine in question here is using a 1/4" plate steel base welded onto heavy steel channel, it is shimmed solid (between engine and base) so as to avoid the stresses you mention. The rubber pads are used under the steel base to stabilize and absorb some of the vibration shock. The generator head itself is solidly mounted to an adjustable plate.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
The 6/1 Dursley unit has now been moved up to Placerville - (Sacramento) area. I will keep it there until I'm ready to travel back to the midwest in July unless someone takes it off my hands. Any interest in this beauty of a generator?

200 hours on original British Lister 6/1 mounted to steel skid with Marathon 5kW head. Ready to run, just add cooling tank. We also have an original British cooling tank (in Kansas) if desired.

dieselgman

how much are you looking for?

Nevermind, saw the other posting for $10k....more than I can justify to the wifey....

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:40:59 PM by DirtMMerchant »

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 01:28:44 AM »

Nevermind, saw the other posting for $10k....more than I can justify to the wifey....

It's all relevant.

When I bought my 300Kg+ listeroid last year for $600 I was questioned by the cook if it was worth it and what was I going to do with it and what was it good for etc.

About 2 weeks later when I gave her the $6000 eternity ring I had custom made for our 20th wedding anniversary that weighed under 20 Grams, that was not a problem in any way.
What's it good for, what can you do with it?  Other than flash it off to friends and have them Jabber about it, stuffed if I know.
Was it worth it?  Well to her it goes without saying.  To me, Meh!

A couple of weeks later, she got a new car for Christmas.  Again, no question of the price of that or if it was worth it or justification over the old perfectly good vehicle was mentioned.

I buy 1 toy I had waited 7 years to get and I have to justify that every which way and get the look and attitude forever after when it's mentioned or I play with it.
 She gets what she wants and it's right and proper and beyond question.

Just last Night when looking at a gen head on Ebay, I was told  " No more engines".
I said your right, it's too much. When I buy one, I feel guilty and want to go buy you diamond rings and new cars.  You don't need any more rings anymore than I need another engine.
  Without a seconds hesitation she said, " Rings are different"!

The laughter from the kids and chants of " Mum got Owned" made further comment unnecessary as I sat there and placed a bid while they all watched. 
Me........."Haw!"
Wife........"Rings ARE different"......laughs

BTW, I'm looking for a Dursley, so it all fits
JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project