Author Topic: its here ! (Powerline 6/1 "Compressor")  (Read 31884 times)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
its here ! (Powerline 6/1 "Compressor")
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Finally received my Powerline 6/1 "compressor" from Justliveoffgrid.com  (Jim Calder).  Now I have the painful wait for the engine kit to arrive  :(  

I opened it up and was surprisingly clean inside, it is apparent that somebody went in with a grinder of sorts and cleaned up the casting, I did find some grit in the oil reservoir area, getting that cleaned up now. I was pleasantly surprised to see a spin on oil filter kit already on it.    

Anybody know where I can get those brass water fittings that screw directly into the flanges on these engines (BSP pipe thread) ?

now the pics !

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:26:11 AM by DirtMMerchant »

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: its here ! (Powerline 6/1 "Compressor")
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
British Pipe is a straight thread. Try (just try) one of our North American tapered pipe thread fittings in it. Should snug down to a watertite seal. I do it all the time on my British engines. Jim is a nice guy.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:28:26 PM »
Is there some reason that you just can't run a tapered tap into the flange to improve water-tightness?

contaucreek:  What do you use to seal the threads?  I've finally surrendered to using a liquid sealant (Prime brand without going downstairs to the tool room) on the male and female and then putting teflon tape on the male before tightening the unit down - not too tight.  My experience is with household galvanized pipe so I'm not faced with temperature differentials that these engines experience.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:29:16 PM »
Is there some reason that you just can't run a tapered tap into the flange to improve water-tightness?

contaucreek:  What do you use to seal the threads?  I've finally surrendered to using a liquid sealant (Prime brand without going downstairs to the tool room) on the male and female and then putting teflon tape on the male before tightening the unit down - not too tight.  My experience is with household galvanized pipe so I'm not faced with temperature differentials that these engines experience.

Casey
Works for me as well. I use a teflon paste type pipe sealant, same as I use in plumbing jobs. Always has worked fine. I use galvanized fittings, except for fuel (brass there) or exhaust There just plain black iron).
I would be interested in your progress with the compressor changeover, keep us posted please.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »
I use tape too.

Horsepoor

• West Palm Beach, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:32:38 AM »
Nice air compressor, looking forward to details on conversion with photos along the way. Very nice.
GTC 20/2 down rated to 850 rpm - ST 15
Metro 6/1 800 rpm on cart - ST 7.5

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will try it with brass 1 inch barbed fittings and some tape and see what happens. Still a couple weeks away from assembling it and getting it running as I can only work on it on Saturdays.  I will post pics as I progress with it and of course the first run video !

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »
Just curious, why does a "compressor" need a ring gear???  ;)
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
Just curious, why does a "compressor" need a ring gear???  ;)

To drive the gear for the intercooler line  ;D  ;)

DirtMerchant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »
 After some searching here I found the correct water fittings,  $18 each but I would rather have the correct fittings to start with, now to figure out how to mount a temp sensor in the system, anyone know of a temp gauge, sensor that does double duty? ie sends variable voltage to gauge and provides switching for over temp? 

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-4092-john-guest-brass-male-stem-adapter-bsp-28mm-x-1-bsp.aspx?

I am connecting to this cheap Chinese radiator ($29) along with an overflow tank and an 7 inch radiator fan ($21)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230981065782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261141906346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:17:11 AM by DirtMMerchant »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »
For a vast array of adjustable and non-adjustable fan switches search "Jegs" and punch in fan switch in their search box.  Summit racing would be another source. Not aware of a double duty sender for both guage and fan but  Murphy would be a good place to start. Nice find on those BPT nipples but worrries about using standard US pipe are unfounded, work just fine with a dab of sealer.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 01:17:02 AM »
Hi

Try the likes of VDO, or Faria, who do a range of gauges and appropriate senders.
I've only seen these dual function senders for oil pressure, never temperature, but you never know until you try...
If this doesn't work out, then how about old fashioned technology? A Murphy "switchgauge" is a completely mechanical device, using a bulb and capillary tube to operate a gauge, on the needle of which sits an electrical contact. There is a second contact on a user positioned arm, inside the instrument. When the needle touches the arm it makes a circuit, which you can use to energise a buzzer, or light a bulb, or both. Far easier to understand than to explain!
The only down-side is you need to find a way to accommodate the bulb, which is quite bulky.
If you can manage that, though, you end up with a "historic" looking instrument panel, in keeping with the Lister's appearance, as Murphy never updated the appearance of these instruments.
All the types I've mentioned are commonplace on boats, so a marine chandlers would be a good place to start the search.
Good luck
Sparks

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
As 38ac mentioned I used one of these to control my radiator fan http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/33011/10002/-1 there is no need to have a sending unit plumbed into the system. I put the bulb at the upper radiator tank and adjusted it my liking.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

magnicon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
Just one word of warning,don't be tempted to use one of those clip on pipe stats.They are horribly innacurate and completely unreliable.I found out the hard way !.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:17 AM »
Or those $1.00 thermostatic  snap switches from Hong Hong or ROC, useless even when immersed.  The adjustable  type with a bulb and capiliary tube are much better and can be scavenged from old water heaters.

Mark.