Puppeteer

Author Topic: 240 Volt wiring  (Read 3267 times)

Gippslander

• View Profile
240 Volt wiring
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
Hi

I am wondering if it is suitable or beneficial to have a stand alone 240 Volt wiring system for the ST-3 head . I prefer not to have the ST-3 wired into the shed 240 V mains wiring with change over  relays , but instead, I will install wiring for the St-3 as its own wiring distribution  , mainly to power workshop gear like lathes through a VFD , a single to 3 phase converter .

Is it OK just to use the active and neutral feeds from the ST-3 head  ( 2 wires ) , without a earth system ?   

Mike
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

sparks

• View Profile
Re: 240 Volt wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
Hi Mike

I wouldn't recommend it.
Your building code may insist on a protective earth anyway, leading to insurance issues if you don't include it.
Even if this isn't the case in your area, you should still use an earth.
Theoretically you won't need it, as long as the genny head is completely isolated from ground, but this can never be guaranteed, no matter how careful you are.
You should also fit an earth leakage circuit breaker (RCBO) in the output to protect you from any faulty equipment you may unwittingly try to power from your new circuit.
These may not work, if a proper earth connection is not made!
Also, bear in mind, nothing can protect you from harm if you somehow manage to contact both live and neutral (or any two phases!) at the same time.
Electricity generated at home is just as dangerous as the stuff the power company supplies...

sparks

Gippslander

• View Profile
Re: 240 Volt wiring
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
OK, thank you for the advice  :)   Mike

Hi Mike

I wouldn't recommend it.
Your building code may insist on a protective earth anyway, leading to insurance issues if you don't include it.
Even if this isn't the case in your area, you should still use an earth.
Theoretically you won't need it, as long as the genny head is completely isolated from ground, but this can never be guaranteed, no matter how careful you are.
You should also fit an earth leakage circuit breaker (RCBO) in the output to protect you from any faulty equipment you may unwittingly try to power from your new circuit.
These may not work, if a proper earth connection is not made!
Also, bear in mind, nothing can protect you from harm if you somehow manage to contact both live and neutral (or any two phases!) at the same time.
Electricity generated at home is just as dangerous as the stuff the power company supplies...

sparks
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia