Puppeteer

Author Topic: ARE THESE GUYS MISSING IT?  (Read 16213 times)

Dail R H

• View Profile
ARE THESE GUYS MISSING IT?
« on: June 19, 2006, 11:11:47 PM »
   What are the manufacturers thinking about? They are building a product aimed at third world customers,with third world spendable incomes.   " Ahmed" gecides that he needs an engine to irrigate his fields,grind grain,or whatever. He takes two or three years income and buys an engine that because the idler gear shaft was put in wrong will only run 400 hrs. What happens then? Is it now junk?Where does he get parts,or better how does he pay for them ?
   Substitute casting sand,leaks,broken castings,or any of the maladies Listeroid owners have faced. Why would a manufacturer do this? Cheap made crap is cheap made crap,don't matter how much green paint you put on it. You can bet the farm,if Mr Ahmed bought an XYZ bramd engine,and it pukes it's guts,he's going to tell it downt at the bar- coffee shop,or whatever the local gathering spot is .These guys are supossedly howling costs,how much does bad publicity cost?
   This is a good design,or it wouldn't have lasted this long. One of these days,some one is going to start building "GOOD" engines again using Mr Lister's design,and they will sell. Period. Yes they will cost more up front,but when Mr Ahmed goes to his banker,bil,or local loanshark,wherever he gets his money ,that guy is going to want to know this lump of iron is going to have more than scrap value 1 year from now.
   Wonder who it will be,and when?

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: ARE THESE GUYS MISSING IT?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:06:35 AM »
   What are the manufacturers thinking about? They are building a product aimed at third world customers,with third world spendable incomes.   " Ahmed" gecides that he needs an engine to irrigate his fields,grind grain,or whatever. He takes two or three years income and buys an engine that because the idler gear shaft was put in wrong will only run 400 hrs. What happens then? Is it now junk?Where does he get parts,or better how does he pay for them ?
   Substitute casting sand,leaks,broken castings,or any of the maladies Listeroid owners have faced. Why would a manufacturer do this? Cheap made crap is cheap made crap,don't matter how much green paint you put on it. You can bet the farm,if Mr Ahmed bought an XYZ bramd engine,and it pukes it's guts,he's going to tell it downt at the bar- coffee shop,or whatever the local gathering spot is .These guys are supossedly howling costs,how much does bad publicity cost?
   This is a good design,or it wouldn't have lasted this long. One of these days,some one is going to start building "GOOD" engines again using Mr Lister's design,and they will sell. Period. Yes they will cost more up front,but when Mr Ahmed goes to his banker,bil,or local loanshark,wherever he gets his money ,that guy is going to want to know this lump of iron is going to have more than scrap value 1 year from now.
   Wonder who it will be,and when?

serious question, what makes you think the "good" engines are shipped abroad, and the crap ones are sold to mr ghupta's second cousins brother in low out in the country?
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 12:30:43 AM »
   I'm not sure that any of the engines are good now. Exporting bad engines would be just as bad sa selling them localy. The point is ,a new engine shouldn't have quality  issues ,no matter where it's sold.Dirt,misalignment,broken parts ,poor assembly practices ,and shoddy materials and workmanship ought not to have to be tolerated.
   One day ,someone will build "GOOD" engines,that don't have to be rebuilt before being put into service.That someone will do very well financialy,but it will take a lot of work to do it.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:58:44 AM »
here is my take on quality issues

a prevalent failure is the idler on twins, that is easy to correct, buy a better gear period, cost increase a buck or two.
correct machining problems, alignment or whatever, you already are set up to machine it in the first place, so buy a better cutter and pay attention, cost increase another 20 bucks or so tops.

sand in the casting, spend another hour, paying attention to detail, how much is an indian worker per hour? even if it was 10 bucks i would be surprised.

i have built diesel engines in blowing sand, dirt floors etc. is it easy? .  no! can it be done? yes ... and have quality? yes!
increase in cost? maybe another 2 hours on the whole job in labor, and a large enuf towel to cover open and unaffected parts of the engine.  again in indian costs perhaps another 20 or 30 bucks.

add it all up, and you come out to an increase of around 100 bucks, perhaps the builders in india should sell a second tier of
engine that is built up to snuff, and sell it for 500 bucks more, clearing an additional 400 bucks profit!, i would gladly pay it as would most folks here i would assume.

i personally am so friggin tired of the rat race here in the states, i am beginning to wonder if maybe i should move to india and setup my own shop to produce these engines and oversee how they are made.

i agree the first to take this job seriously stands to make big bank in the process. All other manufatures would have to follow suit or go away, i would give them a year before they would drop like flies and the one good builder would have it all.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:50:34 AM »
ARE THESE GUYS MISSING IT?

YES!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:56:16 AM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:04:47 AM »
They're gonna get it!

The beauty of the internet is it's the great equalizer.

Never before have we been able to share tales like this. This is EXACTLY what this forum is for. Sharing information. As an owner of two engines, i don't see ever owning a third. Both are time bombs. They might last 10000 hours but more likley they will break after a few hundred. It's a great proven design, Should last 40,000 hours, absoulutley ruined by poor quality and lots of filler and putty.

When and if India gets the message, and they put some real quality controls in place, the Listeroid may again become the timeless prime mover we dreamt of.

I really hate to sound so negative, but I don't see any improvement whatsoever. Many times sellers have claimed they're new brand is the best they've ever seem and always, it turns out to be a bomb. I'd love to see the day when someone actually polishes cranks and uses sharp taps and true milling tools. Still waiting...

Keep telling the truth, document your experience along with the manufacturers name. Show photographs of the manufacturers "work" and humiliate them into either imrpoving quality or finding another line of work. People all over the WORLD read this forum and they're sales will dry up and they will go away. Allow capitalism to work it's magic.

RB
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:07:45 PM by rocketboy »
Sadly, artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidiy.

europachris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 02:33:14 AM »
Part of the attraction of the Listeroid is the fact that they are CHEAP to buy.  Face it, $1000 is pretty darn cheap for an engine of any sort, let alone a big diesel.  Sure, they are simple engines, but it's still a lot of casting and machining.

What would a real British Lister cost today?  $5000?  $10000?  Nobody here, except a select few, could afford such a beast.  It would last 40,000 hours, but with no sales, it doesn't make a difference.  Why did Lister stop making them in the first place?  Too big, too expensive, not enough power, too heavy.  Limited market.  We are a fringe group of hobbyists that want to burn alternate fuels, live off-grid, or just have a big smelly toy.  Few companies are going to get into that market.

I do find it hard to believe, though, that the Indian consumer of their own Listeroids tolerates the crap they get.  Do they get better engines in-country?  Who knows.  Maybe we DO get all the crap???

If I had a bunch of spare time, spare cash, and the right connections, I'd reverse engineer a real 6/1 and have it all cast in China, along with all the rough machining.  Ship all the parts over in a big container, and handle the finish machining, blueprinting, paint and assembly in the USA.  I've seen some real fine quality iron castings coming out of China.  The entire transmission housing of my Cub Cadet 2544 lawn tractor is cast in China.  Then Cub assembles it and installs the hydrostatics in the USA.  Beautiful setup.

Some of the other parts it seems the Indians do OK with (pistons, injectors and pumps, etc.), so you could buy those there.

Of course, the EPA put a big crimp in that whole plan, so the only way you could make it fly would be to supply a "kit" engine and let the final customer handle the paint work and final assembly.  That limits severely your market, as not everyone has the mechanical touch to build up an engine properly from a big box of parts.

Maybe someone is already working on that idea.  If not, use mine.  I'm not going to, so what the heck!  Maybe there's a way to get around the EPA rules and sell a complete engine? 

OTOH, Arrow Engine still makes quite a line of big, low speed engines, right here in the good 'ol US of A.  They are big time $$$.  But they sell them because there is a demand and people will pay for the engines, which are for very specific uses.  If oil well pumps didn't use them, they'd be long gone also, like the genuine Lister.

Chris

BobH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 03:39:58 AM »
At last this forum has realized that these engines are junk. I purchased a 12/2 and a 14/1 and a perkins deisel generator at the same time. The perkins was make in china, ith burns the same amount of fuel as the 12/2 starts automatically, etc., great quality.  My other one lasted 11000 hrs with only oil changes. I personally don't trust the listeroids enough top put them on line. I think we need a new forum to find out what the best engine is for our application and evaluate all diesel engines. China can produce junk but they will listen to there customers.

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »
$1000 is cheap for an engine, problem is... the engine is only worth about $50.

Will someone else sandblast the paint off your engine (many flywheels look like swiss cheese) and PLEASE prove me wrong.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 03:54:33 PM »
Rocketboy;
I enjoyed your web page very much. I built a Listeroid engineroom in my garage. It was inspired by yours in your hanger. (I'm building an RV8, so I like the Rocket stuff too.)
I have not run my powerplant as much as you, but I relate very well to your distrust. I really don't want to walk away from it while it's 'on line'. Shaking, rattling, thrown belts, broken mount bolts, exhaust leaks, it needs a watch standing engineer. When changing the idler gear @ 7 hours run time, I decided to tear down due to sand. I'm taming the problems one at a time.
I got it rebuilt to a semi satisfactory state before exhaustion took me. Now I'm working on the RV8 while I'm inspired in that direction. It's powered by a Mazda 13b turbo rotary. I must be sick it the head. Who could wish this kind if mechanical mayhem on themselves?
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
Speaking from first hand experience on working on both original Lister engines and the CS clones that I saw made in front on me while at several Indian factories, I can let you people in on a few facts.

The Indians made these engines for their own market and for third world countries such as Africa. The main markets for them is home, Africa, Iran, Pakistan, South America and China. The engine they make for all of those countries is the same one you order. There are not different engines for different countries available because it is not viable for them.

They DO NOT make special engines for anyone.  
They will all tell you their engine is the best.
They will all tell you they make castings and machine all parts.
None of them will give you a straight answer on bearing life. Nor can they provide historical data on bearing performance.
None of them will give you the bearing manufacturers name, this prevents you from finding the 'source' which is very secret to them for all parts. It also prevents you from getting answers.

You can buy higher grade internal parts, you MUST ask for these, and you must KNOW what the grades are. It is difficult to know what to ask for, when you dont know what to ask for!

I have some high grade parts here and they are as good as Lister made!
It was a guess on my part as the text meant nothing to me (I dont speak Indian) so I was flying by the seat of my pants and went be feel and bought a few spares to bring home.

You can buy higher grade castings, but I doubt anyone will spead the money on buying the minimum quantity. 500 pcs is typical for most parts.

The quality of stock parts on every clone I saw screamed utter junk. Some say JKson use CNC, they do not. None of the engine builders use CNC. While talking of JKson, do not buy their blocks with the chrome finished liner for an original Lister. The chrome wears very quickly and is rather cheap grade. All the factories used blunt tools, big hammers and bigger hammers for setting gib keys. If a bolt is not going in as expected, it is beaten in and a long pipe used for additional leverage to make it move. I stood there  dumb struck as this build unfolded in front of me.

You must ask for the engine to be broken in on new oil, there is a fee for this (i.e cost of the oil).

The engine build manual is a laugh, a child would have more in it for the builders attention. I was given an english translation, it was less than one page!

If you wish to buy a quantity of high grade engines you better be prepared to buy 500 pcs. This is the minimum amount of parts they must buy. how western orders will they see for 500 engines?.........I doubt they will sell that many in year and they must sit on those parts while weatern orders come in. It simply will not happen.

Hmmm buy the all the parts and build them yourself?......sure if you have the funds and the time.

The engines are ran in and tested (did I say tested? I must have been dreaming) before paint is applied. Ok, its a combination of thrown onto the engine with a great big dirty brush. The odd fancy factory had a spray gun and sprayed everything, even the shipping case they were sat on. The floors in these places are filthy, dust is always blowing around and people run the gauntlet between spinning flywheels and lunatics driving small trucks through the place.

My experience with GTC and Anand has been good, it has not been good with Lovson who buy from Anand. The main supplier to all these people are Field Marshall. Forget contacting them, they dont like responding to western people and prefer to deal with the home market. They didnt return my call even while in the country. I guess I need a name change.

It is a simple question to answer. The Indians are not really interested in us and there is no compelling reason for them to tool up, build with higher grade parts and casting, only to be left with engines they cant sell anywhere else. EPA is another reason why they are not keen on doing other builds. These engine wont pass EPA in a fit.

From our prespective, we want high quality engines, we are preapred to pay extra for this. We must accpet we are a small market in the eyes of the Indians than any other of their customers. Therefore if we insist on the best, most people wont like the price tag that comes with genuinely high quality engines. A new genuine CS Lister today I think would cost 5,000USD easy. How many will place an order now?

We must be reasonable and either build ourselves with sourced parts, or accept the problems and fix it ourselves which means buying parts anway. I see the key is getting good castings.

I looked at the Kirolstar engines too and was much more impressed with those. It is not based on any single Petter design, but two. aluminium pistons, gear oil pump and an easy starting engine. The casting quality is far far better and it runs pretty smooth. Most of the extras we want on the CS engine is there, oil pressure switch, electric start, alternator and so on. Some petter spares fit these engines and even the genuine parts are far cheaper than the original CS parts. It is also easier to get high grade parts for that engine. In my workshop, it will have a twin cylinder Kirlostar engine and not a twin CS clone.

Finally, I visitied our Chinese friends and saw the ST and SD heads being built. China was my first stop on this trip and it was not my first time there and knew what to expect. It is a world apart from India. The facories are spotlessly clean, highly organised and motovated work force who take pride in their work. The heads wwre built to an exact spec at every point on the line. QC was everywhere to be seen. Computer controlled machines for dynamically balancing the rotors, slots milled via CNC. It was a joy to behold. How the hell they make money on this stuff is amazing, but when you see the trucks coming to take load after load you get the idea, make a few bucks on each one rather than screw the guy.

There is only one part of the design I could critise, the slip rings are neevr checked for run out. I have one here I brought back and its a few thou out. No biggie but enough to cause the brushes to hop a touch. A simple 60 second skim on the lather and its sorted. The Indians have gen heads too but are very costly. They make a more modern type of head and is modelled on a current European brushless/self exciting head and has higher grades of insulation and SAE type coupling. They are good quality though.

I was not allowed ot take pictures so I hope my description gives you all some idea on what it was like. It opened my eyes and closed my wallet. Oh nearly forgot. Buying a kit engine is a big problem for the Indians. They get tax breaks by building engines and if you wish to buy a kit (which is available) it will cost more than a fully built engine because you have prevented them from getting the tax break. Only fair you make up their loss of earning. One way to ensure they wont screw your engine, is ask for it NOT to be started at all. Then we you get it imported you just swop out the parts and not have scored cranks and wrecked cams. You will get some strange looks/emails as I did when I asked for this. But they will do it for you no problemo.

Westerners are such strange people ;)

Emerald

P.S ALL Indian Taper Roller Bearings are junk, toss em out and replace with quality US/EU manufactured. Same goes for the Chinese bearings in ST heads.

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 04:51:46 PM »
Will someone else sandblast the paint off your engine (many flywheels look like swiss cheese) and PLEASE prove me wrong.

I removed the paint from a flywheel on my 1999 GG Automotive 8/1.  No filler at all.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »
Disclaimer: I’ve only seen and tore down one engine, mine, a PowerSolutions 6/1. It only has 20-25 hours on it but will be put into real service soon. I’m taking my time with it and being as careful as I can to get as many hours out of it as possible. I’m doing that because I read the horror stories before and after I made my purchase. That’s part of why I tore it down to the last nut and bolt.

Most of the tear down was unnecessary. It had no major/unexpected issues. Some of the issues could have been caused by me and a relative lack of experience compared to some of you. Yes, I had to fix a few things. There was a piece of crud in the big end when the Indians ran it. Tappets off .005 I had to ask a lot of questions. Remember the Gib Key, I just had to see those TRBs. They were fine. I don’t know how long ABC TRBs would have lasted though. My Timken’s should be in tomorrow.

Guts before I ran it. (with camera flash)

Cylinder Before I ran it.

Upper Con Rod (with camera flash)

Maybe I was lucky. Maybe George/Joel got it right. The PS brand/rebrand is still fairly new. From a primarily visual standpoint my engine is at least OK, maybe even better than that.

Check back with me in a year and I’ll be able to give much more than a visual report.

Thanks, Geno

And I'm sorry to hear that anybody got scewed. For the most part you guys seem OK  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 06:22:38 PM by Geno »

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 08:29:27 PM »
EXCELLENT posts from all of you!

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 08:35:49 PM »
The title of this post is "ARE THESE GUYS MISSING IT?"

I posted yes. Here is why.

We are a fairly smart bunch, and as such it is possible that one of us could take said products and run with it. If the quality were better, there could be no end to the possibilities. Importation of engines is certainly one way to make money. But, I suppose my point is that one of us could use the manufacturing expertise of a Lister maker to make bigger and better things. Florida is ripe for gensets. Slow speed diesel engines make some sense. ETC!

These guys have missed out on the American opportunity!

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence