Author Topic: Casting Sand and Cracked Block on my GTC brand engine!  (Read 52509 times)

guest161

Re: Casting Sand and Cracked Block on my GTC brand engine!
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2006, 04:08:35 PM »
Procrustes was not spouting off. He was rephrasing the point in his understanding.

Fact checking behooves everyone. I would be hard pressed to explain ALL that went on for the last decade in political terms and I lived through and watched the events unfold.

I wonder if the person in the front row of this handbasket has a better understanding of events because of his view.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2006, 05:31:27 PM »
Procrustes,
You really need to get your facts straight before you spout off like that…it makes you sound like some idiot goofball..which I'm sure you are not.  Start with a few details… check the facts then get back with us on what you find.
Joe

Again, Joe, you're not making an argument, you're insulting me and telling me I'm out of line.   Why don't you tell me how I'm wrong instead?  I'll assume you can't until you prove otherwise.  The same goes for the other place you said this.  I'm waiting.

wldhoss

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2006, 06:52:35 PM »
The USAis the greatist democracy in the world where our president is elected by 25% of the registered voters of the country.  A man with a estimated IQ of 91.  Makes you wonder!
www.lovenstein.org/report/

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2006, 07:06:57 PM »
The USAis the greatist democracy in the world where our president is elected by 25% of the registered voters of the country.  A man with a estimated IQ of 91.  Makes you wonder!

One thing that jumped out at me was this:

105   Ronald W. Reagan (R)
   98   George H. W. Bush (R)

I don't see how Reagan could be smarter than HW Bush.  Bush Sr. set himself apart in several fields, from Air Force pilot to student to executive to politician.  Reagan never pretended to be intelligent; he was the quintessential 'moral compass' or 'instincts' type.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »

from that lovenstein page, there is a quote on the right, I just burst out laughing

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
George W. Bush

8-5-2004
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2006, 12:37:23 AM »

One thing that jumped out at me was this:

105   Ronald W. Reagan (R)
   98   George H. W. Bush (R)

I don't see how Reagan could be smarter than HW Bush.  Bush Sr. set himself apart in several fields, from Air Force pilot to student to executive to politician.  Reagan never pretended to be intelligent; he was the quintessential 'moral compass' or 'instincts' type.

"Estimated," by whom?

Dubya did finish higher in his class, from the same school, as Kerry and Dean.....  Both of whom scooted out in the lower 20%....  Dubya was in the upper 80%....

"Estimated" IQs aren't as good as the real thing, eh?  I guess facts wouldn't get much attention from the press tho....

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2006, 02:05:31 AM »
you know guys we have a members area, politics should go there, not here in the Cracked block thread... hen everyone can either participate in US election stuff or avoid it
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2006, 02:15:56 AM »
Yeah!
How 'bout that cracked bock-head that ran for office... ;D
'sorry'
I know that Detroit Diesel Rebuild West ( in tuelly (sp) Utah) allows weld repair in the side of series 60 blocks, as long as they are not larger than fist size.
Welding the block requires preheat and post heat over a period of time, but it would not be too tough, maybe use the barbeque? With a large 'tinfoil hat'!? ('sorry' again)
I wonder if these engines are cast in scrap steel from ship breaking? If they are, they may be more weldable than we would ordinarily think?
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Doug

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2006, 02:47:28 AM »
I don't know about that, but the high levels of tramp metals might cause problems in casting so this may lead to other repair problems.
Doug

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2006, 03:14:56 AM »

India is an atomic power.  They CAN do good work.  The question becomes WHY is that technology and pride in accomplishment that naturally occurs when that level of advancement has taken place flowed over into the civilian marketplace as it did in other countries?
  The answer to those questions are  way above my education and pay grade.

East Indian Nuclear Power plants area 1960's design Canadian AECL designed and built Heavy Water Candu 200MW. India has build more since nuclear units on thier own via copying the AECL design.

Doug

« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2006, 03:25:08 AM »
Did we not also sell them a reactor before that....

For peaceful purposes.....

That they made plutonium with.....

Doug
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:42:15 AM by Doug »

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2006, 03:40:01 AM »
  I had the understanding the East Indians extracted the left over .5% plutonium form the burned out natural uranium fuel pellets. The Candu's are somewhat of a breeder reactor and make plutonium which then fissions to also produce heat. .5% PU is about max as it then gets burned off as fast as it's produced.
  The same 390 tube core makes 540MW at Pickering A. Just higher flux density, hight heat transport flow and larger boilers.   

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2006, 04:18:23 AM »
I don't know about that, but the high levels of tramp metals might cause problems in casting so this may lead to other repair problems.
Doug
I did a balance job on a Vidhada 6/1. I drilled, I mean I tried to drill and tap some holes to hold weights on the rim of the Flywheels. I ended up having to use a carbide drill and tap on a couple of the holes...I think I hit a ball bearing of something. I barely got them in without breaking anything...so yes high levels of tramp metals will cause problems in casting!
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »
Wow!

I did not understand the language barrier you spoke of. Now I do.

Guy, I have traveled the world and never have I experienced what you speak of. But I do know you are right, every culture has it's thing.

Here in the Uk I can go to a butcher and ask for a joint, go to a newsagent and ask for some fags, and if I say some woman has a nice fanny I'm talking about camel toes and not asses, which are donkeys...

etc

Yes, I think most of accept that the British are just weird. ;D   I read instructions in my Petter manual to clean engine parts with paraffin.  My brain gets sore trying to figure out why rubbing the parts with candle wax would be preferable to washing them in a liquid, hydrocarbon based solvent?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion