Author Topic: Where are you calling from?  (Read 7804 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Where are you calling from?
« on: December 22, 2005, 12:09:52 AM »
Well it seems that somehow the General area and this thread got deleted, so I thought I start it again, here were most of the action seems to be.  You know the Drill

Who :  T19 - Andrew - Canadian
Where : Living In Ottawa, well Navan actually
What :  Ex Armoured Tanker, now computer geek, looking to protect family from the power faileurs we get
How :  Looked at gas, natural gas engines, and then Chinese Diesels.... Now I have focused on getting a LISTOID, not sure if it will be a 12/2 or 10/1

Like hockey (what else is new) like guns (so un Canadian) and love my new ski-doo
I want to eventually move to a new home, off grid, and hope to have my own Lister by the Spring... come on you can't do much with the snow!!!!

cheers

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Where are you calling from?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:54:16 AM »

Who:  Hotater
Where: S. Idaho USA
What:  Gunmaker, engraver, machinist, and a good guy.  ::)
How:  I moved off grid to a facility run by big Onan diesels at 3 gallons an hour...The Lister came naturally after that.

I found a Listeroid on ebay while nearly buying one of the Detroit RR gensets.  Thank goodness I didn't...just heard one run.
It's easy to read more about me and Magic Hot Springs at uttterpower.com.  You should go there to learn about engines whether you read my stuff or not!    ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

WWIProps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:16:35 AM »
Hotater,

Did you get yours from Charlie in Maine?

Reno Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 03:22:52 AM »
Who :  Reno Speedster - Morgan - American
Where : Hazen Nevada (45 min east of Reno)
What : Ph.D. Student in Histroical Archaeology / Ex gunstore owner
How : Saw a listeroid on George's site and fell in love with them, bought an Ashwamegh 6/1 to provide power to my off grid 40 acres

Like American western guns (collect some Colt SAAs and lever action Winchesters, Sharps and Spencers).  I bought my spread in rural Nevada so I would not have to look at the neighbors and would have someplace to shoot whenever I want.  I also collect / rebuild Model T Ford "Speedster's" (the origional American hot rod and the basis of stock car racing in America).  My dad was a machinest and an industrail arts teacher/ gunsmith/ hand engraver/ and world class craftsman in silver, gold, ivory and wood so, I grew up in shops working on nifty old things.  I love old machinery and old technology so the Lister types fit me to a T.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:51:43 AM »
Props--

I got Joel in Oregon interested in this place, where the Listeroid would run more than half the day every day and suckered him into coming down to look at it with the engine in the back.

The engine was one of those 'eggs left in the carton after you've just broken a rotten one'  things.
  It took a while to convince  him I WANTED a bad one I could fix it 'my way'.  Then it took a while to convince him to sell it....., so he took it out of the 'anchor pile' and brought it to me.

Joel is the only guy I know that can eat a yard of fish sticks.   ;D ;D
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

quinnf

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 04:04:22 AM »
Who:  quinnf (Quinn) - typical midwestern farm boy dropped through space/time wormhole, born and raised 1/4 mile from from the beach in southern California.
Where:   Near Irvine, CA, between LA and San Diego
What:  R&D Chemist, Pharmaceuticals (yes, the legal kind)
How:  Like Hotater, my dad taught industrial arts, math, science.  One of those stuck.  On teacher's pay, Dad had to build and fix everything himself.  Guess who was tapped to hand him tools?  :P   Tore apart/worked on lots of motorcycles/marine engines/cars/ anything that moves. Like guns, too. 
Listeroid is kinetic sculpture, plain and simple.  Anyone not fascinated by seeing, hearing and smelling one run has something wrong with him.   
When:  About 9 mos. after I found Utterpower.com (i.e. last April) I sent George a check.  Then another for an ST-5.  My Ashwamegh 6/1 is the sibling to RenoSpeedster's 'roid.  I have #204, and he has #203.
Why:  Was surfing alternative energy sites when I ran across a link to utterpower.com  It took a while, but I fully explored it, every nook and cranny.  Engine looked like an old Hicks I saw once.  I was smitten.  Rationalization for getting one is that we have power failures here a lot.  Utility put row of power poles on the outside of a turn in Laguna Canyon to which cars are attracted like a moth to a candle flame.  Utility keeps a stack of spare poles on the ground nearby.  Power outages occur monthly, more frequent in winter when trees touch the power lines.  Doesn't pay to reset the VCR clock 12:00  12:00  12:00   So my 'roid is for emergency back up power, or so I keep telling myself!  Biodiesel is fun to play with too!  Better living through Chemistry!

Hope to retire some day and live off-grid in SE Alaska or somewhere in the Northwest where there are real trees (we have Eucalyptus) and seasons.  Blue skies get sooo boring! 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 06:01:24 AM by quinnf »

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 04:18:25 AM »
Who :  rocket - Troy - Wisconsin
Where : Northern Wisconsin
What :  Computer programmer, former semipro baseball player, organic farmer, and survivalist, working on building lister cs gensets
How :  have a a-marc twin cylinder marine diesel genset, made a chinese changfa genset and ran it for a while, and now appretiate the lister cs... ok.... love the lister cs.

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 04:35:49 AM »
Who: SHIPCHIEF, Scott E

What: Marine Engineer, son of a poor Idaho boy that went in the navy in WWII and was damage control on a destroyer and a mine sweeper. Later was an Oregon Duck and a Boeing Tool engineer. I just naturally was interested in anything that moved under it's own power. Doesn't matter how big or how little it is. I became a marine engineer because the local school district has a marine technology program. Did I mention I liked things that move under their own power? So it was Marine transportation, instead of marine biology for me. I'm a marine engineer now. Not many steamships left, so I work diesel now. Eagle Scout, dad, airplane pilot, building an RV-8 plane, rebuild motorcycles, boats, old bronco, fix tube radios, yadayada.
Where: Western Washington
Why:  I was looking for another boat, when it hit me! I just wanted the engine room, I didn't want the whole boat! I forget how I first got in contact with George B, maybe I saw a Listeroid on ebay? Anyway, after I visited George, I was bit. He's been a good friend, who lives across town, so I get to see what he's up to every now and then.
 So about the engine: It's supposed to be backup power for our acreage in 'Big Bottom' but right now it's set up in the garage for house backup power, we just haven't had any power failures since
I got it. I've been dinkin' around with it trying to get it to run smoother, better, and to keep the belt on the Allman pulley. There have been plenty of chances to redo things, and now that I discovered that my engine is an imported sand box, I'd say I've got my work cut out for me....It/'s an Ashwamegh 25/2 with an ST 15Kw head. I like it because it looks like an old marine engine, maybe an improved Easthope or something, anyway, if your reading this post then you know.....
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

quinnf

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:18:15 AM »
Let's see, so we couple the crankshafts of 6 6/1s or 3 12/2s together and it WOULD look like a marine engine out of the '30s.  Gotta paint it gray, though!   ;)

robc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 11:04:10 PM »
Who?       Rob

What?      Ex farmer, ex sales

Where?    Ottawa Valley, Ontario

Why?       The Ontario government appealed to the public 23 times last summer to reduce electric
               consumption and the utilities reduced voltage on several days.  The problem will only get
               worse before it gets better. 

How?       Got looking online for a generator due to increasing power shortages here in Ontario
               and soon stumbled across UtterPower... which led me to John Ferguson at woodnstuff.ca
               who is practically a neighbour.   Once I met John and saw his setup I ordered a 6/1 and ST
               head from him on the spot.

When?     I just went and uncrated the engine at John's yesterday!  After Christmas we'll tear it down
               and have a good look...  I'll learn the basics from him as John can do it in his sleep!

Renovation of my engine shed is a bit slowed up by Christmas but I hope to have the engine
               in and running by mid January.  I told T-19 he could have the honour of being the first to
               spin the crank once it's in!

Merry Christmas to all!

Rob
PS 10/1 Listeroid
78 Dodge 150 Diesel
Cogito, ergo Listeroid

rp48

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 07:48:04 PM »

Who   rp48    Ron P

Where   Brockport, N Y..... about 25 miles west of Rochester

How   Got interested in small diesels from viewing the wealth of info at utterpower.com. Have collected & restored antique gasoline engines for approx. 25 yrs. now. Bought my 6/1 & a 5kw gen. head from George nearly 2 yrs. ago. It's now in a dedicated shed ready to go in the next power outage.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 08:29:11 PM »
Who:  Bruce McCreary  BruceM  Retired (disabled) EE with background in R&D management, product development. Flight simulation, fiber optic helmet displays, avionics (Air Force AFHRL/OTE, McDonnel Douglas Helicopter), microprocessor development tools (ICE, bus analyzers, Motorola).  I enjoy some woodworking in my air powered wood shop, and sailing in my West Wight Potter sailboat (Wight Away) in the Whitel Mountain lakes nearby.  I do disability engineering voluteer work for a local non-profit.

Where:
 Building a new way off grid homestead half an hour from my present home outside Snowflake, AZ.  The Lister 6/1 will be pumping water, providing power and compressed air for my shop.  My genshed "The House of Lister" is almost complete and the Lister will be moving in shortly.

How:
Found out about Listers at Utterpower when web searching for a "low rpm" solution to a generator solution for my off grid homesite.  I have MS and epilepsy, the latter aggravated by some sounds.  3600 rpms sets are excruciating, even 1800 rpm gensets bother me badly, and when I learned of 650 rpm Listers, I was hooked. I was already a diesel fan;  I drive an '85 Merecedes 300D which I've restored.  I am just plain thrilled with the lovely sound of the Lister. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:52:23 PM by BruceM »

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 03:00:07 AM »
Who Thomas Tallant
Were near Portland Oregon  Lived in Kent Wash from 1954 to 69
Am now retierd and looking to bild a small place out of the way to hunt and fish from and just dissaper to..

Thanking about a 25/ 15 kw  and a smaller one to take to the cabin.

Thomas

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 05:44:56 PM »
Who: Tom - Tom Reed
Where: Hopland, CA - 10 min from Real Goods
What: Small Business owner/Software developer
How: Some mainaic went and posted about listers on Timebomb2000  :) and I was bit.

I've worked with a lot of Onan & Kohler RV gensets and had a 6.3 KW Onan LP for backup at the old ranch and wow could that thing suck the fuel. With LP at 2.60 per gal it could cost $4.00 per hour to run (and we ran a lot).

Now we're building an off grid homestead and I bought the Lister for construction power and then backup power after the house is built. I plan to try WVO and Biodiesel in my system.

My Ashwamegh 6/1 is the sibling to RenoSpeedsters and Quinfs 'roids #217.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.