Puppeteer

Author Topic: SR3 oil pressure and starter questions  (Read 16087 times)

M61hops

• View Profile
Re: SR3 oil pressure and starter questions
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:43 AM »
Hi millman56.  Yes, starters that don't have linkage where the solonoid throws the pinion gear into the ring gear have those curved splines.  The inertia of the pinion gear assembly slides it into the ring gear when the armature first starts to rotate.  Both types work best when clean and lightly lubricated, I like to use WD-40 for this.  Both types will sound like they are stripping teeth when the one way clutch for the pinion goes bad, but that noise is usually just the parts in the clutch breaking  :(.  On my Listeroid the weakest starter part was my lower back, no matter how much lubricant (beer) was tried, cranking with the handel is not practical  :'(.              Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

millman56

• View Profile
Re: SR3 oil pressure and starter questions
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »
Hi M61hops,      The ones I am thinkig of are the CAV type where the whole armature moves forward into the field and rotates as the starter is energised, these have a spring pre-loaded pinion on a helix which eases it into mesh, another spring returns the armature when de-energised.    I am familiar with the inertia types as I have a couple on ST1s , this type used to be very popular over here in the 60s and 70s. 

Beer as a cold starting aid????  Did no one tell you?  Its got to be blended whiskey as a minimum  ;D

Mark.