Author Topic: our kiss program for a starter on our 10/1  (Read 27052 times)

overbore

• View Profile
Re: our kiss program for a starter on our 10/1
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
REPLY #22  PHOTO ABOVE SHOWS EXACTLY WHAT WAS IN MY BOX.
This is well designed and heavily constructed unit that shouts DURABLE from any angle,  ;D ;D ;D ;D The mounting ears are about 3 1/2" (outside) apart. The mounting hole(s) are going to be slightly enlarged   to allow a Grade 5 mounting bolt for a single pivot mount.  My arc welder is about 100 feet from the Roid so a weld up is not in the cards but a sliding slot will be made in the 6" base I beam to allow for small  horizontal adjustments before it is bolted tight.  I have the starter push button on hand and my Dodge diesel "donated" older starting batteries for a great power supply of many amps.  This is a huge positive improvement for our units.

Laus Deo
overbore

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
3 July update: suggested slight mods:
\Hunter (rattle can ) Green to approximate Lister green and a Zerk fitting on the shaft end boss if you do not trust "oiling around" the unit.  How else can I say five stars
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D???i. To order yours, contact Tony Coenradi, 888-595-1110 or snail mail at 200 Davis Creek, Salma, OR, 97538. He is great guy and his starter is superb! 
E-buy is the source I used for my relay and starter button with leads.  Well done, Tony  aka The Flying Dutchman.

Laus Deo
overbore

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
MOUNTING THE STARTER:

Since there is no info on how to mount the starter, I will paint a verbal picture as grandkids adjusted my video from operating to just above junk  :(.
Materials:
One 8" grade 8 SS bolt X 1/2"
Three nuts and three washers
One 3"X4"X 3/8" scrap angle iron.
4 3/8 angle iron attaching bolts, 1"long and nuts and washers

My base frame is 4" wide X 6" tall so I cut the angle about 7 1/2" long to fit between the oil vent/fill side of the engine and the rear of the gen head adjusting frame. The angle nearest the foot of the engine was cut at a 45 degree angle to clear the engine's foot..

The general plan is to mount the starter motor so the arms are down resting on the grade 8 bolt. A 1/2" hole is drilled into the vertical 3" face of the angle iron.  I then milled the hole vertically about 3/8" up and down to allow for adjustment.

Place one washer on the 8" bolt, extend it fully through the arms and into the slot milled in the 3" face with a washer and nut bearing against the outside face of the angle and then one washer and nut on the inside of the angle.  Move the plate outboard/ inboard as required to a semifinal position making certain that the small bolts  holding the adapter nose on the starter clear the side of the Listeroid flywheel. Clamp the angle onto the large engine frame and readjust as necessary. I used two small C clamps to hold the angle while adjusuting and marking.

Manually crank it over to verify contact and clearances then drill the securing holes through the angle and engine frame.  Tighten and recheck and you are ready to hook electrics and lever arm.  It is a great unit that is simple and reliable.  I highly recommend Tony's unit as a reliable  easy install accessory.

Laus Deo
overbore

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:06 PM »

Good afternoon gentlemen;
Re: the friction starter from Selmaswap.
 I ordered one some time ago. It arrived some time ago as well,  looked like a simple and robust unit. I was too busy to do anything with it, so there it sat in my shop. I really have not used the "roid very much........we're off-grid here, plenty of solar in the summer and not all that much need for the generator (Utterpower PMG which works as advertised).
Fall is coming,  with the cloudy days ahead in the Pacific Northwest. A few days ago, figured it was time to do something about the starter, I don't have any welding equipment to fab up a starter mount, but do have some 3" heavy channel aluminum left over from solar panel mounts. Prefect fit into the starter mounting ears. Got it all bolted up and tried a test run this morning........don't have the solenoid, start switch wired up yet so jury rigged a battery hook-up.
Hot Damn! works great......just have to engage the flywheel BEFORE powering up the starter.......otherwise, lots of rubber smoke.
This starter is a simple way to eliminate the hand cranking.........easy in warm weather, really difficult in cold weather for a geezer like myself and impossible for my wife.
Well worth the modest cost. , I may order another for use on another engine I'm buying.
Well done guys, I hope you sell a bunch of these. 

Cheers, Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 05:22:56 AM »
Hi Hugh, how about a pix? It would give other people an idea on how to mount the rs.

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
MOUNTING: See my post above as I set our the specific easy steps using a 8" bolt and nut(s). Fast easy, works and cheap while the starter is superb. 
overbore
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:51:16 PM by overbore »

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
If you can not locate a proper bolt, I will send you one for the postage; advise, please.
overbore

Tassie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
Hi all
I’m new to the forum and hit the jackpot when I discovered this topic. Apologies for reactivating. I realise I’m about five years late to the party but can anyone tell me if the starter kit is still available please? I need this for all the reasons already stated by everyone.
I’m in Australia and will not have the same range of GM starters that you do nor can I source the neoprene wheels here. So appreciate some assistance please.
Thanks and regards
Ashwamegh 8/1
Ruston and Hornsby 1VTH 7.5hp

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »
A wide range of motors have been used for friction drive starters, from induction motors to battery powered electric drills or brushed 12V starter motors to Gast 2AM, 4AM, 6AM air motors.  A Vee belt on the flywheel have also been used. I think no one has reported failure. If you must use a hard rubber wheel, more force will be required so an outboard bearing would be a good idea. 

I have been using a Gast 4AM motor with a small air cylinder for engagement on my remote start Listeroid 6/1.

Find a handy motor and have at it!

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
Hello Tassie
The starter motor/ friction starter on my listeroid has not been used for a couple of years. It is still mounted and ready to use though. We installed a 12V golf cart starter/generator belted up the the off side flywheel. This installation has been working  fine for the last 2 years. More expensive for the parts, but easier to operate.
Turn the switch and watch it go. With the friction starter, we sometimes had problems with cold weather starting as mist would freeze on the flywheel........not much use then! Probably that would not be an issue for you there in OZ!
Both methods worked, just that the starter/generator works better in my situation.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Tassie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:23 PM »
Thanks Bruce and Hugh. This has given me more insight as to the options available. More than I had thought. Unfortunately Hugh, I am in a part of OZ where the moisture thing will be a problem. I’m in the cold climate part of the country where winter snow and ice are the norm. Moisture on the flywheel will definitely be an issue at times.
So thanks again for putting me in the right direction. My Listeroid adventure has only just begun.
Ashwamegh 8/1
Ruston and Hornsby 1VTH 7.5hp

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »
Good advice, Hugh.  A small rubber roller on a wet flywheel isn't going to get much friction. I have real winters here at 5600 feet elevation in AZ, but I have a dedicated shed for the Listeroid and it stays dry. 

The 12v starter/charger is a elegantly simple solution, regardless of moisture issues.

nato1624

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2019, 12:20:56 PM »
Hey sorry to restart the post but I am absolutely after the full setup for the electric starter for the CS as we have one but its sometimes rather hard to start and would be much more beneficial to have this electric start shipped to Australia? selmawp can you send me a quote or a reply on how much it would cost to get it shipped to Australia?

selmawp

• When I was young and full off??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
Hi, would love to be able help you, but just finished cleaning my shop and don't have enough parts to make one.