Author Topic: "Genuine Lister Stationary Diesel Engine" on Ebay  (Read 6034 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: "Genuine Lister Stationary Diesel Engine" on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:16:06 AM »
Looks like a hybrid, perhaps not exactly genuine anymore? Seems to be priced right if it was actually fully rebuilt and not just "patched-up" to run. Appears to be a good job!

<<edit>> <<No offense intended to the seller! There is obviously a wide latitude of possibilities used for the current definition of "rebuilt" and also "genuine", my comments intended only to spark this clarification of details.>>

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:46:09 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Flparishesnative

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »
Which gen set would you put on this? How much power would it create and how much can a gen set be purchased for to make this a backup power set up for a home?  Any suggestions?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
This particular post is for a 6/1, I believe the OP also has 8/1 model/s available.

The general rule of thumb on these is 3kW output on the 6/1 and 4kW for the 8/1. Most folks use a 5kW Chinese ST head for these models as there is no real penalty spinning a larger head than what is strictly needed. Many use automotive or industrial serpentine type belts with these and appropriate pulleys are available.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Flparishesnative

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
Thanks!

DocDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:51:34 PM »
I would think my money would be better spent purchasing that sharp NEW 12/2 Listeroid for $600 more, rather than a 6/1 put together from parts...  Doc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12-2-Listeroid-Diesel-Jkson-with-many-upgrades-spare-parts-Lister-Engine-/330902843881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0b58b1e9

ses

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Please remark:
I have a genuine lister 6 to 1 SOM (with the heavy flywheels) available as well. The previous owner told me he got one of the last "Lister" replacement cylinders available when he rebuilt it. I am asking the same price ($3500). It has the original cast base also.

If I had heard anyone down-talk the replacement Indian parts I would have considered paying a minimum of twice the cost to keep it "all original" to preclude the notion that it was a "hybrid."

My understanding of the Indian failing is that they systematically, if not merely historically, botch their cast work without any consistency (sand in the case, need for major re-balancing of flywheels etc.).

Thus, correct me if I am wrong, their is a very real need/desire for an Original 20th century Lister beyond the reminiscing for originality. Quality replacement parts can repeatedly be fitted to a trusted framework (crank case and flywheels).

Ultimately, half my advert doesn't need to discuss balance work accomplished...not to suggest any engine couldn't use fine balancing.

I am considering bringing back a few "cores" as well for the individual who wants to rebuild from original. Please PM or write me to discuss.

Thanks
ses

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »
If I had heard anyone down-talk the replacement Indian parts I would have considered paying a minimum of twice the cost to keep it "all original" to preclude the notion that it was a "hybrid."
Thus, correct me if I am wrong, their is a very real need/desire for an Original 20th century Lister beyond the reminiscing for originality.

Quite correct! Unfortunately the availability of genuine Lister CS spares is ever diminishing, with an ever greater number of persons chasing genuine parts. Therefore unless money is no object Indian sourced parts are the only option available to most restorers.