Puppeteer

Author Topic: trying to identify motor  (Read 6902 times)

Jpike

• View Profile
trying to identify motor
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:29:38 PM »
Greetings folks.  I live in Newfoundland Canada and recently purchased an old Newfoundland "Punt".  Its a 21ft motorboat powered by this 2 cylinder Air Cooled Lister engine.  Since I purchased it the weather has been crap, and I havent had the chance to tear the dog house off the boat to identify the model.  The previous owner showed the motor was running, but he too was unsure of the model.  Can anyone identify the model for me?  Also, is there anyone who can tell me the specs on the motor?  I made an attempt to fine one like it here on this site, but couldnt match it with anything i seen.

REGARDS
jamie

millman56

• View Profile
Re: trying to identify motor
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 08:18:35 PM »
Jamie,  it could be 1 of 4, all virtually identical from outside appearances,   LD2, LR2, SR2, SL2.

Mark.

Jpike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
Hello Mark,

thanks for the help.  is there any way to tell the difference?  like i said i havent tried th=o really look the motor over yet due to the weather.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:12:29 PM »
Jamie,     the  ID plate is normally mounted on the inj pump cover this is the flat plate 1/2 way down on the right hand side of the engine when looking at photo no2, if this is missing the same no is stamped on the flywheel, this may not be visible with it in situ. I think the SR2 has larger in and ex manifolds than the others.

Mark.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:24:14 AM by millman56 »

Jpike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12:25 PM »
thanks again mark.  lets hope for some nice weather ofer the weekend.  how is the reliability of these engines?  is it hard to fine spare parts?  hard to maintain?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 12:54:55 AM »
If it is indeed an SR2 as it appears, all parts are available... if LD/SL or LR then somewhat less availability but still generally serviceable. All reliable long-lived engines. Look for parts stocks at http://diesel-electric.us.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:39:10 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Jpike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
is there a specific kind of oil to use in the engine?  what about the transmission?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 02:22:58 AM »
It is a twin diesel, so use 15-40 unless you are starting in a very cold climate. The gearbox will likely take a fairly standard gear lube, but what make is it?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Jpike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:45:28 AM »
Ill know this week.  the weather is supposed to get much more civil and Ill have a chance to tear off the old dog house to see the make/model of the motor.

millman56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »
Looking closely at the photos the inlet manifold appears to be quite bulbous and made of alluminium, this would point to it being an SR2, also the Lucas starter motor is missing the pre-engaged solenoid body, these are widely available here in the UK not sure about Canada though.       For specs and drawings of this and most of the Lister  engine range Google "Realdiesels" or "Marine engine data".

Mark.

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
 Hi, where in nl are you. I am in gander. I was looking for a 12-2 if you seen anything. I have a 6-1 now. Thanks Lister Rob.

Jpike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »
thanks for all the info so far guys.  hoping to get at it this week.  i removed the old dog house the other day, but ran out of daylight.  i downloaded and printed off a lister engine manual as well.  i also found a place that sells rebuild kits (if needed).  im hoping to try and fire the engine up tomorrow or the next day and hear it purr...or make noise!  great site so far, and i appreciat the information!  ill post progress pics soon!