Puppeteer

Author Topic: Anybody come across unusual CS 3-1 lister engine configuations  (Read 2860 times)

harrone

• View Profile
I recently purchased a sad looking CS 3-1 from a swap meet. The first thing that caught my attention was the placement of the fuel filter, attached to the side of the head rather than the barrel and the importer/distributor plaque riveted to the side of the value cover. The fuel pipe from the filter to the pump was, of course, twice the normal length, with banjo connectors at both ends. Going by the Serial number CS 8989 it was built in 1933 which I'm told was the first year of production of the CS 3-1's. Is it possible that Lister experimented with the placement of the fuel filter in 1933? It also has a thick plan steel oil filler lid instead of those cast iron ones with the "K" on them. It also has a matched pair of flywheels with a different serial number, IE. CS 12243 from 1934

What I forgot to mention is that the fuel filter wasn't just put there by a previous owner. When I unbolted it from the head, it exposed two large circular water jacket holes, so the fuel filter was definitely meant to be there as the cast iron holding bracket forms part of the water jacket of the head assembly.   

I also have a 1940 CS 3-1 that looks normal so I know the difference

Cheers

Mark
1933 CS 3-1, 1940 CS 3-1
1946 Alfa Austral R&T 2hp
1928 Hercules Economy 2.5hp

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Anybody come across unusual CS 3-1 lister engine configuations
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:55:46 AM »
The earliest 3/1s had a lever to operate the COV.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

silvertop

• View Profile
Re: Anybody come across unusual CS 3-1 lister engine configuations
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 11:18:54 PM »
I appreciate this is a very old thread, but I'll take a chance.

I have just purchased, but not yet picked up, a Lister CS 3/1 with serial number CS 9064 and Spec number 208/2.  It would appear the build date was likely 1933. The 3/1's were first built in 1933.

It also has the fuel filter mounted on the side of the head as described by Mark (above).

The COV handle is bakerlite typical of the early CS listers.

The previous owner advises the engine runs well and it looks to be in good condition for its age. It was used to run a small alternator since 1965.

Does anyone have any info on the head mounted fuel filter?