Alternative fuels > Straight Vegetable Oil

I finally am generating AC on SVO

(1/4) > >>

Stevels:
 ;D
I Just wanted to share the excitement with the forum.  While far from finished with my project, I did have an important milestone today.  I ran a large, 220v air conditioner from my Listeroid using straight Vegetable oil. 

I am still working on the vibration dampening and exhaust system, as well as basically every other system too, but for the first time, actually ran this big AC with 100% straight VO.  I ran for about an hour!  I posted a little MPG of the proof of concept milestone.
AC running on SVO

kyradawg:

Peace&Love :D, Darren

binnie:
Stevels,
Is there some reasoning as to why you have the coolant running with a Taco pump in the opposite direction to the rest of us? Or am I just seeing things wrong? Syphon works the other way round.
Sounds good and looks good. Congratulations, binnie.

binnie:
Stevels,
Another ques. I suppose the gen head can run in either direction but with the placement behind the engine, and it belted to the cranking flywheel instead of to the free flywheel, it must be a bitch to crank. Is there any reasoning as to why you put the genhead on this side instead of the other? I know Rocket boy set his up this way as he was cramped for space & used the wall for his muffler system. But just wondering. My 12/2 arrives on Wed. and I am also trying to figure things out. binnie

Stevels:
“Is there some reasoning as to why you have the coolant running with a Taco pump in the opposite direction to the rest of us? Or am I just seeing things wrong? Syphon works the other way round.”

Hi Binnie,

Good question.  This was a point of a bunch of consideration.  After weighing several possible plans, I decided to actively NOT use thermosyphon on this design because of my plans on harnessing the waste heat from the engine to heat my house.  I will fabricate a car radiator as a summer cooling system to replace the barrel completely, but in the winter, I will pipe the coolant into the house and feed it into a water to air heat exchanger.  With this said, I need an active water pump system to push water through the radiator and heat exchanger.

Since I have not gone to the junkyard yet to get a radiator, I used one of my 55 gallon WVO filtering barrels as a temporary cooling system – just to test the proof of concept.  I am breaking all the laws of thermosyphoning, but a Taco pump trumps thermosyphon laws any day!  (notice the Taco's Hunter Green paint job?)

As for the placement of the gen head, I too was inspired by RocketBoy’s design, and plan on setting my system up against the back, corner garage wall – using the wall for my electric box and exhaust system.  After looking at the placement of all the important components, setting up the system with this orientation made complete sense. Additionally, I find that there would be no difference between using the cranking flywheel vs. the free flywheel in terms of starting or running the motor. It just does not matter, yet having the components laid out like I have done makes the future placement of my cooling and exaust system meet my taste better, and, I think it just looks cool to see the gen head pully from the front of the system :)

I have a lot more development to do on this system before it is complete.  I will keep it posted.  Good luck with your 12/2.  I bet you are psyched!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version