Puppeteer

Author Topic: Stamford Generator with low voltage  (Read 19397 times)

Madness

• View Profile
Re: Stamford Generator with low voltage
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »
Finally found the problem, one diode a dead short. Don't know how I missed that before, anyway I have ordered a new set, will post the results when I get them.

Thank you for our input guys.

Gary

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
Glad to hear that I was losing sleep......it sounded like it should have been working

You could probably kick yourself, but it happens to us all

perseverance usually will always win the day, glad you hung in there instead of sending it off.

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
Getting someone else to do it is very much a last resort for me. Rewinder laughed when I wanted materials to rewind the main field, said I couldn't do it and he wanted $800 to do it. I made a jig out of an old ride on mower front axle and rim, the wire in it is 2.2mm and needed a fair bit of tension. I used a piece of pine with a saw cut and clamp to keep it tight as it rolled on. Took me a day and a half and $130 for the materials, well worth the $670 I saved. No way I was paying $800 when you can buy a chinese copy on ebay for $990.

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
Good work, love stories like that, had a lifetime of people saying that to me, I used to take it on the chin....

Now days I'm not so diplomatic and they  get

"Please dont judge what I can or cant do, using your capabilities as a yardstick"

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
I am a lot less diplomatic than that, I get along with machines better than I do with people. There is long list of things I was told "you can't do that" most times I did do it. Sometimes I tell those people about Henry Ford, he said "it doesn't matter if you think you can or you think you can't your probably right!"

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »
Diodes arrived today, and success  ;D connected the 12v battery to the field and like magic it read 239.9 Volts.

Thank you to those who offered suggestions, it only took 1 diode to result in major damage. I don't know the history of the generator but it appears it must have been run for some time with this fault as the main field was burnt out and the AVR was stuffed. Hopefully I can fix the original AVR to keep as a spare in case the cheap ($38 AUD) chinese AVR karks it.

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 07:26:21 AM »
Thats great news Gary, bring on a blackout!

"$38 AUD" and "karks it" makes me ask

"where the bloody hell are you?"

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:33 AM »
I am planning on going totally off grid and the genny will be for running my welder etc and back up for wind and solar. ATM I live near Nambour QLD.

Now in the middle of converting a dead fridge into a sound reducing box for the generator.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:51:36 AM by Madness »

Diesel Down-under

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
That sounds like a solid plan

We lived on Moreton for a year, house was mostly solar/battery  powered and by coincidence the backup generator was the same model Lister set as the one I have been given.

I cant afford to disconnect from the grid as the excess electricity my 7.5Kwatts of solar produce is sold to the grid for $138/week ATM

maybe when the current solar feed-in tariff system in NSW changes in 2016 it will be a different story, but for now its "make hay whilst the sun shines".

Madness

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »
You would have to have rocks in your head to pass up the grid connected solar income. Maybe you can run your Lister on used veggie oil connected to the grid. At that rate you could live off the income.

If have not done it yet setting up a tracking system for your panels might pay for itself.