Puppeteer

Author Topic: Dayton generator  (Read 4878 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Dayton generator
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
I have been give a Dayton {4W113} gen.with a two cyl Briggs that runs fine but she no puta out.I believe the gen head is made by Generac.It has two slip rings for excitation,what is the proper procedure to flash the field.Red and black wire to the brushes can I assume the red positive.?? Do hope its not the regulator thats gone south. Thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Re: Dayton generator
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 01:38:45 AM »
In all likelyhood this genny was shut down under load,is it just the chinese generators that are damaged ,or is it a problem with all slipring excited generators. By damaged I mean require the reflashing of the field. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

Thob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
If there's a bridge rectifier feeding the field, you can disconnect the input (AC) side of the bridge and feed in 12V there to flash the field (leave the output of the bridge connected to the field).  The bridge will make the polarity be correct for the field.  Just be sure to disconnect everything on the input so the 12V your feeding in doesn't mess with the AC that would ordinarily be there.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
As we used to say in the navy "this is no $hit"my generator problem is solved.I have heard of using an electric drill to flash the field but it sounded too jack leg.Tried it and it works like a champ.Take a corded electric drill,I used a Milwaukee,start the genny plug the drill in.Have the drill direction the same as drilling hold the trigger back and with your hand spin the chuck backwards.I gave it one spin and the drill started.Its so easy it should be the first thing to try. Frank C.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Well ya learn something everyday, great solution to how to flash a generator!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
Cool! I had not heard that one before either.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations