Author Topic: Lister ST-1 starter  (Read 8624 times)

bandmiller2

• View Profile
Lister ST-1 starter
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
I have an old delco bendix type starter I've been tripping over for years.Took a few measurments and it bolted right up to the crank side of my ST-1,spun  it over and it started right up in the cold,not even oil assist.Guess that tells a tail on the old phart thats been cranking it. Its not perfect the drive only catches about half the width of the ring gear.I will have my friend in the business make me up a positive engaugement starter,where the drive is in the ring gear before it spins.Gary which side do they usally mount the starter on a ST-1 Lister, crank side or flywheel side.?? Thanks Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister ST-1 starter
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
Frank,

I'm not certain about the meaning of your question... The ST1 starter mounts parallel to the crank and engages the flywheel ring gear from the engine side of the flywheel. Delco makes the correct bendix to fully engage the Lister ring gear. The starter mounts on the left side of the engine as viewed from front of engine.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:07:05 AM »
Gary,mine will be mounted same as the picture.I ask because it looks like it could be mounted on the outher side of the flywheel if need be. Of course it would change rotation. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

scrapman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 03:13:37 AM »
dieselgman
Would apprecieate if you could tell me if starters for the ST listers will fit the SL model and number of teeth on pinion.
Thanks Peter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 03:17:31 AM »
Yes, ST and SL can use the same starter style and if I remember correctly, it is a 10 tooth pinion on the bendix.

dieselgman

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »
              Most Lister models came in either Clockwise or Anti-clockwise rotation. If you turn the crank handle clockwise to start it, then it is a reverse rotation (clockwise from flywheel end) engine.
If you crank the handle anti-clockwise then it is a normal rotation engine and you will need to select your starter type to suit. Seen a few people get caught out. Most Lister aircooled gensets in Australia were reverse rotation models.   Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »
              Most Lister models came in either Clockwise or Anti-clockwise rotation. If you turn the crank handle clockwise to start it, then it is a reverse rotation (clockwise from flywheel end) engine.
If you crank the handle anti-clockwise then it is a normal rotation engine and you will need to select your starter type to suit. Seen a few people get caught out. Most Lister aircooled gensets in Australia were reverse rotation models.   Combustor.

And if you dont know for sure look for a "Z" in engine number.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
If the bendix is not full engaging the teeth on the flywheel, perhaps a starter with a longer nose is required.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
Good points about engine rotation. The majority of all "industrial" air-cooled Listers around the world are anti-clockwise rotation, also known as reverse rotation. This translates to Anticlockwise viewed from flywheel and also anti-clockwise viewed from camshaft (hand crank) extension on the opposite end. The majority of all marine build engines around the world are clockwise rotation, including marine Lister. This is primarily to accommodate a standard propeller rotation through a gear-box. The starters and bendix drives are provided in both rotation types, and sometimes difficult to sort out for correct operation with your set. Add to that the fact that sometimes the Delco nomenclature for their starter rotation description is at odds with the Lister rotation description scheme.  :P

Obviously Frank has the correct starter rotation if his set will start up with the starter in question. One of the great things about the Delco automotive starters is that they are modular and most parts from different models can interchange freely to modify for a particular usage. They are very widely used and there are plenty of resources in North America for spare parts and the like. This style starter is the standard that we utilize here. I know that there are Asian and European varieties in wide distribution as well...

The Delco 10MT variety can be fitted with a bendix that will fully engage the ST1 ring gear.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:12:58 PM by dieselgman »