Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine suggestions?  (Read 3196 times)

JamesLit

• View Profile
Engine suggestions?
« on: January 29, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »
Hi all,

While I am new to the more "in depth" Lister scene, I've always loved Lister engines. I have a real appreciation for British engineering, especially when it comes to this sort of thing. I adore Mirrlees/Mirrlees Blackstone and Gardner as well as Lister.

I'm also passionate about railways. I know all 3 of the engine companies I've mentioned have built engines used in locomotives. Well, I'm having two of my own locomotives built to 7.25" gauge in the coming years, and want my diesel locomotive to be fitted with a real, British engine, rather than some rubbish Honda or Kubota jobby.

The design will be based upon this loco:
http://www.knightleylightrailway.co.uk/bagnall.htm
which is usually fitted with a Honda petrol engine, as shown in one of the images on that page.

I'm looking for suggestions for suitable Lister or Lister-Petter etc engines to be used in this loco.

My requirements are as per that site (can drive Eaton units, and fit in roughly that kind of space), and 10-15HP. Capability for electric start would be ideal, but I'd not say no to a hand start that won't rip your arm off!

Let me know if you need any other info, but as things are quite up into the air as to final arrangements and such (but I want to plan ahead as much as possible) I may not be able to provide everything info wise.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:29:24 AM by JamesLit »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Engine suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
We see many of the air-cooled Listers used with hydraulic pumps for various equipment power... also have seen ST1 used in full track sized single mini-railcar for maintenance personnel transport. Most of the small twin cylinder Listers are in your horsepower range, but they will require a bit more space and are considerably heavier than a little Honda or Kubota. They do generally come in electric start versions and can be adapted to a wide array of different pumps.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

bandmiller2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »
As Dieselgman mentioned you may have a problem physically fitting the listers in your engine compartment.Something like a Hatz or Lamberdini diesel would be easier to stuff in.I'am partial to the live steam models,theirs a club in Holliston Ma. not far from me.Seems every year theirs fewer and fewer steamers at the meets,guess its just like the real roads just so much easier to dieselize. Frank C.
Fast cheap and easy are seductive sirens,its a rare man that does not court their pleasures.

JamesLit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
Thank you both for your suggestions.

Since posting this, the idea behind the locomotive has changed significantly and several new ones have been thought up. Luckily, I've now got a more solid idea of what I want, and have been recommended the LT1 or LT1A for it. I shall have to see if they are suitable. I've emailed Doug at Realdiesels about them as I may well end up buying one from him.

Nevertheless, thanks to you both for your suggestions.