Puppeteer

Author Topic: Upping the HP on a 6/1  (Read 39224 times)

johnny williams

• View Profile
Upping the HP on a 6/1
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:16:27 AM »
Has anyone tried changing the flywheels on a 6/1 to eather the 8 or 10 HP wheels and increasing the RPM's. I know we want to keep thes engines running as slow as possible but this looks like an inexpensive way to get more HP. Thanks for any and all replies.

listeroidsusa

Re: Upping the HP on a 6/1
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:54:56 AM »
Yes, this can easily be done. I have 10 hp flywheels on the 6/1 at my shop and the heavier flywheels definitely help keep the engine running steadier. I am also building a new version of the serpentine pulleys for the ST generators, what I call the SuperMax line. These also help with the flickering and contribute to steadier running.

All of the GM-90 engines from 6-12 hp have the same stroke, just the liners and pistons are bigger. When the time comes for my first decarb I'll check on the interchangeability of the 6/1 liners and cylinder block with the larger bore liners and pistons.

Mike

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 11:26:02 AM »
You can always add a turbocharger.  On George B's site at www.utterpower.com there is an article about Andre Dancause (sp?) who lives in Quebec.  He added a Turbo from a VW 1.6 to his 6/1, increased the output substantially.  He did that a few years ago, I haven't talked to him recently so I don't know if he still has it on, or what the long term effects have been.  Have a look on George's site under "articles" I think you will see it there - it's an interesting project.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

kyradawg

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:07:10 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:17:59 AM by kyradawg »

sawmiller

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 04:16:59 PM »
kur dog

Regards
Tim

=========================
Tim, Personal attacks are not allowed or welcome here.  If you posts have to modified again, you will get banned

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:05:13 PM by t19 »

kyradawg

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:18:41 AM by kyradawg »

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 04:31:39 PM »
Wow! someone is getting pretty upity with darren.. all he did was make some  comments on the turbo... and I think the his thoughts are likely spot on.. if you are sizing a turbo.. it's not the size of the engine that matters but the CFM comming out that counts.. and 1/2 of a psi isn't very mucho boosto... Yesterday I just got a  RHB3 off of a yanmar TNV84 1.5L...(actually I got the entire engine)..  I bought a new engine for a friend's fisshing boat.. (becuse I get them at a discount.. my price was less than 1/2 of the retail) and because I saved him about $3k the deal is I got the old engine.. the original engine got hydrauliced and poked a rod out the side of the CC... I think these use the RHB3 turbo.. (I havn't seen the engine yet) if it is so I may install it on the Lister or a petter just for kicks..   

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
BTW if you send a 5-9 PSI boost binto the lister intake you will imediatly blow the head gasket.. I know this because I've done it... I would recomend machining a grove into the head and making a copper ring gasket.. Then use RTV to seal the water passages... That's what I did to keep the higher pressure in..

kyradawg

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 05:04:16 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:19:08 AM by kyradawg »

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
Mr Dancause's turbo is a nice safe application with a reasonable boost.
His power increase is documented and although it was not a huge increase it was substantial.
If you want a large turbo boost you will need to lower the compression ratio to prevent engine damage. Then you would lose some efficiency.
I think that Mr. Dancause' outfit is good because: 1) It does not overstress the engine
                                                                     2) It has full flow oil filteration
                                                                     3) It has a power increase that justifies the investment
                                                                     4) It was one of the first with electric start, which I shamelessly copied on my twin

I 'hear' all of you. Fatty has run up against the head gasket problem from a different direction on this application, but we have all discussed the head gasket and possible improvements. That's good.
All this discussion is good. From theoretical (Darren) to hidebound traditionalist (Guy) and all of you in between.
I do like the head gasket solution that does not require machining the original engine. That way it would be easy for anyone to upgrade.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

sawmiller

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 05:16:14 PM »
Kurdog
You need to go back and read the page again because you did not get it the other times. It says he made 5200 watts . you cant
do that with a n.a. engine.

Regards
Tim

kyradawg

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 05:49:49 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:19:49 AM by kyradawg »

sawmiller

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »
Kurdog
 You need to read, if you can
Tim

kyradawg

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:20:13 AM by kyradawg »

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 06:14:04 PM »
Ya' I don't get it ethier... Why is Tim so pissed???  did someone piss in his cereal this moring???  now he's taking it out on Darren.. I'm a little new here so maybe this has been brewing for a while... I don't know... Tim, Darren is obviously somewhat knowledgeable... and he can read... why you got to go and slam him like that? Darren there's a difference between 650 RPM at idle and 650 under power... under power there's more expansion in the exhaust gas.. so while the CFM may be X at 650 on the VW at idle it will be more like Y on the lister at 650 under power.. this is not an apples to apples comparison..  in truth the turbo is likely to offer some boost at 650 on the VW at the same fuel input.. a slightly smaller turbo would obvoiusly work better... I would also suggest some sort of reservour as an accumulator on both the exhaust and the inlet side to even out the pressure impulses caused by the lister's big 1 banger exhaust...