Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ruston College Engine & Dynamometer  (Read 28704 times)

listerdiesel

• View Profile
Ruston College Engine & Dynamometer
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:35 AM »
We have just picked up another college engine/dyno set from ebay:

It is a Ruston & Hornsby 1YB vertical water-cooled diesel, 6bhp, with a Mawdsley Dynamometer attached, all on a bedframe.

It has the original control switchboard and meters, and is 220V DC.

There are a few attachments for the purposes of the instructional function of the set, a drive pulley and contacts for a Farnboro Indicator, and also a device on the injector which is unspecified at present, but we think a transducer for the injection side of things.

It is a runner, so a bit of cleaning up, get a decent exhaust and it should be out in the summer with its big brother.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:47:04 PM by listerdiesel »

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Ruston College Engine & Dynamometer
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »
Exquisite set up, jealous!  It pays to watch the ads and auctions ! 
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:15 AM »
The radiator and header tank are non-original, and we are working on a structure to hold a cooling tank and fuel tank the same as the 1ZHR Ruston.

We have this trolley chassis available:

Just need to sort out some wheels, the axles are with it at present but not shown in the picture.

Bought a set of Bren Gun Carrier wheels in the week, hope to be able to do something with them like the set on the 1ZHR.

Peter

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:49 PM »
Nice Peter! I just found another rather odd one my self thread is above this one.  Finding and fetching sure is fun!

Butch
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »
Very nice! The only antiques I can find in Alaska are rotted to the ground.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »
It was on ebay, nobody else bid, £300 or just over $US 500.

Took off the extraneous metalwork, fuel tank, radiator etc, got the control panel free of the angle-iron frame, then took it off the pallet.

Measure-up for a couple of axle support tubes tomorrow, I have ready-made axle sets and turntable plates, just need to get that reaction rod plate and bracket off the chassis, it is 3/4" steel plates for God's sake!

Peter

More pictures:

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
Started to get the trolley sorted out this week, hope to get this running in time for the Essex Country Show in September.

Dug out the original Ruston trolley frame from under our pile of Land Rover spare axles etc, and took stock of the situation.

The trolley frame is long enough to take the engine, dynamometer and control panel in a line along its length, with the control panel towards the side on one side and the load bank (which we have yet to build) behind it.

That should leave us with most of the interesting bits on show, including the spring balance which didn't come with the engine.

We have had four pieces of heavy 100X60mm box cut to support the engine and dynamo, plus we will to raise the dynamo further by about 15/16" to get the centres right with the engine.

The engine base is quite small, 6" X 9-3/4" fixing centres, which is why the sections nearest the camera are so close together.

Progress went pretty well, in between going back inside to listen to how the Test match was going....

I have drilled all the cross members and have drilled the chassis exactly per the drawing of the old chassis that we scrapped. Got to raise the dynamo up by 15/16" (may have already mentioned that) but other than that we have it all done, bar the M12 insierts that we need for the two dynamo mounts.

I can get my arm down the chassis so far, but those two sets are just two far in.

The engine bolt holes are 5/8" or 16mm, didn't have a drill at the factory but have one here on my desk at home...

Swept up and came home for a shower and a bite to eat.

Peter

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »
Just in case no one has mentioned it lately.  How very lucky these engines are to be in the right hands.

Thanks for sharing your good fortune with us - the envious crowd looking up at the curtains and wondering how it's really done.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
Thanks, Casey, it's nice to share these things as we go along.

Drilled the 16mm holes for the M12 nutserts today, and then the 14mm (9/16" UNF) holes for the dynamo feet, the steelwork goes for shotblasting/Zinc Spraying and powder coating tomorrow, when they get back we will try a quick assembly to see how it looks.

That engine is surprisingly heavy for a single cylinder, 491# or 223kg.  The Dynamo is probably the same if not more.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
Notwithstanding square bolts in round holes, after a busy month end this week, I had a chance to get back on the genny and get some serious work done.

First of all, we got the engine support beams back on last week:

We just needed a solution for the generator frame bolts, which we did by welding strips of 35mm wide 2mm stainless to the back of the M12 coachbolts in pairs, so they wouldn't try and turn when we tightened them up:

First job was to get the engine and dynamo off the pallet by the factory gate, and up onto the raised area by the shutter where I keep the Ruston 1ZHR:

The engine sat down OK, the dynamo needs new coupling bushes, and I used the Greenlee hole punch hydraulic ram to extract the old ones:

The old bushes were absolutely shot:

1.125" X 1.125" X 1/2" bore, Clayflex originally, they made bushes for Land Rover in the 50's and 60's. Can't see them now....

After that I got the mountings bolted up and the packing pieces fitted, got to check the centre height now.

Just having a cool off in the office, it's still hot out there!

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
More bits turned up, the new bushes were here very promptly:

Also the blanks for the wheel hub retainers also came, but just bits of alloy bar at present, albeit 4.5" alloy bar.

The packing pieces we did for the dynamo looked a bit 'skimpy' to me, although they were more than adequate for the job and provided support for the machined pad on the dynamo brackets:

But I wasn't happy, and after umming and ahhing about it I ordered a longer bit of alloy bar so I could make them longer. I also drilled them today after getting the blank bar cut into four pieces:

There is a load of 30mm X 30mm X 3mm box on its way for the framing to carry the fuel and cooling tanks, and also the support frame for the heavy control panel. This last frame will sit on four 70mm rubber mounts.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
The lengths of 30 X 30 box section arrived this morning, so I dug into my 'useful spares boxes' for some nice large rubber mounts that I bought cheap on ebay probably 5-6 years back, stupidly cheap enough to put on the shelf.

There are two sets of four, female-female and female-male threads.

I used the female-female ones as they came out of the box first :)

The centres of the fixing holes dictated the width of the carrying beams, the bottom beams could go almost anywhere, but in the end they went on the centreline of the frame members and I got four bits out of two lengths of box with virtually no wastage.

I'll get the verrtical and top cross-pieces cut later to suit the panel, then Philip can come and weld them all up.

.....and he did:

Going to cut and drill the main supports tonight and chamfer the top corners, might have the control panel mount finished tomorrow if the 10g gussets arrive.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
As I mentioned on another thread elsewhere the other day, the Ruston YB mounting holes are not that easy to get a full-size bolt through, as the casting overhangs the hole, which is 5/8" clearance.

If you have anything that is much thicker than 6-7mm, you'll have trouble getting a bolt through unless you come up from underneath with the nut on top.

One mine, I turned down some M16 X 65 bolts to suit, so that I could use two heavy washers and Nylocs on the nuts:

That makes the engine pretty secure, although I guess that there may be some flex in the mounting box sections, we'll have to wait and see.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
I cut up all of the fuel tank frame box section last night, and during today cut and drilled the flat bar for the four feet.

The trolley frame is 6mm wall, so I just drilled and tapped it M8 X 8 holes.

With Philip welding and me helping, we got the whole frame up together without too many issues, and nicely square.

There is a 14g steel cover going over the top of the frame that will carry the cooling tank and fuel tank, plus I have to organise an attachment for the spring balance that hooks onto the dynamometer casing.

Peter

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
Looking great. Thanks for the detailed posts.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire