Author Topic: electric motor or direct drive?  (Read 3694 times)

650rpm

• View Profile
    • My Listeroid CS Photo Album
electric motor or direct drive?
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:15:28 PM »
I have a 6/1 with an st5 head.

I would like to run some woodworking tools. 

Two ideas:

1. I was going to setup a 240volt circut, so I can make full use of the ST5s capacity without modifying it. What I wonder is: what is the largest HP motor can this setup handle; the main concern being the startup surge,( the load itself I sure would be fine). The one tool I have requires a 3-5 hp motor. If anyone out there has tested a motor of this size with a 6/1 st5 setup let me know.

2.I was also thinking of direct driving it off the listeroid, but I have yet to source out an apropriate hand clutch, so I can immediately stop the planer without having to stop the engine. If anyone has done this, or knows about an apropriate clutch let me know.

Mike

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
Re: electric motor or direct drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:03:05 PM »
  If you have any agricultural irrgation applications near you check them out.  If they use an engine to drive the well pump they should have a hand operated clutch to engage a running engine to the well.  Works the same as a car clutch just use a hand lever instead of a pedal and linkage.  Getting it attached to the engine would need to be worked out.  Les
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
I would be real surprised if some of the listeroid builders did not have a clutched pulley opition.

listeroidsusa

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 03:07:03 AM »
I have not seen a clutch option although I have emailed photos of the old US made toggle clutches used on old tractors and hit'n miss engines to several manufacturers in Iindia.. No one seemed interested in building them. They do have what they call a fast & loose clutch system for flat belts. One pulley is on a bearing and the other is fastened onto the Listeroid shaft. The clutch consists of shifting the belt from the idler pulley to the engine shaft.

I have seen something interesting however, Surplus Center has or had some 10" centrifugal clutches at a reasonable price. Alternately one could be built on a lathe using a car brake drum and linings that would work pretty good. You'd need to rig up a lawnmower throttle cable to tighten the governor spring on the listeroid for throttle control. It would need stops for minimum and maximum speeds.

Mike