Puppeteer

Author Topic: Twin cam carrier  (Read 2446 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Twin cam carrier
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
After seeing that the clearance between the center cam carrier and the block were way out of line and thinking about the stories of the twins breaking cams I took a piece of brass shim stock and wrapped the carrier with a piece of .005 shim stock to reduce the clearance to almost "friction fit". I carefully glued the stock to the center carrier with JB Weld and I believe it will provide a "proper fix". I hope to have it in "running order'" in the next couple of weeks and them we will see !
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:35:51 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Thob

• View Profile
Re: Twin cam carrier
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
Is there any way you could get in there with a boring bar, supported by the two outer bearings, and bore the center true and to the right size?  I thinking about something along the lines of a DIY line boring setup - a long round bar with a cutter near the center.  You could probably put a crank on it and turn it by hand with a sharp bit and shallow cuts.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: Twin cam carrier
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:02:54 PM »
Thob,
The problem in my case was that the hole in the crankcase was too large. It is straight but about .0115 to large for the carrier. With the down force of the lifters and the side force of the oil pump I thought that might have been one of the problems with the cams breaking in these engines we have read about. I bought this engine with the intent of doing a "back yard blueprint"  with my limited tools and skills. So far I have been happy with the way its going. I just installed the no.1 cylinder and ended up with .076 head squash. I am happy with that as the book says between .075 and .080     We will see !

Gary
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"