Author Topic: valve guide question  (Read 3766 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
valve guide question
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
Hey guys,
Been a while but I finally have some time to work on my Ashwamegh 25/2 again. It looks like the valve guides are reversed on one of the heads. The reason I say this is because the "recessed cup" area, associated with the exhaust guide, is on the intake side. What is the procedeure for removing the guides ? Are they a press fit ?
OR do I need a new head with the proper configuration ?

Thanks for your time,
32 coupe
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: valve guide question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »
Mine are press out. I think all the 'roids are. The original Listers were screw out.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:37:47 AM »
Original Lister CS exhaust guide was threaded while the inlet was press fit... at some point the Indians decided to change over to both press-fit guides and they are interchangeable, can be swapped from one port to the other as is required for cylinder head #2 on the twins. I suppose they saved a bit in machine work.  :laugh:

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
At some point the Indians decided to change over to both press-fit guides and they are interchangeable, can be swapped from one port to the other as is required for cylinder head #2 on the twins

Doing what they do best, by copying Listers own updated ideas, ie Listers did this from the get go with the VA engine. Which was a late addition to the CS range, and its cylinder head design was an amalgamation of CS and the latest lister aircooled design in production at that time AKA the LD and SL engines.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »
Yep,
An hour or so at the old Atlas lathe and I turned a nice stepped drift from some old brass stock and they tapped right out.
Thanks guys !
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
I use a air hammer on guides have for years tarted on VW heads just don't over do it.  Tom