Puppeteer

Author Topic: Who's Importing Petteroids?  (Read 12980 times)

Halfnuts

• View Profile
Who's Importing Petteroids?
« on: June 16, 2006, 03:46:57 AM »
Speaking of Petteroids, who's importing them these days? 

Seems a few folks are importing Listeroids, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Petteroids.  I have a freind who needs more reliable backup power for his server-farm than a few deep cycle batteries and UPSs can provide.  'Least that's the story he tells.  I think he just wants an engine to play with.

Halfnuts

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
Re: Who's Importing Petteroids?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:56:31 PM »
Waggonner engine works, 60 to 90 day lead time WesternStar66@aol.com

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:08:25 PM »
Thank you.  I'll have my friend contact him.

Halfnuts

DirtbikePilot

• Spinning flywheels are cool....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 03:57:29 AM »
Eric at RMPS had a 6 hp air cooled petter for sale a while ago. He can always get more.
Currently no listeroids, sad........ very sad.....
Just some other antique engines ranging from 40 pounds to 33,000 pounds each.

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 03:25:24 AM »
Halfnuts,

I have a 4HP Mini-Petter and a 12HP Petteroid.
These are in stock ready to ship.

The picture is of the Mini-Petter, the 12HP is just the same but bigger.

Pat
altopro.ca
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

Doug

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 03:45:40 AM »
How much for the 12hp Petter?
Bore, Stroke?
Who built them?
Full presure oiling with a gear pump ( including rod bearing and cam bushing? )
TRB or Bushing?
What fly wheels? several different weights depending on the aplication. Do these have a ring gear for a starter
Steel or Iron gears in the valve train?
Internal bipass filter or external spin on?
Do you include the flywheel adapter kits for direct drive shaft or pullies?
Are these ones rated for 1800 rpm?

Doug
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 04:07:04 AM by Doug »

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 06:00:17 PM »
Hello Doug,

I'm asking 1500$can. These are made by Kissan. We are Kissan's Canadian distributor. We are working directly with this manufacturer, not an exporter who would get his engines from the lowest bidder.

The 12HP Petter clone is still in the crate. I haven't opened the crate yet. I have only inspected and ran the 4HP mini-Petter, the quality and finish are good. It's obvious that Petters are a lot more popular than Lister in India thus all the efforts invested into quality to compete locally.

Here is what I know:
Bore 102mm, stroke 115mm, TRB bearings, 1500RPM, oil pump.
I know that the indians are pushing these to 1800RPM to make 60Hz generators.
No flywheel adaptor.
Manufactured Feb/06 (before the new EPA regualtion)

If you are interested, I could investigate more. What would you use it for?

Cheers,

PAT
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:03:20 PM by altopro »
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

Doug

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 09:32:16 PM »
I have an industrial customers looking for an water cooled engines. Petter AV types were originaly used for this purpose.
I've already talked to Kissan thanks. All their engines are rated for 1800 rpm ( That is the clones of the s AV2 ).
So if I understand you selling a standard TRB Petter long stroke.
Possibly with a piston oil pump right?
Possibly the general purpose light weight flywheel?

What made you choose this particular combination?

Doug
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:40:27 PM by Doug »

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 06:46:40 PM »
Doug,

No doubt, you are very knowledgeable about these engines. We need more guys like you on this forum.

What made you choose this particular combination?
It's a standard Petter clone. Unlike most dealers that mostly sell Listeroids, I ordered a few Petteroids.
The main reason was to study them and try to become as knowledgeable than you are.

Let me know your requirements, I'll be glad to work with you.

What do you call a light weight flywheel exactly?

PAT
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

Doug

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 08:31:28 PM »
Dependign on the aplication the weight ranges from 62 kg to 32 kg. Pumps sets don't need a high level of of speed regulation so they tend to be sold with the light light weight general purpose.
At this time I have a Petter on order same bore and stroke you have but mine was custom built for my aplication in mind. When the ship pulls in and I do some testing we can compare notes on the performance and emmisons if you like.
I'm not all that knowledgeable, I just did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions. FYI the 115 stroke length you ordered seems to be an Indian thing standard Petter AV2 series 1, 2 and 3 all had a 110 stroke length, I have the KOEL 116 cranks. Did you get full presure lube for the cam bearing and rocker box? Often you have to ask for this. The gear pump lubed engines offer a bypass filter, a further option on the spin on oil filter. Order the PTO kits these engines are almost useless with out them for anything other than belt drive off the flywheel ( note the hub adapter in this picture this allows you to bolt on one of 4 options flat belt drive, v belt drive and long and short key shafts. Get steel gears in the valve train if your going to run accessories like a water pump or alternator, I'm pushing my luck with this set up.
Other thoughts:

TBRs at these speeds are going to be noisy and I question the reliability.
Oil strainer in the Piston pump is esential useless.
Get the adjustable speed govener kit.
And if you order any more ask about the EPA compliance, I know new castings and pistons are already in production.

Doug

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »
My favorite petter is the 87.5 x 110 with TRB, external cam oiler and piston oil pump... a bypass oil filter on the cam oiler tube seems like a good idea..  I order all the engines with starter gears just in case someone wants to install a starter... I like the 87.5 size best because the bore is large enough to combust the fuel well but they don't seem to vibrate as much as the larger bore engines... I find them to run really smooth as long as they are run between 700 - 1200 RPM.. 4 HP seems like a reasonable output at this speed..  I think the large bore engines vibrate more due to the weight relationship of the crankcase cylinder assembly to the compression  / power output of the larger cylinder. If I needed more power I would go to a 2 cylinder.. I've noticed that my supplier uses a heavier flywheel and larger rod  on the 8-10 HP engines...  I have 2ea 10 HP engines equiped with starters with starters and 116mm stroke, gear oil pumps, and a couple of 8 HP's with starter gears on the flywheels  that I'd be willing to sell if anyone is interested. I'm in Sacto CA and would prefer not to ship them..

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
Altopro, how are those engines with regard to smoke when running?

I have yet to hear anyone say their engine clears up completely when running.

Some futher input on these engines would be useful.

Emerald

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 07:25:54 PM »
Emerald---

Just yesterday I was pumping water with my 3.5HP MP pumpset and noticed the smoke stopped when the upper outlet water hit 197F.   Boiling here is 199.

Warm it up and load it up and they run smoke free.....after break-in.  Mine took nearly 50 hours for that.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »
hotater, thanks for that I hope yours is the rule and not the exception.

Anyone else care to post their experiences with these engines. We really do not have much info on them in comparison to the CS clone. it is very useful to see what brands are working out the best and what the smoke problem is/could be when compared over several brands.

Emerald

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
Mine are Ashwamegh/Vijay Eng.,  and aside from the usual bad hoses and fuel storage parts and re-fitting and inspecting the entire engine, a la Listeroid, have been enjoyable engines.  I use the pump quite a bit.
  Mount them SOLID to a lot of concrete and the entire 'character' of the engine changes....into a solid, quiet-running little engine that I sometimes forget is working.  It  'seems' to  *make* fuel instead of use it.  VERY economical.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.